LG's IPS "Quantum" or Samsung's SAMOLED?

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
With the G4 boasting a sharp display of its own and with claims of more accurate color production, which display is the better of the two? I know that the Note 5's display will be ridiculous, but in terms of being easiest on the battery, has LG made strides, or is Samsung still champ?

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
We'll have to wait and see... once the reviews start rolling in, I am sure we'll see some numbers and tests.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: LG's IPS "Quantum" or Samsung's SAMOLED?

We won't know until someone other than LG compares them. If you want to get the actual numbers for it, wait for DisplayMate or AnandTech's results

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully it's an improvement over the G3 screen for colors and brightness which was one of the few things that the note 3 and 4 had over the G3. A improved screen will make it the best phone in this size group.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Sadly. It was the reason why I sold my G3 when Samsung released the Note 4. I thought the G3 was dull when I compared it.

I'm looking forward to checking it out when it comes out up here.

SHIFT_sixty four s6 edge

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure how much more accurate it can get. The s6 and Note 4 are very very good. Even if it is better, I don't think that most people would be able to tell. Biggest improvement that I am hoping for is a improvement in battery life. Lg makes promises. Hopefully they will deliver.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

maduro78

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure how much more accurate it can get. The s6 and Note 4 are very very good. Even if it is better, I don't think that most people would be able to tell. Biggest improvement that I am hoping for is a improvement in battery life. Lg makes promises. Hopefully they will deliver.

The thing about technology is we always ask ourselves how can it possibly get better til it actually does. Screen tech has no option but to get better. I'd bet anything all the manufacturers have screens already made that blows current stock a way by comparison. Its just a matter of strategy when to introduce it.

Moto X 2014

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The thing about technology is we always ask ourselves how can it possibly get better til it actually does. Screen tech has no option but to get better. I'd bet anything all the manufacturers have screens already made that blows current stock a way by comparison. Its just a matter of strategy when to introduce it.

Moto X 2014
The point is diminishing returns. Will it get better? Yes. Will the general public be able to tell the difference between the s6 screen accuracy and a more accurate screen, when not set side by side? Not likely.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I just think that while the higher pixel displays on phones look great, we are sacrificing power efficiency for a ridiculous number of indiscernible pixels. This, along with keeping phones paper thin in some cases, does nothing for a phone's longevity, especially with sealed batteries.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
When I see the S6 and iPhone 6 plus screen look the same and both screens are noted for their color accuracy, it makes me think the G4 is doing some color enhancement that may or may not be desirable.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
When I see the S6 and iPhone 6 plus screen look the same and both screens are noted for their color accuracy, it makes me think the G4 is doing some color enhancement that may or may not be desirable.
Definitely some over saturation going on there. I'd like to see some white colors on the displays.

Peter Venkman

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

How is making strawberries, which are naturally red -- look red on a screen -- an undesirable thing? Samsung and Apple have been selling us orange strawberries all along and everyone accepted it as the gospel. LG is simply saying the emperors have no clothes and as it turns out they are correct.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
How is making strawberries, which are naturally red -- look red on a screen -- an undesirable thing? Samsung and Apple have been selling us orange strawberries all along and everyone accepted it as the gospel. LG is simply saying the emperors have no clothes and as it turns out they are correct.
I've certainly never seen strawberries that red. The S6 and iPhone 6+ have the most accurate displays to date. I would like to see the actual strawberries before judging, but I'd bet the S6 and iPhone are closer. When someone does a review or comparison, we'll see the other colors as well. For now, it looks like a very oversaturated display (which a lot of people definitely prefer)

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I've certainly never seen strawberries that red. The S6 and iPhone 6+ have the most accurate displays to date. I would like to see the actual strawberries before judging, but I'd bet the S6 and iPhone are closer. When someone does a review or comparison, we'll see the other colors as well. For now, it looks like a very oversaturated display (which a lot of people definitely prefer)

I've seen plenty of deep dark red strawberries since I grow them... and as far as over saturation.. Nope those colors are as realalistic as they get.

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

This exactly. LG G3 was more accurate with colors than Samsung but ppl were used to the oversaturation and accepted it as normal. A lot of the reviews said the G3 screen looked washed out when in fact it was the most accurate screen on the market. I like both manufacturers and have also come to lean towards the oversaturated Samsung screen, but still accept LG for what they are. It has come down to preference, not actually what is "better."

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
This exactly. LG G3 was more accurate with colors than Samsung but ppl were used to the oversaturation and accepted it as normal. A lot of the reviews said the G3 screen looked washed out when in fact it was the most accurate screen on the market. I like both manufacturers and have also come to lean towards the oversaturated Samsung screen, but still accept LG for what they are. It has come down to preference, not actually what is "better."
The S5 and Note 4 were both more accurate than the G3. You can check AnandTech or Display Mate's tests to confirm that

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I've seen plenty of deep dark red strawberries since I grow them... and as far as over saturation.. Nope those colors are as realalistic as they get.

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8
You can't know if it's "realistic" without having seen the actual strawberries. I'm sure there are some that get darker red than others, but seeing as the iPhone 6+ and S6 have extremely accurate displays, and the G3 had an oversaturated one, I think it's fair to say the G4's looks oversaturated there. But we'll know soon enough :D

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I remember being on the Amoled side of things and seeing LCD displays as 'washed out' and not 'bright' enough but after owning the G3, I understand what the other side was saying. When I see my dads Note 4 display now, to me, the colors look way too bright and saturated. Its simply become a matter of preference for me now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza