G3 Is it worth to buy is or not ?

sip1995

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
I'll buy a new phone next week and i really like to G3. I like the design, screen and its camera, so my question is : Is it worth to buy it or not ? I'm asking because the 2015 and i'm afraid if the G3 got old.

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
The camera was very good for when it came out and it's still decent now, although it won't match the latest from LG or Samsung from 2015.
To be honest it's feeling it's age now, battery life is meh, lag in the UI sometimes and the screen doesn't match newer 2k screens on brightness or battery efficiency.
But the G3 is much cheaper than any 2015 flagship.
You pays your money and you makes your choice.
If you can afford a 2015 flagship then buy one, if you can't then the G3 is good value for money but don't think you'll get £600 worth of phone for £200 because you won't.

sip1995

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Because the G3 32gb (3gb ram) costs only 275€, meanwhile the G4 costs 400+ nad the V10, well it's available in my country yet.

sip1995

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
The camera was very good for when it came out and it's still decent now, although it won't match the latest from LG or Samsung from 2015.
To be honest it's feeling it's age now, battery life is meh, lag in the UI sometimes and the screen doesn't match newer 2k screens on brightness or battery efficiency.
But the G3 is much cheaper than any 2015 flagship.
You pays your money and you makes your choice.
If you can afford a 2015 flagship then buy one, if you can't then the G3 is good value for money but don't think you'll get £600 worth of phone for £200 because you won't.
I know its problems and specs and i know that it can't match todays flagships, but i think it's ok for me, keep in mind that my current phone is the 1st Xperia Z, so "anything" is better than this. I read that Android 5.1.1 solved some of its problems, the lag actually... As for the price, the G3 costs 275€ and i can't spend more, i actually did a research and i found that the G3 with 3GB Ram is the best phone i could find in my country.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I know its problems and specs and i know that it can't match todays flagships, but i think it's ok for me, keep in mind that my current phone is the 1st Xperia Z, so "anything" is better than this. I read that Android 5.1.1 solved some of its problems, the lag actually... As for the price, the G3 costs 275€ and i can't spend more, i actually did a research and i found that the G3 with 3GB Ram is the best phone i could find in my country.

I can't think of a reason to not buy the G3, I'd just be more inclined to look for the Moto X Play or Nexus 5X if they're available.

sip1995

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
I can't think of a reason to not buy the G3, I'd just be more inclined to look for the Moto X Play or Nexus 5X if they're available.

Actually both of them are available, but they are "somehow" expensive, for me at least...Moto X Play costs 340€ and the Nexus costs 470€... So since my budget is 280€ (with the shipment costs), I also found the Moto X 2ndGen 2014 for 275€, but i didn't like its camera, so the G3 seems to be the best option. What do you think, is it really the best option ?

rexbaumgartner

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I bought the G3 about a month ago, new in sealed box from an eBay vendor (likely factory refurb). I had been using the iPhone 6 and missed the unique aspects the android offers.

I have been very happy with the G3 in every way, except for the camera. I simply can not get a crisp picture for some reason.

Yesterday, I put the sim back in the iPhone and used it for the day.. I couldn't wait to get home from work to fire up the G3 again! (I is a sim adaptor so the nano sim works in the G3.

Bottom line, I paid $200 for the G3 and feel it is well worth it.

Nova launcher is smooth as silk!

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

It sounds like you'll probably be very happy with the G3 because it's not a bad phone and it's in your price range.
I moved from a Z2 to the G3 and it was a camera and screen upgrade, the G3 is slower than the Z2 in daily use but because the G3 camera is so much better then the Z2 it makes up for any other failings.
There isn't an Android 5.1.1 for the G3 in the UK, it looks like the update was for certain carrier versions in the US, so I can't say if it improves the lag or not.
What I do know is running 5.1 (latest in UK with an unbranded phone on EE) If I try to return to my homescreen from a memory intensive app (Facebook or Spotify are two examples) I tend to be looking at an empty homescreen for a few seconds, then it refreshes the icons and widgets (Stock and Nova launcher.)
There's also sometimes a second or two of empty homescreen when unlocking the phone.
A clear out of the recent apps daily or a reboot seems to help for a while but it's not ideal.
If I go to recents and try to switch to a different app I tend to have an empty blank screen for a few seconds.

In defense of the battery (which is also worse than the Z2) I use a wireless charging pad at work and full USB charge overnight so my battery doesn't generally cause me problems, I also carry a spare battery.
Also because of the lag I don't use my G3 as much as previous phones so that helps with the battery as well.

sip1995

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
I bought the G3 about a month ago, new in sealed box from an eBay vendor (likely factory refurb). I had been using the iPhone 6 and missed the unique aspects the android offers.

I have been very happy with the G3 in every way, except for the camera. I simply can not get a crisp picture for some reason.

Yesterday, I put the sim back in the iPhone and used it for the day.. I couldn't wait to get home from work to fire up the G3 again! (I is a sim adaptor so the nano sim works in the G3.

Bottom line, I paid $200 for the G3 and feel it is well worth it.

Nova launcher is smooth as silk!

When you say that you can't get a crisp photos.....Are the photos really awful ? btw my other option is the Moto X 2ndGen 2014, so do you think is better option than the G3.

sip1995

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
It sounds like you'll probably be very happy with the G3 because it's not a bad phone and it's in your price range.
I moved from a Z2 to the G3 and it was a camera and screen upgrade, the G3 is slower than the Z2 in daily use but because the G3 camera is so much better then the Z2 it makes up for any other failings.
There isn't an Android 5.1.1 for the G3 in the UK, it looks like the update was for certain carrier versions in the US, so I can't say if it improves the lag or not.
What I do know is running 5.1 (latest in UK with an unbranded phone on EE) If I try to return to my homescreen from a memory intensive app (Facebook or Spotify are two examples) I tend to be looking at an empty homescreen for a few seconds, then it refreshes the icons and widgets (Stock and Nova launcher.)
There's also sometimes a second or two of empty homescreen when unlocking the phone.
A clear out of the recent apps daily or a reboot seems to help for a while but it's not ideal.
If I go to recents and try to switch to a different app I tend to have an empty blank screen for a few seconds.

In defense of the battery (which is also worse than the Z2) I use a wireless charging pad at work and full USB charge overnight so my battery doesn't generally cause me problems, I also carry a spare battery.
Also because of the lag I don't use my G3 as much as previous phones so that helps with the battery as well.

As i can see the lag problems remain, right even after the 5.1 , so do you think the Moto X 2ndGen 2014 (which is my other option) is a better than G3 or not ?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I had the Moto X 2014 and it is a good phone, and it was possible to get some good shots with the camera ... but it is definitely not consistent. Otherwise, no complaints on that device.

sip1995

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
I had the Moto X 2014 and it is a good phone, and it was possible to get some good shots with the camera ... but it is definitely not consistent. Otherwise, no complaints on that device.

Thanks for the answer, as i can see the camera on Moto X 2014 is not as god as the one on the G3.....hmmm(?) What about the battery life ?

JLiRD808

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Got my G3 brand new thru a friend for $120 USD :)

Very happy with it, tho its starting to slow down a bit after a few months. I do have a lot of widgets (gmail, google calendar, news + more) running on my desktop tho...

I also stopped at kit-kit 4.4.2. Are ppl still griping about lolipop making the g3 worse/slower? I read a lot about it cutting battery-life down too...has that changed?

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz