Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

Wifi only with this one, it's an international unlocked version that doesn't work with my Verizon service.

I think it's going to be at the very limits of my size preference, maybe a bit over but I'm going to keep an open mind. It's a plastic phone, which to me is fine because it won't dent and it's incredibly light, the techs at the Verizon store couldn't get over how light it is. If you're going to be in a case then this factor goes away. The plastic is a bit slippery so I'd opt for the leather or just get a nice thin case for it.

The back buttons took about 5 seconds to get used to, not sure why all phones aren't like this, I never did care for side buttons and this seems like a natural fit for your hand.

Rear firing speaker - ummm, nah...LG needs to get with the program.

Display - not as rich as the S6 but really nice.

Camera - just starting to fiddle with it, first thoughts are really good. The one below (on auto) is a tough assignment for a camera, different focal points, back lighting, fairly wide angle, different light sources...all in all good job, surprisingly good IMO. I can see how this camera will be a big hit.

On screen buttons compared to the physical button like the Samsung - eh, not a big deal to me either way, it is what it is, I can't see either being a major deal...however a fingerprint sensor would be a big plus.

More to come...
    Attached Thumbnails Initial thoughts on my G4-20150524_070959.jpg  
    scottysize and belodion like this.
    05-24-2015 06:45 AM
    I've been looking for "real world" battery reports but since you're only on Wi-Fi, that's a bummer.

Leather is where it's at! Slap a leather back on it and go. Well, maybe a glass on the front.

I saw a YouTube video on the rear speaker and thought it was decent and loud enough.

Your pic you attached turned out well.

Keep us posted.
    05-24-2015 06:54 AM
    Totally a bummer, trust me. The rear firing back speaker is loud enough, it's just in the wrong direction! It works though, used to it from Samsung phones.

One thing I was concerned about was the phone rocking while on the desk while I'm using it as a calculator since it's curved, in reality it's not a big deal, not totally stable like the S6 or iPhone would be but it's workable. Since my phones are used 90% for my business this was of concern to me. Guess I can check that one off the list.
    05-24-2015 07:06 AM
    Oh...I do like the option of the replaceable battery although my use would not be for daily switching but rather when it gets tired in a year or two. Also like the SD card option, I really don't want to be tied to a cloud service as my only storage option. I like the ability to pop the old card into my new phone. I own a construction/remodeling company and job site pictures are critical for me to have on hand at all times. There's been a lot of press by manufacturers and storage pundits justifying the absence of the SD card since that's the way some phones are going, but it seems to me to be akin to the "emperors new clothes" mind set than reality.
    ibcop likes this.
    05-24-2015 07:59 AM
    Wifi only with this one, it's an international unlocked version that doesn't work with my Verizon service.

Just a suggestion... Why not get a prepaid plan to test out the LTE? Walmart resells T-Mobile unlimited data/text and 100 minutes for $30 a month:
    (Email Delivery) New T-Mobile Monthly4G $30 Unlimited Web & Text with 100 min of talk - Walmart.com
    Iirc throttled to slower speed after 5GB.

So basically you can just spend $30 for a single month. You only go around once
    I've never done prepaid and I doubt it has roaming - T-Mobile has roaming agreements with other carriers. AT&T and other prepaid may have something similar. So you'd need good T-Mobile coverage in your area.

By the way - did your phone include some kind of screensaver installed? I get my G4 on Tuesday, screensaver later in the week.
    05-24-2015 08:44 AM

One thing I was concerned about was the phone rocking while on the desk while I'm using it as a calculator since it's curved, in reality it's not a big deal, not totally stable like the S6 or iPhone would be but it's workable.
    A bean bag or similar would fix that, perhaps, for the G4 or any curved phone, if used often in that way. Even some flat phones might benefit if you're tapping away at them on a very smooth surface.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-24-2015 08:48 AM
    Just a suggestion... Why not get a prepaid plan to test out the LTE? Walmart resells T-Mobile unlimited data/text and 100 minutes for $30 a month:
    (Email Delivery) New T-Mobile Monthly4G $30 Unlimited Web & Text with 100 min of talk - Walmart.com
    Iirc throttled to slower speed after 5GB.

So basically you can just spend $30 for a single month. You only go around once
    I've never done prepaid and I doubt it has roaming - T-Mobile has roaming agreements with other carriers. AT&T and other prepaid may have something similar. So you'd need good T-Mobile coverage in your area.

By the way - did your phone include some kind of screensaver installed? I get my G4 on Tuesday, screensaver later in the week.
    I didn't get the Sim card for Walmart but they honored it and gave it to me which was nice. What I'm finding is that data on 4g is much slower than on my Sprint device....that's a bummer!

05-24-2015 09:01 AM
    I didn't get the Sim card for Walmart but they honored it and gave it to me which was nice. What I'm finding is that data on 4g is much slower than on my Sprint device....that's a bummer!

well hearing sprint is faster than anything is a first.
    05-24-2015 09:10 AM
    T-mo is pretty dreadful here, but thanks for the suggestion.

It did come with a screen protector installed...sort of...it has a tab at the top for removal and it wants to come off, with that tab it's definitely not permanent.

Look at the top right in the pic...
    Attached Thumbnails Initial thoughts on my G4-20150524_100934.jpg  
    tardus likes this.
    05-24-2015 09:13 AM

Maybe the T-Mobile prepaid LTE is slower than post paid? When I get my G4 on Tuesday I'll be popping in the sim from my G3 so will post the LTE speed of both.
    05-24-2015 09:19 AM
    well hearing sprint is faster than anything is a first.
    Pretty much my thoughts, lol

Maybe the T-Mobile prepaid LTE is slower than post paid? When I get my G4 on Tuesday I'll be popping in the sim from my G3 so will post the LTE speed of both.
    Thats what im thinking to but when I was speaking the rep over the phone, she assured me that it was 12mb and not 8mb data speed like some of their other plans. It'll be interesting so find out when you get yours.
    05-24-2015 09:58 AM
    Those that have this phone and are new to LG, what do you think of the size?
    05-24-2015 03:20 PM
    Those that have this phone and are new to LG, what do you think of the size?
    +1 I too would like to know, will be coming from a Moto X. THX
    05-24-2015 03:50 PM
    +1 I too would like to know, will be coming from a Moto X. THX
    It's going to be quite different from the X. I'm coming from the GS3, a one handed device for sure, but the G4 is big, too big for one hand so you'd better be ready for it if you get it. Of course there's always trade-offs, the bigger phone is great to interact with and this has some nice features.
    jexx likes this.
    05-24-2015 04:58 PM
    I'm coming from a flip phone, so take my opinion with that in mind. I was able to play with the G4 this week when the T-mobile tour bus came to Boston. There was no one else around so I got about 40 minutes with the device - not a daily driver situation but a good first impression.

To me it felt great in hand. As many have said the curve is very slight, and I was able to one-hand without too many problems. Its a light phone, and the plastic backplate I used had a good amount of grip, so by resting my fingers along the back I didn't feel like I was going to drop it. Reaching to the opposite corner is a stretch (even for someone like me with large-ish hands) but was possible.

I can also attest to the screen looking nice. Even with the 6pm sunset and direct sunlight on the G4, I could still make out the screen quite clearly. Very excited for the handset and looking forward to picking one up on release.
    tardus likes this.
    05-24-2015 05:23 PM
    To me it felt great in hand. As many have said the curve is very slight, and I was able to one-hand without too many problems. Its a light phone, and the plastic backplate I used had a good amount of grip, so by resting my fingers along the back I didn't feel like I was going to drop it. Reaching to the opposite corner is a stretch (even for someone like me with large-ish hands) but was possible.
    I can see what you mean, if I cradle the phone sort of half-way I can reach most of the screen, but it's still a stretch. Not as nimble as a smaller phone but you get features associated with a larger screen that you don't with the smaller one.

Part of me is envious of the iPhone 5 people that can one hand everything, but I'm not when I look at the screen. No phone does everything and being that this is primarily a work device I go with the bigger screen.
    Douglas_B likes this.
    05-25-2015 05:08 AM
    BTW...I just want to thank Mobile Nations and AC for the opportunity to receive this early and I'm glad to post my thoughts on it...solid device that has a future with me!!
    Sophos and scottysize like this.
    05-25-2015 11:46 AM
    The g3 is perfect for one handed use,IMO.... I have to think the g4 won't be too far off.
    I would love for someone to check signal strength vs iPhone 6 or s6 via dBm...or even g3.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
    05-25-2015 12:34 PM
    The g3 is perfect for one handed use,IMO.... I have to think the g4 won't be too far off.
    I would love for someone to check signal strength vs iPhone 6 or s6 via dBm...or even g3.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
    I was wondering that to, I hope that the cell radio/ antenna is good, I've had a few Samsung phones that the cell signal was pretty bad, Motorola seems to have the best. My LG Optimus G Pro is better than Samsung, but not as good as Motorola. All 3 with the same sim card, & all 3 on AT&T.

05-25-2015 05:16 PM
    I was wondering that to, I hope that the cell radio/ antenna is good, I've had a few Samsung phones that the cell signal was pretty bad, Motorola seems to have the best. My LG Optimus G Pro is better than Samsung, but not as good as Motorola. All 3 with the same sim card, & all 3 on AT&T.

I've had the best reception with my m8 over any other phone so far. I'm hoping that the new chipsets in the g4 does even better on AT&T here in the Midwest

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8 till my LG g4 comes in.
    05-25-2015 07:05 PM
    Some more thoughts as I'm getting used to the device:
    - this is the phone for me, I'll be getting a Verizon model as soon as it hits the stores. My first LG and it's great...
    - love the on screen buttons and the fact that you can add/remove and rearrange them as you wish
    - I like the quick memo feature, makes me wish the phone came with a stylus
    - getting used to the size but not sure I'll ever totally be comfortable with it...time will tell. It hasn't spent any time in my pocket since I can't utilize its phone function...soon with the new one.
    - I like the Samsung phone interface better, to use I just go into contacts and swipe right to call, swipe left to text, the LG is more clunky IMO.
    - I like the dark background on the Samsung better...maybe LG comes out an option for that sometime?
    - knock on/knock code is a nice feature
    - light weight is great, feels comfortable in hand due to the curve. A "grippier" case should help with handling it...the ones I ordered seem slow in getting here.

more to come...
    ibcop likes this.
    05-29-2015 07:22 AM
    Some more thoughts as I'm getting used to the device:
    - this is the phone for me, I'll be getting a Verizon model as soon as it hits the stores. My first LG and it's great...
    - love the on screen buttons and the fact that you can add/remove and rearrange them as you wish
    - I like the quick memo feature, makes me wish the phone came with a stylus
    - getting used to the size but not sure I'll ever totally be comfortable with it...time will tell. It hasn't spent any time in my pocket since I can't utilize its phone function...soon with the new one.
    - I like the Samsung phone interface better, to use I just go into contacts and swipe right to call, swipe left to text, the LG is more clunky IMO.
    - I like the dark background on the Samsung better...maybe LG comes out an option for that sometime?
    - knock on/knock code is a nice feature
    - light weight is great, feels comfortable in hand due to the curve. A "grippier" case should help with handling it...the ones I ordered seem slow in getting here.

more to come...
    So I'm guessing you didn't come from the G3? I'm getting a GoPhone SIM from AT&T to try out the cellular part of it.
    05-29-2015 09:14 AM
    So I'm guessing you didn't come from the G3? I'm getting a GoPhone SIM from AT&T to try out the cellular part of it.
    A GS3 on crutches!
    05-29-2015 11:26 AM
    Well, welcome to the LG side of life
    05-29-2015 12:45 PM
    Real world battery charging with stock plug-in adapter:

3% to 100% - 1hr 45 mins
    05-31-2015 09:07 AM