LG G3 battery suddenly started draining insanely fast, not after update.

turnerjazz

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
So I've had a G3 (verizon) for about a year and a half now. I know that some people have had battery life problems with them all along but I haven't. I've gotten most of a day out of my phone since I got it. Back in March I got the update to 5.0 and since then by battery life has been even better. On an average day I uplug my phone around 8 am and don't plug it back in until after midnight. By that point it's usually down to between 5 and 10% but still on.

Two days ago I got up in the morning, unplugged my phone which was fully changed. About an hour later I looked at my phone and it was down to 35% already. Within 45 more minutes it was dead. Ever since, it goes from 100% to dead in just about 2 hours even when I'm not using it.

I haven't updated since March and haven't installed any new apps in weeks. I've already checked the battery info on the phone and nothing seems abnormal. I keep everything but wifi off already. Nothing has changed in my use of the phone to cause this. So I'm wondering, is the battery just bad?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Reviewing your battery stats is always a good idea. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
If not an app that you added recently, like GasBuddy or SpeedPass+ (that uses GPS), most likely your battery has internal problems. If you don't have time to wait for an Amazon delivery of a good quality OEM battery, go to your nearest wireless store and pick one up.

Dr_JimmyBrungus

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
While this doesn't necessarily absolve your battery of blame, perhaps supporting claims from other G3 owners experiencing the same battery drain in the same time period would indicate something else is to blame. I too have been experiencing insane battery drain (not to mention the insane heat generated by the top half of the handset, up near the earpiece and on the rocker button on the back of the phone) ove rjust the past few days.

I used to get a full day out of a 100% charge, now it drains in an hour or two max. Other G3 owners posted 1 star reviews of Verizon's "Cloud" app in the Google Play store, stating that a recent update (it was just updated on June 23, 2016) to the app is "baking", "killing" and "chewing through" battery. Sure enough, "Cloud" is one of the top culprits in my battery drain, along with "Google Play Services", "Google Play Store", "Hangouts", "Google Play Music", "Calendar" (or all things, and FYI I don't have a calendar widget running on my phone), and "Skype" (until I uninstalled it).

I may come back and post screenshots, if it could help someone to diagnose what the cause of this problem is, assuming I'm not at the hospital trying to find a way to separate human skin, cotton pants pocket fabric and melted phone from each other. Just know others are experiencing the same thing as you before you rush out and buy a new battery. Of course, on the other hand, I suppose there's some small chance several people's batteries could all just be going haywire at the same time, right?

c2500

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
How ironic. Got up Saturday, went to work, and my phone was dead in 5 hours. I thought I might have unplugged the charger. Got home, and it said almost seven hours to fully recharge. I got up Sunday morning, checked emails, surfed for five minutes, battery was down to 95%. Went out, watered my garden with the phone in my back pocket, and had to take it out due to the uncomfortable heat it was generating. Went to Verizon, told them, they said the phone was known to have battery issues, and ordered me a refurb. (I have the insurance) Got it today, and no battery of course. The odd thing was it was fine yesterday, acted normally. Today, back to reduced battery life. I never felt heat from my phone until Sunday.

LenStuart

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
Having the same problems described in this thread. Problems started right up again even with new phone (replaced under insurance) and new battery. Any insights?

PersonWithAPhone

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I just got a new battery also since I had problems with the phone bootlooping after the Marshmellow update supposedly fried batteries. I've factory reset my phone about 3 times and the problems that I'm still having haven't been going away. I got outgoing call issues, slowness, phone overheating, text messages resending themselves for no reason, phone draining too fast, etc. I don't know what's going on with this phone, I've had it for more than a year and was going strong until just a few days ago. What the hell is going on, and what can we do to fix this crap?!

ViolinKnits

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
My battery is draining quickly as well. Every time I look at the battery stats, it says Android System is using most of it - sometimes more than 70%! It also gets seriously hot, so I don't use my Otterbox anymore (it gets hot enough to feel through the Otterbox Defender). The battery is new, but even the old one has the same issues. I've tried FDR and cache wipe without success.

Posted via the Android Central App

Chris Duggan

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I too have been experiencing insane battery drain (not to mention the insane heat generated by the top half of the handset, up near the earpiece and on the rocker button on the back of the phone) ove rjust the past few days.

I'm in the same boat - quick drain and crazy heat.

Kind of glad and kind of perturbed at the same time to see so many complaints of the same all within months of each other. At least I know I'm not alone, and in echoing the full of the partial quote above, it appears to be more than just a hardware issue causing it.

Up till some time last week I've had consistent great battery life, I know I have some high level usage such as Location on all the time and a couple other things - but these have never been an issue for the past year. Only the past week or so.

Even when the phone is on it's charger, I can not keep it fully charged and it drains faster than it charges where it never used to. The past week I can't even Clash of Clans with it plugged in without it draining in it's entirety, where prior to last week it would charge and even reach 100% while I'd have the app open.

Since it appears so many people posting here; what pertinent information can we share and collaborate on to perhaps find a commonality between us.

I see many posting here as Verizon users, I am with Rogers in Canada.

Last edited:

grenadetrade

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
If the battery looks warped and gets hot while charging, it needs to be replaced. That's a no brainer and it cannot be salvaged or worked around. It's kaput.

If the battery is fine, but when you pick up the phone and it feels slightly warm, even though you haven't used it, then it's probably running something when it shouldn't be running. This can be caused by a lot of different things, and can be solved from anything from clearing your cache, doing a malware/virus scan, all the way to factory resets and data wipes. I'm sure you've gone through many of these things if you've had this problem. And even though it may solve the problem, it may come back, for no apparent reason - because over time there are updates and we add or remove apps when we use our phone.

Personally, i've tried so many things and as mentioned, some measures have worked but problems come back and persist. The only sure way that i have done that gives me result is to use the Greenify app and use shallow hibernation and aggressive doze, along with not keeping wifi on during sleep.This ensures that, when i'm not actually using the phone, all processes (apart from core/critical) and any data is completely shut down and thereby the power that is used toward that end is cut off. If i have light use, i can have a charge for as long as 4-5 days at a time, which sounds incredible, but with the screen off most of the time and no background processes, it's possible.

But for this to work, you need to have your phone rooted and Greenify working in root, with Usage Access. It's a good idea to root your phone since you want to be able to get rid of bloatware that is probably draining a lot of your juice in the first place.

Also, my phone is over two years old so i will be replacing my battery, as i feel that total capacity has decreased over time - meaning, it is no longer 3000mAh, and even if it's "healthy" in terms of draw and charge, it's like having a smaller battery so it doesn't last as long under use.

Anyway to sum up, ROOT, Greenify, shallow/aggressive doze. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Likorisa

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
Try the tips outlined in this article to help with battery draining issues on your LG. Some include using apps like Greenify. Other tips involve troubleshooting your installs, your settings and more. I hope it helps some of you. Goof luck!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1