Android Messages not using my Google Voice number

ricknoel

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
I downloaded the Android Messages app on my phone and went to the advanced settings and changed the phone number to my Google Voice number as that is what I give out to everyone. When I send a message, the receiver sees the message from my underlying cell phone number rather than the Google Voice number that I entered in the app. Is this a bug? Is there a way to get the app to use the Google Voice number to identify my message like the Google Hangouts app does? I am running the app from a Galaxy S6 with Verizon running Android 6.0.1.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the Android Messages app on my phone and went to the advanced settings and changed the phone number to my Google Voice number as that is what I give out to everyone. When I send a message, the receiver sees the message from my underlying cell phone number rather than the Google Voice number that I entered in the app. Is this a bug? Is there a way to get the app to use the Google Voice number to identify my message like the Google Hangouts app does? I am running the app from a Galaxy S6 with Verizon running Android 6.0.1.

Any reason why you're not just using the updated Google Voice app?

ricknoel

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
I could continue to use Google Hangouts for that matter. I just read that Android Messages is to become Google's messaging app of choice. So I thought I would switch over. My messaging requirements are minimal. But one is that it identify me using the GVoice number (as Hangouts does) not the underlying number of my phone. Anyway, I was a little surprised that after changing the phone number in Android Messages's settings to my GVoice number that it used my cell phone number anyway. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

dcont78

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Was there any resolution to this? Can you use
GV number with the Android Messages? It's not a matter of "why don't you just use the GV app?" (it sucks), it's just a question whether or not it's even possible to use Android Messages.

chazdx

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Was there any resolution to this? Can you use GV number with the Android Messages?

Good question! There are a number of users left with a half-functioning Hangouts. In the current version, phone numbers don't show up, and you cannot set it as a default messaging app (at least on my V30). This makes it fairly useless. Can you even send SMS w/ the official GV app? IIRC you couldn't send or receive MMS. Thanks to Google, my smart phone is starting to feel like 2011...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Was there any resolution to this? Can you use
GV number with the Android Messages? It's not a matter of "why don't you just use the GV app?" (it sucks), it's just a question whether or not it's even possible to use Android Messages.

Probably only on Fi.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Good question! There are a number of users left with a half-functioning Hangouts. In the current version, phone numbers don't show up, and you cannot set it as a default messaging app (at least on my V30). This makes it fairly useless. Can you even send SMS w/ the official GV app? IIRC you couldn't send or receive MMS. Thanks to Google, my smart phone is starting to feel like 2011...

The Google Voice app does MMS.

nickrouwhorst

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for a way to do this also. I came here via Google search and have a v30. My frustration comes from Google voice or hangouts for that matter don't do notifications over Bluetooth. So if my phone is connected to my truck or my headphones, I don't know if I get a text. Calls work fine, and I know it's not the phone because notifications work with my cell phone number on Android messages, just not with my Google voice number.

If anyone has found a resolution to this, a little help would be amazing! Thanks!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for a way to do this also. I came here via Google search and have a v30. My frustration comes from Google voice or hangouts for that matter don't do notifications over Bluetooth. So if my phone is connected to my truck or my headphones, I don't know if I get a text. Calls work fine, and I know it's not the phone because notifications work with my cell phone number on Android messages, just not with my Google voice number.

If anyone has found a resolution to this, a little help would be amazing! Thanks!

Do you get other notifications other than calls over Bluetooth?

nickrouwhorst

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes I do Ry. Obviously they all behave a little differently and some aren't supposed to, but they will sound and quiet the music for example. I've tried my best to isolate what it is and it seems to be the fact that the texts are coming through my Google voice number. I'd rather not have to forward them to my carrier number either since Google voice sends it via a different number.

brentg22

Jun 27, 2018
Visit site
@ricknoel 's original post, although an old one now, is still a valid one. It's a legitimate request and still odd that Android Messages advanced setting to change the phone number (e.g. to a Google Voice number) does not work. I'd still like to see a solution.

BTW, Hangouts is still a viable and very good solution for text messaging. It, combined with Google Voice, works perfectly for me and there are several good reasons for using it over the other messaging apps out there. (It's seamless integration with Google Voice is the main advantage, but there are others.)

I am resurrecting this thread because I'd love to see a solution to the original question posed by @ricknoel.

Anyone?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
@ricknoel 's original post, although an old one now, is still a valid one. It's a legitimate request and still odd that Android Messages advanced setting to change the phone number (e.g. to a Google Voice number) does not work. I'd still like to see a solution.

BTW, Hangouts is still a viable and very good solution for text messaging. It, combined with Google Voice, works perfectly for me and there are several good reasons for using it over the other messaging apps out there. (It's seamless integration with Google Voice is the main advantage, but there are others.)

I am resurrecting this thread because I'd love to see a solution to the original question posed by @ricknoel.

Anyone?

As far as I know, Android Messages is designed to work with the SMS/MMS (and eventually RCS) database that is on your phone.

Backing up a bit, I can't recall which version of Android decoupled text messaging from basically an app to the system. On current/modern versions of Android, text messaging is stored in a database that any texting app can access with the proper permissions.

Google Voice has no interaction with that database because it has it's own (in the cloud).

The solution is to use the Google Voice app (or the Hangouts app) and not try to force Android Messages into doing something it was never designed to do. .

brentg22

Jun 27, 2018
Visit site
Ry,

Thanks for your reply, but that's not the question or the issue. I DO use the Google Voice app (or the Hangouts app) and I am NOT trying to force Android Messages into doing something it was never designed to do, I am just wishing it would do what the Advance Setting (for specifying the phone number) is supposed to do.

There is a specific reason for this that I don't want to get into huge detail on, but it does have to do with Hangouts NOT being able to be specified as the default messaging app. Those of us who religiously use Google Voice want to always use our GV number and never our primary carrier number. So, we successfully use the Hangouts (or GV app) for messaging and it all works perfectly -- no one ever sees our carrier number. But because Hangouts cannot be selected as the default messaging app, there are situations where Android automatically uses the default messaging app, in this case Android Messages, to send a text. And there's the rub! It sends from the CARRIER number, which is precisely what we GV people do not want it to do.

If Messages would do what it says it can do -- send "from" a different number -- we'd have the perfect solution.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Ry,

Thanks for your reply, but that's not the question or the issue. I DO use the Google Voice app (or the Hangouts app) and I am NOT trying to force Android Messages into doing something it was never designed to do, I am just wishing it would do what the Advance Setting (for specifying the phone number) is supposed to do.

There is a specific reason for this that I don't want to get into huge detail on, but it does have to do with Hangouts NOT being able to be specified as the default messaging app. Those of us who religiously use Google Voice want to always use our GV number and never our primary carrier number. So, we successfully use the Hangouts (or GV app) for messaging and it all works perfectly -- no one ever sees our carrier number. But because Hangouts cannot be selected as the default messaging app, there are situations where Android automatically uses the default messaging app, in this case Android Messages, to send a text. And there's the rub! It sends from the CARRIER number, which is precisely what we GV people do not want it to do.

If Messages would do what it says it can do -- send "from" a different number -- we'd have the perfect solution.

I think the issue then is that setting in Android Messages > Advanced > Phone Number is misleading.

I think you and the OP are assuming that is should let you specify the phone number to send messages from when it appears that it's really just there so that you can see what your number is. I don't think that field should be editable.

My reasoning for this is that

1) there is no workflow to "confirm" your number. How is Android Messages supposed to know that you own that Google Voice phone number?

and

2) already posted above - there's no database of Google Voice messages that Android Messages can hook into. There's an "SMS permission" in Android so that apps can read those messages but there is no "Google Voice messages" permission in Android.

Charlotte Smith6

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I too am in the same situation. I have used Hangouts for years (sending with my GV number), made the change to the Google Voice app when that app was updated and became more functional, and now would like to be able to use Messages as the app updates this past week are very appealing. However I too am unable to determine how to send using Messages such that people will receive my Google Voice number and not my carrier number. I have been sending messages to several family members this morning asking them what number it looks like the message is coming from. I have not come up with any a solution using Messages that allows them to see it coming from my Google Voice number.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I too am in the same situation. I have used Hangouts for years (sending with my GV number), made the change to the Google Voice app when that app was updated and became more functional, and now would like to be able to use Messages as the app updates this past week are very appealing. However I too am unable to determine how to send using Messages such that people will receive my Google Voice number and not my carrier number. I have been sending messages to several family members this morning asking them what number it looks like the message is coming from. I have not come up with any a solution using Messages that allows them to see it coming from my Google Voice number.

See my posts above.

Charlotte Smith6

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi Ry, I did read your posts and this thread several times. I'm just stating that I agree with the original poster and with Brent. I have not come up with any a solution using Messages that allows anyone to see texts from my Google Voice number.

My GV number is the one that I too hand out to all to use. I have filters on my GV account for my business calls to go to one voicemail and my Starred Google Contacts to another even though everyone calls the same number to reach me. I also have it set up so if someone is not in my Starred Google Contacts, my cell phone does not ring so I am not bothered by anyone outside of my business hours outside of those Starred Contacts.

The Google Messages app I would LOVE to use if it could only be enabled to show only my GV number to anyone I message (I truly don't care if it's text, SMS, or RCS). I would just like to have a single solution again as Hangouts was previously.

I had everything routing through Hangouts, calling, texting, messaging/voicemails and when the SMS integration was pulled last year, I held on as long as I could. Even enduring the message that was always at the top saying Hangouts was no longer integrated and I needed to download another default app for SMS.

My Galaxy S4 phone died in December (I gave that device such a good run) and the Moto G5 Plus that I replaced it with is fine and came with Messages as the default 'texting' app (read:cannot be uninstalled). Again though, as I couldn't get Messages to send out showing everyone my GV number, I wound up installing Hangouts and GV again and was having multiple apps to do what is really one function to most of us - reach out to people via texting. The updated GV app is so much nicer to use and I recently went back to Hangouts in full once it re-integrated with GV and allowed me to have everything in one place.

The update to Messages this past week is nice and I would enjoy being able to use it for all. I have Allo for my best friend who uses it because she loves the silliness of it. Hangouts for my parents who don't keep their phones turned on but who have the Hangouts extension on their browser so that they can message me wherever I am. GV for everyone else: co-workers, family, friends.

I hope that helps explain it better. Not that I expect you to solve the Google messaging platform, I am just chiming in that I dearly hope Messages will one day be able to show to anyone I send a 'text' to, my GV number only. :)

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi Ry, I did read your posts and this thread several times. I'm just stating that I agree with the original poster and with Brent. I have not come up with any a solution using Messages that allows anyone to see texts from my Google Voice number.

My GV number is the one that I too hand out to all to use. I have filters on my GV account for my business calls to go to one voicemail and my Starred Google Contacts to another even though everyone calls the same number to reach me. I also have it set up so if someone is not in my Starred Google Contacts, my cell phone does not ring so I am not bothered by anyone outside of my business hours outside of those Starred Contacts.

The Google Messages app I would LOVE to use if it could only be enabled to show only my GV number to anyone I message (I truly don't care if it's text, SMS, or RCS). I would just like to have a single solution again as Hangouts was previously.

I had everything routing through Hangouts, calling, texting, messaging/voicemails and when the SMS integration was pulled last year, I held on as long as I could. Even enduring the message that was always at the top saying Hangouts was no longer integrated and I needed to download another default app for SMS.

My Galaxy S4 phone died in December (I gave that device such a good run) and the Moto G5 Plus that I replaced it with is fine and came with Messages as the default 'texting' app (read:cannot be uninstalled). Again though, as I couldn't get Messages to send out showing everyone my GV number, I wound up installing Hangouts and GV again and was having multiple apps to do what is really one function to most of us - reach out to people via texting. The updated GV app is so much nicer to use and I recently went back to Hangouts in full once it re-integrated with GV and allowed me to have everything in one place.

The update to Messages this past week is nice and I would enjoy being able to use it for all. I have Allo for my best friend who uses it because she loves the silliness of it. Hangouts for my parents who don't keep their phones turned on but who have the Hangouts extension on their browser so that they can message me wherever I am. GV for everyone else: co-workers, family, friends.

I hope that helps explain it better. Not that I expect you to solve the Google messaging platform, I am just chiming in that I dearly hope Messages will one day be able to show to anyone I send a 'text' to, my GV number only. :)

Google is pissing me off so much that I don't even know how to express it.
As you were, I'm stuck with this persistent notification from Hangouts to switch to Android Message (is there a way to get rid of it?). They are so proud to announce RCS for Android Message but it does NOT support GV number! WTF!
Anyway, I'm sticking with Hangouts for as long as it works (even with this stupid notification.... which Google made on PURPOSE to ANNOY you so much that you switch. This is NOT how you treat a customer!