[Troubleshooting] Hardware (probably) problem with my LG G3 32GB D855

Ivailo Yanev

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

So after almost 2 years of usage I encountered a problem with my G3 and I can't seem to get around it.

Problem: Out of nowhere the phone's screen started shutting down while the phone is fully functioning. Sometimes it would go out with a slow fade, others - rapidly as if I locked it. The strange thing is that the phone actually works without any issues. I have a LG G Watch R and I can operate the phone with it, play music, chat, make phone calls, use the internet (both 3G and WiFi), but the screen remains off. What is even more weird is that the touch actually works too - unlocking the phone, navigating through buttons and icons and whatnot. It is as if the screen itself doesn't work.
Now, when I let the phone stay unused for a while it would turn the screen on for a few seconds (sometimes up to 20ish seconds) and operate normally and then it would freeze it and fade away (again either rapidly or slowly) while the phone continues to function as if there's nothing wrong with it.

Things I've tried:
- Wiping the phone to factory settings.
- Clearing the cache.
- 48 hours without battery an then 4 hours on the charger before turning it on.
Nothing worked from the mentioned.
- I took the phone to a technician and he changed the display/touch/panel with a completely new one, ruling out the display as the potential troublemaker but that didn't fix the issue.

My (not so tech-savvy) guess:
- CPU problem (controlling the video output)?
- PCB (problematic copper tracks leading to the video output of the display)?

I've taken my phone to another technician since the first one couldn't really do anything else.

Has anyone encountered with such issue? Could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks a bunch!

TL;DR: Display shuts down while the phone is fully functioning and remains off.

Ivailo Yanev

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! I did some more digging around and this seems to be the best solution without exchanging the phone. I will try this over the weekend and will report back . :) Thanks for the spared time!

Ivailo Yanev

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello again :)

I managed to get it fixed for now (I don't know how long though).
What I did:
- Tried the paper trick and it did not work. At all.

- I disconnected the cables connecting the Display, the Touch, the Front Camera and the Back camera, cleaned them with compressed air and reconnected them back, making sure they are well placed (carefully not to bend anything) all the way down and put the phone back together. AND IT WORKED. It's been over 50 hours now and the G3 works fine (except the front camera, but I believe I damaged the connectors which is another thing).

I will report back if the phone goes a week without a crash and will explain in details what I did with photos.

Cheers!

the Core

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Cool, I hope that will keep working. And I suppose you did already try to plug the front camera's cable out and in again?

Caze Oli

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
seems like the PROBLEM WAS DOWNLOADING "FUN APPS" THAT WAS CAUSING THE CPU OVERHEAT....
After I DELETED them all... the phone started to COME BACK TO LIFE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21