LG G3s stuck on boot screen

Bill Lostre

Feb 10, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone

To get straight to the point, I have a ( kinda old ) LG G3s D722 if I'm saying the correct version.
The problem is that it stucks on the LG logo screen when it boots up even
a) after every factory reset ( I press power button and volume down button, then press them again to get on factory reset options to click yes etc. the typical proccedure ) it doesn't fix the issue.
b) after firmware update which seems to fix the issue in most cases in the past but now it doesn't ( once the download finishes the phone boots normally like a format has performed and you setup everything from the begining etc. so it's working )
This morning I got into download mode, performed with the software "flash tool" a normal flash and it worked. Got the phone working normally however ( unfortunately ) I made a software OS update ( LG or android not sure which one exactly ) and after it installed it and performed the usual reboot, it stucked again on LG logo screen. Then I tried the same firmware update method again 2 times and after the download finishes, the phone reboots ( as always ) in order to get in the setup menu to configure the basic starting settings etc. BUT it still stucks on LG logo screen now again.
Moreover, on drfone app I cannot try anything because I get the USB debugging thing which I can't have access to change since I can't open the phone.
What do you think I could try?

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated

Thank you very much in advance

Bill

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The G3 and G4 line were notorious for bootloops, so FYI it may just be a hardware issue.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how long you've had the phone, but it was released nearly 6 years ago and is now considered ancient by smartphone standards. I also agree that it's likely a hardware issue, but I would also add that it's not worth repairing. Even if you could repair it, you're still left with a phone that is out of date, no longer supported, and unable to run most apps. You would be better off replacing the phone with that money you'd spend on a repair, even if it was a used phone.

Bill Lostre

Feb 10, 2020
Visit site
Do you think I can do something by myself at home since it comes to hardware?
Or I definitely have to do take it to a service spot and ask them to fix it?

Bill Lostre

Feb 10, 2020
Visit site
Basically I had been using it untill 1 year ago, I could run everything but then got a new phone but on that new one I got my screen damaged and I'm not paying anything to replace it since it'd be half of the price of a new ( low budget ) phone. The reason I tried to fix it is because it's nostalgic of my younger age and I'd still like to use it since I'm not demanding user at all.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Do you think I can do something by myself at home since it comes to hardware?
Or I definitely have to do take it to a service spot and ask them to fix it?

Phones are not modular. Even if it's something like a memory chip failure, it would require replacing the entire main board. This does simplify repairs to some extent, but the question today becomes can you get parts for it? The phone is far out of production, and the same goes for any parts.

Bill Lostre

Feb 10, 2020
Visit site
Phones are not modular. Even if it's something like a memory chip failure, it would require replacing the entire main board. This does simplify repairs to some extent, but the question today becomes can you get parts for it? The phone is far out of production, and the same goes for any parts.

Yeah I do get what you mean. It's not worth it to buy spare parts from the internet or even to pay a high cost service unless they do it almost for free or sth. Like I said before it's a nostalgic reason I wanna use it again but even if we have a last hope do you think that 'method' removing the motherboard and increasing the temp somehow is worth to try?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There are a bunch of people who seemed to have success with it, so if you have nothing to lose, go for it!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Baking it will soften the solder and the idea is to hopefully re-join the connections. I haven't done it on a phone, but I did it with a laptop graphics card. In my case it never lasted more than a couple months because the solder itself wasn't the correct spec. Each bake lasted less and less time as well. If you do it and it works for a while and goes bad again, I wouldn't bother trying a second time.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
In small circuit board like a phone I wouldn't attempt unless you had previous experience , you can damage other components they are to close together . Plus repair shops that handle that work know the correct temp and tool for it .

Bill Lostre

Feb 10, 2020
Visit site
In small circuit board like a phone I wouldn't attempt unless you had previous experience , you can damage other components they are to close together . Plus repair shops that handle that work know the correct temp and tool for it .

Yeah basically I should put it on the micro wave system or in front of a heater but I couldn't determine the temp at all. It could also explode or burn, right?

Bill Lostre

Feb 10, 2020
Visit site
Baking it will soften the solder and the idea is to hopefully re-join the connections. I haven't done it on a phone, but I did it with a laptop graphics card. In my case it never lasted more than a couple months because the solder itself wasn't the correct spec. Each bake lasted less and less time as well. If you do it and it works for a while and goes bad again, I wouldn't bother trying a second time.

Thing is which machine can I use at home so it won't burn or get damaged and be safe? Like I said, I could also take it in front of a heater but is it going to be safe?