FIX: Call log not updated, no missed call notifications on Korean G4s (or other Korean LG phones)

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Just fixed this issue on my Korean G4 (running weird European reviewer firmware). If anyone else out there is seeing a constantly blank call history list and notifications not being displayed for missed calls, etc, here's your fix. Googling around, this issue seems to affect other Korean LG phones, not just the G4.

Bear with me, it's a doozy.

The issue seems to happen if the number written to the SIM doesn't match its actual phone number. This could happen if you get a replacement SIM (for example, if it's lost or stolen, or if you transfer from micro to nano).

To fix this you need to overwrite the number stored on the SIM, which Android can't do. So you need an older featurephone, or an iPhone.

1) Locate an iPhone, or a friend with an iPhone.
2) Insert your SIM in said iPhone
3) On iPhone, go to Settings > Phone > My Number
4) Overwrite whatever's there with your actual phone number in full, starting with 00 and your country code. For example in the UK, 00 44 7123 456789
5) Double check the iPhone hasn't enabled iMessage on your SIM under Settings > Messages
6) Swap SIM back into your LG phone, and enjoy fully functional call history

Last edited:

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Wow that is strange..

Alex... Is there any way to do a side by side comparison with the version Phil has on the camera. Seems like there are some variations that can be seen in the reviews so far. Same with the battery test that could be done?

... Lastly comparisons of the sound quality both with wired/Bluetooth/speakers as opposed to your other favorite phones...

I greatly appreciate any assistance in this you're able to do for us...

Posted via the Android Central App

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Don't think we have any of the Korean and US units side by side. But what I will say is the Korean ones seem to be running newer firmware, based on the version numbers.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks Alex👍. Might make a good Sticky.

Does it leave the friend with an iPhone which is thereafter completely unusable? :)

Posted via the Android Central App

rick bon

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I was really happy to believe your SIM card phone number change (to match the number in use, not that on the card) would be my answer to my UK LG G4 not maintaining any call history that I did as you explained with an iPhone. Now my SIM phone numgere and real phone number match.

But the call history still only shows what was there from the previous phone. :-\

I did also install TrueCaller when I first noticed this lack of history and it does bring up the absent numbers, but it also has data sharing issues and adverts with a steep price to remove those. So I had uninstalled it - unfortunately it did not "transfer" the call history to the native call screens. So I previous removed True Caller app, though I have it back again now.

Did you encounter any other answers to this irritating little issue in the time since you wrote your solution?

Many thanks. - P.S. Sorry if you get this twice, I am newly jpoined and the post disappeared.

rick bon

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi again Alex, following your LG G4 missing call log answer to change your SIM phone number (using an iPhone) to your actual phone number, you may have seen that this didn't work for me. So I was still missing seeing my call logs including my missed calls - the missed ones would actually show and then disappear within seconds, including when I changed tabs to view someting else such as contacts. However my call log brought forward for a year of my previousphone was there, just nothing recent.

I tried downloading various call log managers and found first that TrueCaller displayed new and several months past calls, but did not transfer tis record to be visible in the native Android call log. I also found the ads highly intrusive and its data requests questionable whilst the features and high price of the Pro version were unwanted. Neverthless it did a good job at identifying callers unknown to me and blocking some as spam.

The well-received Call Log Monitor (icon is a red phone) also brought up records of calls, for a year past and up to date, but backing these up and restoring them did not place these records in the default Android call-log. Also the log was disjointed with a reverse in the date display order part way through.

A different app Call History Manager actually showed calls going back the longest, over 24 months, so I paid the extra to be able to back these up both locally and off the phone. I restored them straight after which took no time and everything was in the app, but not in the Android call history. So I deleted the Android call history and then restored to the phone from the Call History Manager. This time the parameters, specifically a clear log, allowed the placing of the log, or at least many months of it, up to date on the phone.

So finally, problem sorted after many hours and days of intermittently working on this. What I have, (I think, because this is all just started to do the necessary so I will check further, later) is recent months' worth of calls in the native Android dialler, a full 2 years' of call history in the Call History Manager, missed calls at last showing as alerts in the phone and call notifications including in the Android call log, call filtering such as withheld numbers and unknown caller identifiction with True Caller (free vesion) and finally 4 different call logs, all showing different views of essentially much the same info. However, True Caller is not, as previously mentioned, reacting with the Android records in all respects. For example calling a number not in my Contacts using True Caller and then naming the contact in True Caller, does not establish a named Android contact. As such and given the other drawbacks of TrueCaller, despite some fancy features, when I have got used to how to handle my call making, receiving and logs of this probably over-complex setup and so undoubtedly come to wish to simplify back to the necessary, I expect that True Caller will be one of the apps to go, probably along with Call Log Monitor.

Anyway, Success!

rick bon

rick bon

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Oh, and yes, my iPhone is prefectly OK after I used it to change the other phone's SIM phone number. However, I had previously followed instructions to unlock the iPhone from the original mobile provider, otherwise I would too have nticipated trouble.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm