Laser Focus: Is it that good?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Now, this is for all 'real' users. I've seen the reviews. I've seen some samples. But I haven't actually used a 'laser focus' device. I know it's a big deal with the G4, and I know reviewers praise it's camera, but from real users out there (either from the G4 or other 'laser focus' phones), is laser focus THAT good?

My main gripe with the Note 4, which has an awesome camera (almost as good as the S6, and only because that one has newer processing) is that focus can be tricky sometimes, especially at night. With past Samsung phones it was also shutter speed (have anything moving in a shot where the sun isn't bright and shiny and you get a blurr), but it's improved in the Note 4....but I digress.

Laser focus. Does it really work? Is there an actual laser there? haha (I remember those cool-looking Sony cameras that would shoot an actual laser-drawn grid to focus on low light situations)

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
So on my G3, you can see the laser light up when focusing. It works well in normal conditions, low light can take a bit longer (less than a second longer). There are times when it tries to focus several times when up close to the subject (like my constant moving kids lol)

Overall its quick, quicker than my dad's iphone 5S

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Wow, so it does have a laser thingy... cool! I'll have to see it then. How's focus when your kids are actually moving?

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
it'll focus but still most times blurry, my rascals are quicker than a laser lol

If they "try" to hold still for a picture it's good. Hitting the Continuous Shot turns out good too when they are doing things like on a swing or trampoline. Not sure why it's harder when they just run around lol

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
If I recall right, it has an infra-red laser. I don't think I've had any out-of-focus G3 photos in nearly ten months of ownership, so I guess it works well. :)

(I'm not expecting problems in the eleventh month.)

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nice! IR laser... so I'll guess I'll try to use the night vision mode in my old video camera and see if I can spot the laser (just like that funky Kinect thing).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463