Migration from G3 to G4 - LG Backup

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Well for me, the Tap & Go thing had the G4 download whatever apps were on my Nexus 6. Then I installed LG Backup on the Nexus and it brought over my call logs and text messages (minus MMS & group messages.... Seems none of them can transfer those)....

LG Backup worked for me. G3->G4 H815 ->G4 H811 - both mms and group sms.
By the way I run SMS Backup & Restore set to backup every night just in case.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
LG Backup worked for me. G3->G4 H815 ->G4 H811 - both mms and group sms.
By the way I run SMS Backup & Restore set to backup every night just in case.

Maybe MMS didn't work for me since I didn't originate from an LG phone then. I've tried SMS Backup and Restore a few times but never had much luck with it.

Posted via the Android Central App

ArtieTheOneManParty

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I've never used this feature, but I'm getting a G4 this week, coming from the G3. If I backup to my SD card, which I plan on just moving to the G4, this program will find my backup on the card, so that's all I need to do? I wish I utilized this when they swapped out my phone, and when I've done factory resets, seems like a great little tool.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I've never used this feature, but I'm getting a G4 this week, coming from the G3. If I backup to my SD card, which I plan on just moving to the G4, this program will find my backup on the card, so that's all I need to do? I wish I utilized this when they swapped out my phone, and when I've done factory resets, seems like a great little tool.

That should work fine. Pretty easy.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Quick question on the process here. On your G4, do you wait and let it install all your applications, then restore the backup from the old G3?

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If you backup the apps+data from your G3 using LG Backup, you just let LG Backup install the apps.

Thanks, been a while (two years) since I got new phone - I'm actually coming from a G2.

I thought when you initially logged into the new phone with your Google user account it started downloading and installing the apps that you had previously installed from the Play Store. Honestly can't remember if it asks you to do this, or if it just starts it automagically.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, been a while (two years) since I got new phone - I'm actually coming from a G2.

I thought when you initially logged into the new phone with your Google user account it started downloading and installing the apps that you had previously installed from the Play Store. Honestly can't remember if it asks you to do this, or if it just starts it automagically.

I think I let mine download what it needed to from Google, then I restored from the LG Backup. Probably works either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, it will do that. I usually go to play store immediately and stop all downloads.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I guess going from a G2 to a G4 was too much to ask for. 😢

Quite a few apps "lost" login information, several do not show up in the app drawer even though they are installed , several that use Maps functionality (radar, Waze, Sprint family locator) wouldn't show maps. Ugh...

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I guess going from a G2 to a G4 was too much to ask for.

Quite a few apps "lost" login information, several do not show up in the app drawer even though they are installed , several that use Maps functionality (radar, Waze, Sprint family locator) wouldn't show maps. Ugh...

That doesn't sound quite right. Maybe wipe it and try again? Time consuming I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I agree. That doesn't seem quite right. I've done 3 migrations in the last 2 months. G2 to G3, and 2 different G3 to G4 with absolutely no issues. I know those aren't your situation exactly.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Funny thing, did two G2 to G4 s last night, mine and my wife's. Mine was wonky, hers went perfectly. I guess if one is not going to work, I'd rather it be mine. 😉

I thinks I got everything setup now, so not a real big deal. I was just hoping it would be easier.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Funny thing, did two G2 to G4 s last night, mine and my wife's. Mine was wonky, hers went perfectly. I guess if one is not going to work, I'd rather it be mine. 😉

I thinks I got everything setup now, so not a real big deal. I was just hoping it would be easier.

Well at least you know it should have worked lol.

Yushun Zhang

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I have LG L33L phone, I use LG backup to save all data to SD card. then I did a factory reset to solve some unrelated issues. after it boot up, the pre-install LG backup program is gone!!! how can I re-install the LG backup program? I am stuck with a .lbf file without the program the to read it back.
thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000