LG G3 randomly reboots/turns off

Zoglu

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
Hi everyone,
My LG G3 D851 keeps rebooting or turning off instantly for no apparent reason. When it turns off, I have to remove the battery for about 30 seconds so I can turn it on again.

This issue occurs only when the phone is not being charged, and most times when I'm activley using it (for instance, upon launching an app). Some apps, like Google Maps, seem to cause reboots more frequently.
After a reboot, it has a higher probability of rebooting or turning off again if I use it immediately after. I also think it happens more often when the battery is low.

Here is what I tried so far :
- disabling GPS, data, wifi
- booting to safe mode
- buying a new battery
- flashing latest stock rom (version 30E)

I feel like I'm out of options. Could this be a "security" feature (phone auto-turning off to prevent damage)? Is there a secret menu option I could disable? Any help would be really appreciated.

ZayMoney

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
you have the bootloop issue. eventually it will keep doing it and never turn back on. get a new phone. LG G3 AND G4 are notorious for bootlooping

Zoglu

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
Well it's not an actual bootloop since I can sometimes turn it on and use or for several days, especially when it's being charged.

Zoglu

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
Hi,
Well I thought the stock battery was too small and could disconnect sometimes, but I bought another battery which fits really well into the phone, and the problem persists, the phone reboots or turns off the exact same way.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
Well I thought the stock battery was too small and could disconnect sometimes, but I bought another battery which fits really well into the phone, and the problem persists, the phone reboots or turns off the exact same way.

Any updates on your current situation, OP? How old is your LG G3?

Zoglu

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
I tried the "piece of paper stuck between battery and SIM card" solution proposed in another topic. The shutdowns/reboots seem less frequent with this method but they still occur (3 times last week).
My LG is 2 years and a half old.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I tried the "piece of paper stuck between battery and SIM card" solution proposed in another topic. The shutdowns/reboots seem less frequent with this method but they still occur (3 times last week).
My LG is 2 years and a half old.

Thank you for answering my question! Your LG could just be showing some wear after that long a time. You could always try contacting LG's online customer support - they usually respond quite promptly. They will probably suggest that you send it off to them for repair - would that be something that you'd be interested in?

Zoglu

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
I hadn't tried contacting LG before, maybe I should since I've been having this problem for one year.
But if contacting them involves paying for a repair while I could as well buy another phone, then I'm not interested.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I hadn't tried contacting LG before, maybe I should since I've been having this problem for one year.
But if contacting them involves paying for a repair while I could as well buy another phone, then I'm not interested.

I agree with you. Once you factor in the potential costs of repairs, it may be easier to put that same cost towards another device. But that is entirely up to you! Perhaps another user will have other troubleshooting tips for you. :)

skywooker

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
So what did you do ?? Di d you find a solution??

I got a used LG G3 for cheap .. It's been on me for about a month.

It keeps freezing then restarting and bootlooping ... I tried every possible solution that you can think of.

New batteries ( 3 ) , All didn't solve .. same issue.

Factory reset, Hard reset, Flashing stocks , Flashing custom roms ( 5 of them ) , kernels ...

Nothing worked.

REmoved sim removed sd .. removed the back cover that has the pins .. tried the paper trick ..

I just don't think it's a hardware problem as sometimes i used it for a while and nothing happens .. but it's gotten worse ..