Need help on upgrading my rooted LG G3 (T-Mobile)

prater5600

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a rooted LG G3 running KitKat. No custom ROM. My phone has running strangely lately (becomes unresponsive for >10 seconds from time to time), so I want to reset it and try something new. I would like to upgrade to Lollipop and load either Cyanogenmod or Cloudy custom ROM. I'm going to use TWRP and Titanium to back everything up on the phone first.

I haven't loaded custom ROMs since my HTC EVO 3D, so I had some (very) basic questions:

If I do a factory reset, will it make my phone the way it was when I first bought it? I really want to get rid of the stupid non-responsive problem.

If I load a custom ROM, do I need a specific version of Android to do it? If so, how would I know what version of Android works with what ROM?

Since I can't take OTA updates, how would I upgrade my Android if I have to? Would I lose root if I upgrade?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

jakman50

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Factory reset after a backup will put your phone back to when u bought it. My advice is to upgrade all firmware and then root again with kingroot and use link2sd to move to an sd card. Titanium backup is preferred in my opinion. I have an LG G3 Stylo myself with 8GB initially and now have 2GB still available. Since my device is from Cricket I cannot change with custom ROM or unlock the bootloader but I am happy with the results. Hope this helps.

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
A factory reset and a new rom should make it run like new. Cloudy s rom is highly recommended. Never had any issues with it.

TonyHove

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar issue with my G3. Over the weekend I factory reset it, then rooted and loaded cyanogenmod cm13 (marshmallow) on it. It's so smooth now it's unbelievable! Like a new phone. Give it a try. There are quite a few tutorials in the forums and on YouTube to follow. It's not very complicated at all

Posted via the Android Central App

prater5600

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Can I just load cyanogenmod cm13 or do I have to upgrade my android first? I'm not sure if the ROMs have the android upgrades. I'll look in the forums for instructions.

Thanks again

prater5600

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
I've already done nandroid and titanium backups, so I'm ready to go. Do I have to upgrade android first before installing Cloudy or will installing Cloudy upgrade Android for me?

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
You don't have to upgrade anything. Just install your chosen rom. In recovery wipe dalvik, cache, system and data before you flash your rom. If you go with cm13, then don't forget to also install the gapps (Google apps) package which you need to download separately. Cloudy Already comes with this, so it's just a straight install.

prater5600

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Probably going to go with Cloudy even though it's a bit old.

If I go with Cyanogenmod CM13, do I get gapps for Android 6.0? If so, can I get platform ARM, Android 6.0, Variant Aroma from the open gapps project? I would like Aroma since it's graphical and should make it easier for me to install.

My zip for Cloudy is around 1.4 GB, but the Cyanogenmod zip is around 330 MB. Is this because the Cloudy is for all variants? I just want to make sure the Cyanogenmod zip will update the Android on my phone.

If I go to CM13, am I now limited to Marshmallow ROMs only?

Thanks again

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Cloudys ROM is for all variants and contains the gapps package and LGs apps too. Thats why it is bigger than cyanogenmod. Plus the aroma installer of course.
CM13 is android 6 marshmallow (CM12.1 is lollipop). you need to get the compatible gapps (pico, nano etc)for android 6. I dont think there is an aroma installer for them, but you can choose from the various packages. i always choose the smallest package and then get any other google apps i want from the play store.

Cloudy is no longer active anymore, but his 2.5 ROM is solid. If you would like the stock LG ROM running android 6, then i would recommend trying Fulmics ROM 3.5. I havent had any issues with it yet.

Good luck. If you get stuck or are unsure of anything, let us know.