LG G4 Review (From an Owner of the G2 and G3)

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
First, thank you Mobile Nations, and more specifically AndroidCentral for providing me with a review unit! You guys rock and continue to demonstrate why the community continues to grow! Now, I've only had the device 12 hours, so I'll be updating this post at intervals. I just wanted to get something out there now from a G2 and G3 owner.

Look: So at first sight, it’s a slightly curved G3. Just looking at it, I’d say the two are the same size. Of course it still has minimal bezels and a great front and that 5.5” display. You do notice the rounded top and bottom are not quite as pronounced giving me the appearance of a smaller phone from the G3. Also, the shiny bottom is gone giving you an all-black front with the LG logo at the bottom. (I actually liked the shiny bottom bezel of the G3 more.)

Feel: Upon picking it up, that’s where the difference is. It feels lighter and thinner to me. I think it’s because the edges are thinner than the G3’s, because I know it’s not thinner. In fact, its .06 inches thicker, and it’s actually .21 oz. heavier, but the feel is what I’m going on. It feels thinner and lighter.

Display: I really don’t see a huge difference between the G3 and G4 display. It doesn’t seem brighter, but then again, I didn’t have a problem with the G3 in sun light like others have. I was able to see it yesterday in the sun with my Polarized sunglasses on, so that’s all I care about.

UI: I’m still not sold on Lollipop, but it’s got it. I guess I’ll always be a Gingerbread man, because I haven’t liked the look of anything since Android 3.0. It just seems cartoonish. This isn’t a slam on the G4, it’s just my own personal opinions about Android 4+.

Camera: Great as always. Launches fast. Looks good. Takes great pictures. I haven’t had a lot of time with it, so I’ll be posting more pictures later.

Battery: More later. I’m currently testing it.

Signal: More on this when I can get it on a cellular network.

Conclusion: If you’re looking to move from the latest and greatest phone (IE: HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S6, or even the LG G3), I would advise against it. There’s just no noticeable upgrade from today’s premier devices. However, if you’re unhappy with your current phone, then the G4 is one to consider. I do not see any significant improvements over the G3 that would make me want to upgrade to the G4. Had I not received one for testing, I would have skipped this version and been content.

Last edited:

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Here's a picture taken of the thunderstorms last night. Hopefully it'll come across as great in this post as it did looking at it. The sun was gone and nothing but clouds overhead. It was taken around 8pm.

20150527_204132.jpg

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
You can almost see the alien ship appearing from behind those clouds.😰

Posted via the Android Central App

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
First, thank you Mobile Nations, and more specifically AndroidCentral for providing me with a review unit! You guys rock and continue to demonstrate why the community continues to grow! Now, I've only had the device 12 hours, so I'll be updating this post at intervals. I just wanted to get something out there now from a G2 and G3 owner.

Look: So at first sight, it’s a slightly curved G3. Just looking at it, I’d say the two are the same size. Of course it still has minimal bezels and a great front and that 5.5” display. You do notice the rounded top and bottom are not quite as pronounced giving me the appearance of a smaller phone from the G3. Also, the shiny bottom is gone giving you an all-black front with the LG logo at the bottom. (I actually liked the shiny bottom bezel of the G3 more.)

Feel: Upon picking it up, that’s where the difference is. It feels lighter and thinner to me. I think it’s because the edges are thinner than the G3’s, because I know it’s not thinner. In fact, its .06 inches thicker, and it’s actually .21 oz. heavier, but the feel is what I’m going on. It feels thinner and lighter.

Display: I really don’t see a huge difference between the G3 and G4 display. It doesn’t seem brighter, but then again, I didn’t have a problem with the G3 in sun light like others have. I was able to see it yesterday in the sun with my Polarized sunglasses on, so that’s all I care about.

UI: I’m still not sold on Lollipop, but it’s got it. I guess I’ll always be a Gingerbread man, because I haven’t liked the look of anything since Android 3.0. It just seems cartoonish. This isn’t a slam on the G4, it’s just my own personal opinions about Android 4+.

Camera: Great as always. Launches fast. Looks good. Takes great pictures. I haven’t had a lot of time with it, so I’ll be posting more pictures later.

Battery: More later. I’m currently testing it.

Signal: More on this when I can get it on a cellular network.

Conclusion: If you’re looking to move from the latest and greatest phone (IE: HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S6, or even the LG G3), I would advise against it. There’s just no noticeable upgrade from today’s premier devices. However, if you’re unhappy with your current phone, then the G4 is one to consider. I do not see any significant improvements over the G3 that would make me want to upgrade to the G4. Had I not received one for testing, I would have skipped this version and been content.

Very nice write up and like you i received a review unit from the great guys here at AC and mobile nations.

They have a fantastic approach to the community and you can see why it continues to grow.

Extremely gratful & i share some of what your saying.

The Screen does seem brighter and better than that of the G3 but im going by memory now as i have since sold my G3 to go in part payment for my S6 Edge.

But there is an improvement im sure of it lol

I wont hijack the thread but again nice one dude :)

oldschoolsig

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
That sky looks like Texas the last 6 weeks.
I'm very interested in your signal thoughts, would you be comparing in dBm?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Wish I could. I have Verizon and it appears that it doesn't work with CDMA. I'm looking into an AT&T card, but I can't compare an AT&T signal to Verizon. Hummm. Maybe I'll get a micro SIM for my iPhone from AT&T. This way I can compare the iPhone 6+ signal to the G4. I'll look into that today.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Just ordered a GoPhone SIM from AT&T. I'm sure it'll be next week before it arrives, but I'll be on the cell network then. I'll let you know. And yes, I plan on comparing dBms.

oldschoolsig

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, you deserve the leather back for being a helpful reviewer...the g4 would be a certainty for me,as I too am coming from the g2 and 3 but I am tempted by the note series and the s pen.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Nice! Congrats to everyone who did. Great community we have here.

Thanks dude and the selection has been spot on, all have been accurate and providing great insight to the G4.

I will say congrats to the rest also and keep up the great work guys.

Great Spirit from the community & AC Team.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, you deserve the leather back for being a helpful reviewer...the g4 would be a certainty for me,as I too am coming from the g2 and 3 but I am tempted by the note series and the s pen.

LOL. Thanks. I'm fine with the plastic back for now ;)

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Couple of photos in doors looking at a safety vest.

Taken from 5' away no zoom.
No Zoom.jpg

Taken from 5' away with X3.0 zoom
3X Zoom.jpg

Finally 5' away with X8.0 zoom. 5' is probably not far enough to zoom in. Just sayin' :D
8X Zoom.jpg

I wish I still had my G3. These photos look better than any I can remember taking with my G3, but it could be the newness of the G4.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Couple of photos in doors looking at a safety vest.

Taken from 5' away no zoom.
View attachment 178708

Taken from 5' away with X3.0 zoom
View attachment 178709

Finally 5' away with X8.0 zoom. 5' is probably not far enough to zoom in. Just sayin' :D
View attachment 178710

I wish I still had my G3. These photos look better than any I can remember taking with my G3, but it could be the newness of the G4.

8x Zoom does loose detail a bit but as you stated if you stood further back.

Its still impressive at 8x as some others wouldn't retain what the G4 has :)

Oh and some or most don't have 8x.

mikebear

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I come to my G$ via G3 & G2 also. The only 2 differences I find moving from the G3 are, I like the feel of the leather back and the camera (and the manual mode software) are FANTASTIC. For me it was worth the upgrade. If you're not really interested in a better camera, don't bother to upgrade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance