LG G3 Lag after updating to Marshmallow

A

AC Question

So i have been using my g3 for about a month and everything has been running good. Until i decided to update my g3 from lollipop (5.0) to marshmallow (6.0) through lg's pc software. Now that it is running marshmallow i have noticed lag in games like: Geometry Dash, Piano tiles 2 and some other games. The lag isn't the kind of lag where the whole phone lags but for example in geometry dash it doesn't start to lag imidieatly but it takes about 20-30 seconds for it to start stuttering. And after about 5 secs. it's smooth again and then it starts lagging and so on. The same goes for pianotiles. It seems that it is very noticiable in things that scroll. Another example is the notification shade wich lags some times and then sometimes not. I have tried everyting i could to solve this problem. I made a factory reset after the update, tempered with the battery optimization settings and tried some developer settings but none if them worked. I have searched for this problem on google but no one seems to have this problem. So i was wondering if any of you have this problem or have a solution to it? Thanks in advance!

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes bad code is left behind after updates. The best way is to factory reset after updates, and ideally even before them. Of course this is a hassle, but it's the same even for PCs. You can opt not to, but it's usually the easiest way to ensure bug free updates.

A

AC Question

LG G3 Lag after updating to Marshmallow (post 2)

I already asked this but i need to clarify one thing: i DID a >>>FACTORY RESET<<< after the update. So i have perfomed it with no succes. Here is the original post:

So i have been using my g3 for about a month and everything has been running good. Until i decided to update my g3 from lollipop (5.0) to marshmallow (6.0) through lg's pc software. Now that it is running marshmallow i have noticed lag in games like: Geometry Dash, Piano tiles 2 and some other games. The lag isn't the kind of lag where the whole phone lags but for example in geometry dash it doesn't start to lag imidieatly but it takes about 20-30 seconds for it to start stuttering. And after about 5 secs. it's smooth again and then it starts lagging and so on. The same goes for pianotiles. It seems that it is very noticiable in things that scroll. Another example is the notification shade wich lags some times and then sometimes not. I have tried everyting i could to solve this problem. I made a factory reset after the update, tempered with the battery optimization settings and tried some developer settings but none of them worked. I have searched for this problem on google but no one seems to have this problem. So i was wondering if any of you have this problem or have a solution to it? Thanks in advance!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Merged the two threads and moved to the G3 forum.

This kind of thing can be difficult to troubleshoot, because it could be some app that is having some conflicts with Marshmallow, and needs to be patched by the developer. You could try uninstalling apps one by one to see if the problem disappears, but that can obviously be tedious as well.

Phonify

May 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for doing that! :) The first app i installed after the factory reset was geometry dash and the lag was still there. And this was without any apps installed. I'm starting to wonder if there went something wrong with the install process.

Phonify

May 4, 2016
Visit site
Well android 6.0 for the g3 is kind of new so maybe the next update will fix the problems with 6.0. Not 100% sure on this tho.

Larry91

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
Hello!

Did you find a solution to the laggy graphics problem? I don't have a G3, but I do have a G4 and it's having the EXACT same issues as yours after updating to Marshmallow! I get major stutter in gaming, web browsing, Gmail, scrolling a gallery in Quickpic, and so on. I've been different forums with no luck as no one else seems to notice. Are you on a specific carrier? I'm using the T-Mobile version by the way.

maclancer

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Hello!

Did you find a solution to the laggy graphics problem? I don't have a G3, but I do have a G4 and it's having the EXACT same issues as yours after updating to Marshmallow! I get major stutter in gaming, web browsing, Gmail, scrolling a gallery in Quickpic, and so on. I've been different forums with no luck as no one else seems to notice. Are you on a specific carrier? I'm using the T-Mobile version by the way.
I have the G3 from T-MOBILE and after upgrading to marshmallow, everything seen to work much better and faster than in Lollipop. So my experience has been great so far.

Phonify

May 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi!
I havent found the fix yet. I contacted lg's support and got a reply. They said that it might be due to errors that were left behind and they suggested me to do a hard reset. I havent done a hard reset yet (where you turn the phone off and press the power and volume button) but i have done a factory reset after the update. Yesterday i connected my phone to my pc and performed the fix errors after update function via the lg pc suite. That didn't solve anything. But as maclancer said the ui is faster and snappier than in lollipop i havent had any problems with the ui exept when i have like 4 notifications the notification bar stutters. But if i have 3 it's smooth. This wasn't present in lollipop. I have also tested some 3D games to see if they have the same type of lag as in 2D games. I haven't noticed the lag in them. If this problem still persists after a month or so i will go to the retailer/shop and get my g3 replaced. This is probably a good idea since i have 4 dead pixels on my screen... :/ If i find the solution before replacing i will make sure to post it here. I'am on the european g3 because i live in Finland.

Kenneth Sadanguil

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
hey. Here's mine. I didnt know i got the update already until today. yeah right, i didnt know the update was avalilable already in my country. so much for the fuss, it was already available 2 months ago. haha. so i decided to update it through LG PC Suite. So, after the update, i checked my phone and saw that the update made it faster, much less of lag, and became more responsive. So i came upon your post and read that you suffered from lag on geometry dash and piano tiles 2. i have these apps too in my phone so i tested them. yeah, you were right. There was that stutter then fast again and stutter again and all over. I found the solution, though i dont know it it applies to all units of g3. go to your settings. click battery and power saving and turn off game optimizer. i did it, and viola! the lag disappeared! :)
Try it. If it wont work, try to reset it, though i didnt choose to do that yet coz im feeling the breeze still here.
Hope it works! :)
btw, im from philippines.

Phonify

May 4, 2016
Visit site
Well it has been a very long time since the last post. I have been using my G3 with this issue for some time now. Recently my G3 decided to ditch me by showing me the dreaded bluescreen. It happened when i was reading a tweet in the morning. I took the battery out for 10s and tried booting it again. It got to the LG logo and then blue again.

Alot of people on different forums have been successful with the oven motherboard heating method. I will not be trying this as i have a few months of warranty left.

Instead i will be getting my G3 repaired at the shop i bought it from. I will report back if the repair helped anything related to this lag issue.

Cheers. Elias :)

Phonify

May 4, 2016
Visit site
Hey everybody!
I just got my G3 from the repair shop. The whole motherboard was changed. It has android 6.0 on it already. I downloaded Geometry Dash and guess what? The lag is.... STILL THERE... After the WHOLE motherboard has been changed. This really shows that lg has something wrong with their 6.0 update and they don't seem to want to fix it.

Well, all in all i'm still happy to have my phone working again.

Cheers. Elias :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze