VZW or AT&T G4?

brewzer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I am at a point where I am off contract and just on a month to month plan on AT&T with my G3. I have had AT&T for the last 3-4 years and they have been pretty good for the most part. Way better than Sprint ever was, but that's not saying much. Anyway I am going to sign up using the Next or Edge program and just wondered if anyone had any reasons I should choose one over the other.

I know both will put plenty of bloatware on their phones, but I think VZW is worse from what I hear. The coverage in my area is pretty much the same, but VZW might be slightly better. Then there is the VZW G3 update catastrophe that worries me and I know AT&T releases updates faster. My employer reimburses me $60 a month and I am only getting a 2 or 4GB plan so cost isn't a big issue.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I've used both, and I've had a much better experience on AT&T. Quicker updates, etc. Service is comparable for me.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
If you have friends or family with Verizon in your area, ask them for an honest opinion on service and non serviceable areas.

Posted via the Android Central App

brewzer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
My ex had VZW and her coverage was just about the same, but perhaps slightly better. I think I am going to stick with AT&T.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had both and prefer Verizon over ATT for the coverage and customer service.

Posted via the Android Central App

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat right now but on Verizon. My service is paid by my employer and we can use either Verizon or AT&T. I was considering moving to AT&T to have more phone choice in the future (unlocked, dev edition devices) but I started thinking... if my phone that I got on contract worked fine I wouldn't need to purchase a phone off contract ever. So I don't know. I know Verizon's service is far better everywhere around me. Depends on your priorities. Mine are battery life and service. The updates I don't mind waiting an extra month or two on Verizon.

My Verizon upgrade is on June 8th so I will decide by then but I am leaning toward staying with Verizon. Assuming the Nexus phones going forward are going to be compatible with Verizon the unlocked devices don't matter as much.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
VZW and AT&T both bloat up the phones .. One may do one less app than the other but usually .. it is pretty much the same.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The first consideration is signal. Since they're both about the same for you, that's not a consideration.

The next consideration is service. I have no faith in Verizon service (and I was a cellphone dealer for years, so I know the difference). AT&T? They're not perfect, but they're miles ahead of Verizon. Ever get an apology because they had to give you a new phone? I got one from AT&T, and she really sounded sorry that I'd have to go to the trouble of restoring my backup to the new phone, but part of the storage chip in the phone was blown, and they don't do board-level repairs on almost anything any more. (It's cheaper to throw the bad board out than to pay a trained technician to fix it.).

The next consideration is weak signal. CDMA (like Verizon) signals, when they get weak, sound like someone speaking underwater. That makes some people queasy or seasick. GSM (like AT&T) gets like autotuning on steroids (imagine Cher on drugs) - that annoys some people. (I prefer GSM.) There's no more "weak signals get noisy" - it's digital, so either there is a signal or there isn't. When there isn't, what the decoder does to the missing parts of the signal determines what it sounds like to you.

Updates? AT&T is known for being slow, but Verizon is right on their tail (if having the latest bugs in your phone matters to you - I'm still running 4.4.2 or 4.4.4, depending on which one I boot. They both work. No bugs that affect me. And with an Amoled display I don't need all that battery-eating white. I also don't need the memory leak in 5.0, which is the latest ROM AT&T has for my phone - I sometimes leave it running for weeks at a time, and a memory leak would crash it.)

At least (as far as I know) neither one has locked the bootloader on the G4 yet, so that's not a consideration either. (Stay away from Samsung if you think you might ever want to change the kernel or try a completely custom ROM or CyanogenMod. They weld that thing shut so tight that Fort Knox looks like an open meadow with no fence.)

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I was on VZW earlier this year but I switched over to AT&T because my bill is ~$25/month cheaper with similar coverage and same type of data plan.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I'll offer you this advice.

Which ever carrier you choose, never accept anything about the contract, or plan you are signing up for that is not in writing... Period. If the salesperson promises you something or quotes you a price , get it in writing...

If they aren't willing to put what the salesperson in writing, walk away before signing anything yourself or giving them your payment.

You will see firsthand which company is willing to do this and who stands by what is written if there is a issue later on. BTW.. I always have whatever store manager sign off on what is written down and signed too...

Good luck on getting this done at any Verizon store and I have only had trouble with 1 ATT store salesperson a few years ago

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8 till my LG g4 comes in.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
VZW and AT&T both bloat up the phones .. One may do one less app than the other but usually .. it is pretty much the same.

On the s6 at Least, the Verizon version has the least customizations over stock Android ... By a decent amount.

Sent from my LG G4

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I suppose it depends on what you value and what service they offer in your area. I live in the western US (Utah) and Verizon beats everyone hands down. I'm on T-Mobile but my brother is on Verizon and I'm shocked at all the places he gets LTE. I'm not with Verizon, though, because they cost more and are a little too strong handed with how they do business. I don't travel outside of major metropolitan areas much so I don't need LTE in every nook and cranny, so T-Mobile is great for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax