I'm thinking of getting an unlocked Android smartphone but I still have some questions..can I please get some help?

A

AC Question

I'm thinking of getting an unlocked Android smartphone but I still have some questions...

So I've recently narrowed my selection (via eBay) down to the LG G3 (32GB model) to save on costs and so I won't have to deal with a contract to pay off a phone. I thought that I had already figured everything out and was raring to go, but it seems like even if I do get an unlocked phone I won't be able to use all of a GSM carriers services without having to manually set them up myself. For example, Internet, texting, messaging, voice mail, etc. The information I'm looking at might be out of date but that's what I'm currently seeing whenever I search on Google.

I'm also thinking of going with Wal-Mart's MyFamilyMobile service, since my mom is already with them. Just out of curiosity, does an unlocked phone work with any GSM network regardless of cell phone frequencies or do those matter as well? If so, I'm fairly sure that the unlocked LG G3 (that I've looked at) works with 2.5G and 3G according to the spreadsheet I saw on the B&H Photo Video website who are also selling LG G3s. Although eBay is selling different models of the phone so I think I need a specific one.

Reno Takamiya

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: I'm thinking of getting an unlocked Android smartphone but I still have some questions...

This is actually me up above. I couldn't figure out how to log on until after I had posted my question. Sorry! :-\

I'm also living in the states so I think an international version of the LG G3 wouldn't fit my needs if it means having a spotty signal. If you have any questions for me please don't hesitate to ask! Thanks for any and all help! :)

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: I'm thinking of getting an unlocked Android smartphone but I still have some questions...

Welcome. :)

Please excuse the tardy reply. I'm not in the US myself so I'm not sure that I can be of much help to you. I personally prefer to buy unlocked phones outright and use them just howsoever I choose. I should have thought that you'd be all right with an International version, and with using the stock apps rather than carrier ones, but I'll try to check that with others who will know more about such things.

Posted via the Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've run International phones on AT&T with little issue. Sure, I may not get the LTE coverage everywhere i go, but it's not that big of a deal. TMo, or any service running on TMo, should be better.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Sim Unlocked just means that the sim slot isn't locked to a specific Carrier. It doesn't guarantee compatibility with any other carrier nor does it guarantee that other carriers aren't blocked.

However generally speaking an unlocked phone will work on any gsm carrier, but you might get slower speeds than a phone designed specifically for your carrier.

maclancer

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I've run International phones on AT&T with little issue. Sure, I may not get the LTE coverage everywhere i go, but it's not that big of a deal. TMo, or any service running on TMo, should be better.
The problem with international version of smartphones is that in the US, you will not be covered for support if there is any issue with the phone. Even Amazon says that when they are selling these phones.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The op mentioned b&h, I don't know about the specific device but they do offer warranty through them for a year on some international devices

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca