S6 or G4?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The G4.

Because the microSD card slot is extremely useful for me, along with the removable battery.

I love the Edge too, but find that the lack of expandable storage is problematic for me and it's too expensive for what it does compared to the standard S6.

I don't judge battery life through benchmark lab tests. It's obvious that the S6 can last longer in a lab, but for some reason, the G4 eclipses it in real-world battery usage, according to reviewers, which matters way more to me than some lab test. Also, the G4 seemed to be a bit quicker in real-world tests, probably due to optimization.

I love both phones, but ultimately, the G4 won me over.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I can get 5-6 hours SOT on my s6e. Can't comment on the g4 as I just got it today.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a question for everyone in this thread who get 5-6 hours or more SOT. Do you have jobs?

I get 2-3 SOT and it feels like I'm on my phone ALL the time!

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
SoT doesn't tell the whole story. Do they just turn on their phones and have it sit there lit up at minimum brightness? I'm sure my S6 could get 6 hours SoT doing that, but that is the only way I see my S6 getting that.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'll make my standard reply... I've never had any good experience with Sammy products, and I've always had good experiences with LG products, so based on that alone, I'd buy LG every time. But after holding the G4 and using it, I'd say it's the phone to get. It's an awesome device.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I have a question for everyone in this thread who get 5-6 hours or more SOT. Do you have jobs?

So then maybe it's a good thing I don't get much SoT on my S6, I'd have no time to work! lol

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

I have a feeling most of us do and alot of us use our phones as a part of our jobs. I probably send 20 emails a day on mine when I'm not in the office. Not to mention my daughter using it to play games or watch YouTube on the ride to school and in the evening after the kids are in bed I use it to catch up on news, forums, sports, and here lately in Texas constant radar checks. It's easy to have the screen on for 4-5 hours.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Agreed 100%. Standby is way more important for battery life than SoT and my S6 drains like mad in idle most days, but sometimes it's great without explanation. Just strange!

Really glad to hear the G3 & G4 sip battery in idle!

Indeed. Today for instance, I have 30 min SOT. My battery is at 68%. For some reason Google Play Services is now chewing up battery. Yesterday it was a champ. I had over 4 hours SOT when I went to sleep in plugged it in the charger. Today? I'll be lucky to get over 2 hours. This thing is so inconsistent that it is frustrating the heck out of me. It's sad because I love the S6 more than any device I've had. Screen, camera, build, size, speed are perfect. Everything but the dang inconsistent battery. It lasted all day like a champ when I first got it. 5 hours SOT regularly with little standby drain. Now some days it still does that while others it just drains like crazy. I've done a factory reset to see if it was something I've installed or something syncing way too much with no improvement. I know AT&T pushed out a small update a couple weeks ago, don't know if that is the root of my problems or not.

Either way....G4 is ordered. Gonna give it a good 14 days and if I like it almost as much, the camera is comparable, and the battery is an improvement, then I will sadly put my S6 on swappa. Even if I don't keep the G4 I may just go back to my trusty old Note 4 or iPhone 6 plus.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Indeed. Today for instance, I have 30 min SOT. My battery is at 68%. For some reason Google Play Services is now chewing up battery. Yesterday it was a champ. I had over 4 hours SOT when I went to sleep in plugged it in the charger. Today? I'll be lucky to get over 2 hours. This thing is so inconsistent that it is frustrating the heck out of me. It's sad because I love the S6 more than any device I've had. Screen, camera, build, size, speed are perfect. Everything but the dang inconsistent battery. It lasted all day like a champ when I first got it. 5 hours SOT regularly with little standby drain. Now some days it still does that while others it just drains like crazy. I've done a factory reset to see if it was something I've installed or something syncing way too much with no improvement. I know AT&T pushed out a small update a couple weeks ago, don't know if that is the root of my problems or not.

Either way....G4 is ordered. Gonna give it a good 14 days and if I like it almost as much, the camera is comparable, and the battery is an improvement, then I will sadly put my S6 on swappa. Even if I don't keep the G4 I may just go back to my trusty old Note 4 or iPhone 6 plus.

I've only had my G4 for 24 hours but I can tell you already that it is exceeding my S6 Edge by a great margin. The standby is iPhone-like. I'm at 1 hour SoT (unplugged at 6am, it's now 1:21pm) and at 86%. Took some calls, played around, sent messages. My Edge would probably be at 50% by now.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Agreed 100%. Standby is way more important for battery life than SoT and my S6 drains like mad in idle most days, but sometimes it's great without explanation. Just strange!

Really glad to hear the G3 & G4 sip battery in idle!

Hard for me to see standby time on my G4, I have this habit of using it til it dies lol

Posted via the Android Central App

InVez

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
S6.

i used all Galaxy S models, only the S5 was a hardware/look dissapointment.
Also i used to have the Lg Optimus G, the G2 and G3 (16gb and 32gb versions)

I have never used the G4 but i prefer Samsung.

The G3 screen was not bright enough. The phone was laggy. I tried the xda forum still no solution. Not sure about the G4's software but i dont trust LG.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Tough call....S6, Note 4, G4, all great phones.
Love Sammy but have really become an LG fan after the G3.
I debated over getting one of the new Sammy's but never got the wow factor while looking at them.
Can't really go wrong these days, everyone is making remarkable stuff......get the the one that sings to ya.
The G4 did it for me.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Tough call....S6, Note 4, G4, all great phones.
Love Sammy but have really become an LG fan after the G3.
I debated over getting one of the new Sammy's but never got the wow factor while looking at them.
Can't really go wrong these days, everyone is making remarkable stuff......get the the one that sings to ya.
The G4 did it for me.

I'm a spoilt sod i have the M9, S6E and the G4 but at a cost of becoming poor and hungry lol

Every one of the above will serve you well and has its strengths and weaknesses.

I loved my G3 and some will recall lol sold to go in part to purchasing the S6E.

I'm using my S6E as my daily until i get my Sim adaptor, then i will be using the G4.

Then i may switch to the M9, back to the S6E and then G4.

Yeh ill shut up now lol 😜😜😜😜

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX