Why is my LG G3 boot looping to a blue screen?

kalunayake

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
OK, guys. Here's what I did... I tried 3 different methods and they each worked for a little but somehow, all 3 are working together.

Firstly, for those with the wifi / BT issues and blue screen / loop restart. I had them all....

If you have wifi BT issues

1: Restart your phone in safe mode (Hold down 'ON' and 'volume down' until a screen with "SAFE MODE" appears)

Go into your settings and turn off the BT, turn on the wifi. Then restart the phone. It will automatically restart in the regular mode.

If you have blue screen / looping restart / flickering

"fix-lg-g3-blue-screen-death-fix" - For the baking method

1: Bake the motherboard for 10 mins at 350F/180C.

2: Search for the 4:23 video and follow the steps. "flickering screen lg g3 permanent fix 100%"

I did all 3 of these things and it's working like a charm so far.

AM FS

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
Fixed my LG G3 blue screen of death

My LG G3 had the blue screen of death...but I fixed it. I opened up my phone (unscrewed it open), took out the motherboard. Preheated my oven to 350° fahrenheit and stuck it on a cookie sheet (on foil) for 9-10 minutes. Put it back together and now my phone works even better than before...it's a lot faster. I found this trick on YouTube. Look it up...it works. I'm super happy that I didn't lose any of my internal photos.

zalphor

Mar 13, 2018
Visit site
I would just like to say i was extremely skeptical this would actually solve the problem.it seems to me like hitting a nail in with a sledge hammer. if i was a professional with a heatgun the story might be different but thats not the case.

I decided that at the very least i was gonna recycle my phone anyways and i had already tried a factory reset so it didnt really matter what happened from this point on.

I took it to the oven, preheated the oven to about 340F ish, put it in for 10 minutes, let it cool down, and plugged it in.

It works, i dont know for how long but it works. i must say i was surprised when it made it past the LG logo.

A word of warning though, this worked for me in this moment, but it likely wont work for too much longer so anyone coming into this thread understand that this is not a permanent fix. Save up for a new phone or find a way to get a spare.

If it happened once before, IT CAN HAPPEN AGAIN. and there is no telling if the fix will continue to work.

snandig

May 5, 2018
Visit site
While on Instagram my G3 screen suddenly went blue and proceeded to boot loop. I get to the LG logo and then a blue screen follows, then the phone turns off and reboots to do the same thing over again, refusing to start up

I have tried to re-flash the stock ROM but i'm not able to access download mode as the screen just returns to the blue screen and shuts off.

Does anybody have any experience with this issue?

View attachment 195597

I got the same issue but, i fixed it in 30 mins.

1. Took out motherboard. Easy and it took around 10 mins.
2. Kept the motherboard in the oven for 8 mins at 180F heat.
3. Took out from oven and waited for 5 mins to cool down.
4. Installed motherboard back into the phone and it worked.

E39BMW98

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Just wanted to throw in my experience with this issue.

My mom has a VS985 G3 that gave the blue screen a couple weeks ago, and she told me about the oven trick. I wasn't crazy about the idea of putting the motherboard in the oven, so instead I removed the motherboard, removed the SIM card (forgot to do this the second time... do NOT forget to remove it!) and covered the components surrounding the processor with aluminum foil. It would be better to use a better heat resistant covering, but the foil is what I had.
Then, I hit it with my heat gun on the low setting (around 576 degrees Fahrenheit). Just keep it moving around over the processor to keep it from getting too hot. I used my infrared thermometer to check the temperature of the board and I kept it around 220 F/100 C. I did this for about 4-5 minutes, then let it cool off for about 15 minutes before reinstalling in the phone.

The phone powered back up and worked well for about two weeks before I did it again. So far it's been good for the past 4-5 days, but I know it will not last too long and I told her it was time for a new phone.

So, if you don't like the idea of baking your phone's motherboard and you don't have a soldering/rework station with a precision hot air gun, a heat gun will work just fine. If you don't have a heat gun but you have a hair dryer, that might do the job, but a heat gun would really be the better option. Just go pick up a heat gun from Harbor Freight for $8.99 with the coupon. Cheaper than a new phone if you're in a pinch!

elyasLG

Jun 12, 2018
Visit site
Hi everybody,
I must try a trick tomorrow, It is about putting the motherboard in the oven at 350F° for 10min. As I have seen in other websites, It must be our best solution.

E39BMW98

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi everybody,
I must try a trick tomorrow, It is about putting the motherboard in the oven at 350F° for 10min. As I have seen in other websites, It must be our best solution.

As in my last post, if you have a heat gun, I would recommend trying that first. I think it's probably a little safer of an option than the oven method.
Good luck!

elyasLG

Jun 12, 2018
Visit site
I have just done doing that, I and Mom surprised when the phone worked,
First the blue screen popped up again , but It gone after the second try.

Thank you, I did not see your reply , so I have just tried to put it in the oven...that really worked.

Last edited by a moderator:

steveathome

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
My wife's G3 died a week ago (bootloop issue) so she got a G6 which she loves. As an electronics engineer I decided to see if I could do a quick and dirty repair before binning it. I stripped the phone down to the motherboard, stuck the board in the oven for 3 mins at 180C, reassembled it and it now works perfectly. Lets see for how long!

LGG3Fan42

Aug 19, 2018
Visit site
As in my last post, if you have a heat gun, I would recommend trying that first. I think it's probably a little safer of an option than the oven method.
Good luck!

I would think you stand a chance of dammaging some parts that shouldn't be heated. They bake the motherboards during manufacture to flow the solder paste into all the connections. All the motherboards components can easily handle the heat of remelting the solder. I wouldn't say that about the screen or camera or the speaker. So you have to balance how much heat between damaging some parts and getting it hot enough to make the solder flow and fix any continuity breaks.

The lowest melting point for solder pastes I found was 361°F (183° C). So I stuck my oven on 365 to be sure it would reflow properly. After 10 minutes, the oven went off and the door came open. I left it in the oven until the pyrex dish it was in was cool enough to pick up by hand. I didn't want to move anything while the solder was still molten.

That was last night and the phone seems as good as new. I'll be adjusting the heat up a little and rebaking if it BSODs again.

E39BMW98

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I would think you stand a chance of dammaging some parts that shouldn't be heated. They bake the motherboards during manufacture to flow the solder paste into all the connections. All the motherboards components can easily handle the heat of remelting the solder. I wouldn't say that about the screen or camera or the speaker. So you have to balance how much heat between damaging some parts and getting it hot enough to make the solder flow and fix any continuity breaks.

The lowest melting point for solder pastes I found was 361°F (183° C). So I stuck my oven on 365 to be sure it would reflow properly. After 10 minutes, the oven went off and the door came open. I left it in the oven until the pyrex dish it was in was cool enough to pick up by hand. I didn't want to move anything while the solder was still molten.

That was last night and the phone seems as good as new. I'll be adjusting the heat up a little and rebaking if it BSODs again.

Well, for that matter if baking it doesn't hurt anything I don't see why a heat gun would. I've tried that method multiple times with success. One of my G3s still works after a week (non-continuous use) and the other one I heated at least 5-6 times, and eventually it only lasted a couple hours.
I only heat it to about 260°F max. Seems to work for me.

I removed the motherboard too, I woulnd't heat it in the phone. I don't like the idea of heating the rest of the phone up that much.

iWood Timber

Sep 11, 2018
Visit site
Just signed up to say the oven method worked for me too! I thought it was a joke at first but then saw the photos. Successfully baked motherboard saved the day. Two thumbs up.phone oven.jpgIMG-20180910-WA0007.jpg

steveathome

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Well after 3 months my G3 died again (the day after I accidentally dropped it onto a hard surface - no visible damage). Again I stripped it down to the motherboard and this time baked it in the oven at 200C for 3 mins, (3 months ago I baked it at 180C). Anyway, re-assembled and it now working again.

Update: blue screen appeared after 1 week, so did a bit of research on solder reflow temperatures, baked board in the oven at 230C for 3 mins - working again!

Last edited:

Kooosh

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Mine finally blue screened today after 4 years. Cooked the mobo at 325F for 9 minutes, and it's working again. Nice.

Update: blue screen appeared after 1 week, so did a bit of research on solder reflow temperatures, baked board in the oven at 230C for 3 mins - working again!

Thank you for that. If I have to rebake, I'll try at a higher temperature for less time.

steveathome

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Last week or so the touchscreen kept freezing, usually after a bit of use (i.e. the processor warming up). Anyway, did a bit more research and somebody suggested putting an old micro SIM card underneath the motherboard directly under the black processor chip. To be honest a bit of an old plastic card would do as it's the same thickness. Anyway, I assume it exerts extra pressure on the pins of the processor. I reassembled the phone and it has worked perfectly since.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy