[Canada] #TryLGG4 thread

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Hmmmm. Either the winners have been informed and both they and LG are silent about it, or they haven't and LG Canada has totally dropped the ball on this.

Posted via my Rooted LG G3 running DeneROM.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
The first Canadian person just tweeted about it, so they must have informed everyone already, or they are just starting.

Yup... I guess we didn't get selected. Oh well, at least now I can stop thinking about it testing the darned thing, and instead get back to important things like planning what glass screen protector to order before June 19 ;)

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Yup... I guess we didn't get selected. Oh well, at least now I can stop thinking about it testing the darned thing, and instead get back to important things like planning what glass screen protector to order before June 19 ;)

I have been tweeting back and forth with him. He got the email today, so there is still hope for us, lol.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
He just got the email today? Two days after their supposed announcement day? Wow. I guess there is still a chance.

There are a couple more tweeting today. He did get his earlier today. I asked him. I guess they are still rolling out as there have only been about 5 people so far that tweeted about it.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I still hope we all get picked.

Considering how we're all devoted Android-ers, very likely to buy the phone, and probably able to influence our peers... yes we should all get picked.

I'm probably being overcritical, but there are 2 things bugging me about this (there are actually more than 2, but I'm learning to not rant) that I'm seeing at #TryLGG4 twitter feed:

- Some of the people posting are excellent photographers, stunning actually... but some are just not very good photographers, or are really mis-using the camera. Not that I'm perfect, but if LG wants to show off the camera through social media, these people are really not doing LG any favours.

- At least one tester said something along the line of, "I sure wish Samsung would get these manual camera features... I'm sure going to miss this LG G4." If you don't like the phone enough to actually buy one, why are you involving yourself in the testing program? I know not everyone has the money to buy the phone off-contract, but if you're not at the point of willing to at least spend a couple hundred dollars (to buy the phone on-contract) within the next month or two... why are you doing this? Just for the chance of getting to keep the phone?

Too much of a rant? Probably ;)

As a side note, in an earlier rant I stated that only 4 would get to keep the phone... I was wrong. If you complete all of the weekly tasks, for each week, you'll get to keep the phone.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Considering how we're all devoted Android-ers, very likely to buy the phone, and probably able to influence our peers... yes we should all get picked.

I'm probably being overcritical, but there are 2 things bugging me about this (there are actually more than 2, but I'm learning to not rant) that I'm seeing at #TryLGG4 twitter feed:

- Some of the people posting are excellent photographers, stunning actually... but some are just not very good photographers, or are really mis-using the camera. Not that I'm perfect, but if LG wants to show off the camera through social media, these people are really not doing LG any favours.

- At least one tester said something along the line of, "I sure wish Samsung would get these manual camera features... I'm sure going to miss this LG G4." If you don't like the phone enough to actually buy one, why are you involving yourself in the testing program? I know not everyone has the money to buy the phone off-contract, but if you're not at the point of willing to at least spend a couple hundred dollars (to buy the phone on-contract) within the next month or two... why are you doing this? Just for the chance of getting to keep the phone?

Too much of a rant? Probably ;)

As a side note, in an earlier rant I stated that only 4 would get to keep the phone... I was wrong. If you complete all of the weekly tasks, for each week, you'll get to keep the phone.

View attachment 178626

Your rant is spot on. Most of the pics being posted are horrid. I don't know if it's twitter compressing them, or if they are just crap to begin with. I saw that tweet about the S6 manual controls. That guy won and none of us did. THAT annoys me.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Most of the pics being posted are horrid. I don't know if it's twitter compressing them, or if they are just crap to begin with.

I think it's misuse of the settings; in particular, the "hdr-scape" photos can be a bit atrocious. As was pointed out by one of the AC editors, the HDR should only be used when there's a definite difference in lighting in different parts of the photo.

On the other hand, some of the photos being presented are awesome.

The testers could all benefit from reading Alex's article: http://www.androidcentral.com/how-take-great-photos-lg-g4 (Here's the relevant piece about HDR: "Auto HDR is pretty good, so leave it on. This setting detects scenes that require HDR (high dynamic range), which usually means shots covering both very bright and very dark areas.")

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I think it's misuse of the settings; in particular, the "hdr-scape" photos can be a bit atrocious. As was pointed out by one of the AC editors, the HDR should only be used when there's a definite difference in lighting in different parts of the photo.

On the other hand, some of the photos being presented are awesome.

The testers could all benefit from reading Alex's article: http://www.androidcentral.com/how-take-great-photos-lg-g4 (Here's the relevant piece about HDR: "Auto HDR is pretty good, so leave it on. This setting detects scenes that require HDR (high dynamic range), which usually means shots covering both very bright and very dark areas.")

Yes. I actually think the HDR scape pics look good. The thing with that kind of HDR photography is that you either love it or hate it.

That's still less than 10 people from Canada posting on Twitter about winning. I wonder if they are still rolling out the emails.

Posted via my Galaxy Tab S 8.4" running IronROM v2.x

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I actually think the HDR scape pics look good

Oops, hope I didn't offend. Some of the HDR-scape shots are done well, really picking up the mood of the landscape. There are a couple, though, where the HDR is distorting the colours to the point where things look displeasing. (I'm looking forward to trying it out!)

For the number of testers, you'd certainly expect them to sharing their enthusiasm on twitter. If I was one of those 35 I'd be tweeting like mad... "I've been chosen! I'm a worthwhile person after all!" So yes, maybe, there might still be emails to go out ;)

(We could start a thread: "worst photos taken as part of #trylgg4". But I guess there's that whole "judge not lest ye be judged" thing...)

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Oops, hope I didn't offend. Some of the HDR-scape shots are done well, really picking up the mood of the landscape. There are a couple, though, where the HDR is distorting the colours to the point where things look displeasing. (I'm looking forward to trying it out!)

For the number of testers, you'd certainly expect them to sharing their enthusiasm on twitter. If I was one of those 35 I'd be tweeting like mad... "I've been chosen! I'm a worthwhile person after all!" So yes, maybe, there might still be emails to go out ;)

(We could start a thread: "worst photos taken as part of #trylgg4". But I guess there's that whole "judge not lest ye be judged" thing...)

Lol all good. I'm impossible to offend. 99% of the time, it's me doing the offending...... Hahaha

Yea, I agree with you completely. Some shots done in excess HDR look awesome, others look like a bad cartoon. It totally depends on WHEN the excess HDR is used.

I know eh? I would be tweeting like crazy if I won, which is what I assume LG would want. Spread the #TryLGG4 hashtag.

Honestly, it'd be cool to win one in the contest. Either way, I'll have one as I'm buying one the second they are released in Canada.

That's another thing. No release date or info from any Canadian carriers yet. I heard unofficially June 12th I think it was, our was it 17th??? Lol

Posted via my Galaxy Tab S 8.4" running IronROM v2.x

JamzKroll

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Called LG support, they said "if you have no been emailed than unfortunately you where not selected" I think they also said "everyone was emailed yesterday" but IDK.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Called LG support, they said "if you have no been emailed than unfortunately you where not selected" I think they also said "everyone was emailed yesterday" but IDK.

It seems like they picked based on the heaviest social media users, not actual skill.

That would explain the "quality" of some of the pics being posted.......

Trent9810

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Talked to the Lg rep for Best Buy today June 19 is the day it is coming out. He also told me that both a black leather and plastic are in the same box.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel