I've encountered my first negative on my new G4 and it's a bad one.

I'm on T-Mobile and I have VoLTE turned on. I have an S6 Edge and an iPhone 6 Plus as well. I just took a few calls this morning and the call quality was horrendous compared to my other phones. It sounded very muffled and hard to hear. Definitely did not sound like VoLTE quality where my other devices have never once failed to deliver amazing quality. I actually couldn't understand some people I was talking to it was so bad. And this is people I talk to quite often and have always had crystal clear quality on my iPhone 6 Plus and S6 Edge.

Anyone else have any comments on actual call quality on the G4?
    05-29-2015 10:54 AM

I'm on T-Mobile and I have VoLTE turned on. I have an S6 Edge and an iPhone 6 Plus as well. I just took a few calls this morning and the call quality was horrendous compared to my other phones. It sounded very muffled and hard to hear. Definitely did not sound like VoLTE quality where my other devices have never once failed to deliver amazing quality. I actually couldn't understand some people I was talking to it was so bad. And this is people I talk to quite often and have always had crystal clear quality on my iPhone 6 Plus and S6 Edge.

Did you try calls with Volte off!
    I had the G3 on Att and call quality was better than my iPhone 6 Plus
    05-29-2015 10:58 AM

I've only talked to my brother and sister and they both have told me that I sound much better than my Sprint G3. Call quality also sounds better to me. I'm not sure if this is a carrier or device issue though. I have my G4 activated with T-Mobile.
    05-29-2015 11:01 AM
    I actually did try VoLTE off and it was even worse. The people I was talking to claimed it was worse as well.

Sigh, I knew it was too good to be true. Always something.
    05-29-2015 11:02 AM
    I actually did try VoLTE off and it was even worse. The people I was talking to claimed it was worse as well.

Sigh, I knew it was too good to be true. Always something.
    Wait, you have a T-Mobile branded device or unlocked? I have an unlocked G4 so your issue may be with your carrier or your device. I'd ask other people with T-Mobile branded devices if they're having the same issue. Hope you get it resolved!
    05-29-2015 11:06 AM
    You may want to exchange and see if it continues to do that to you.
    05-29-2015 11:12 AM
    Wait, you have a T-Mobile branded device or unlocked? I have an unlocked G4 so your issue may be with your carrier or your device. I'd ask other people with T-Mobile branded devices if they're having the same issue. Hope you get it resolved!
    It's purchased from T-Mobile.
    05-29-2015 11:26 AM
    It's purchased from T-Mobile.
    I'd take it to them and have them check it out. If they can't resolve your issue then ask for another device or just get a refund. You shouldn't be having call quality issues on a brand new device.
    tardus likes this.
    05-29-2015 11:33 AM
    I'd take it to them and have them check it out. If they can't resolve your issue then ask for another device or just get a refund. You shouldn't be having call quality issues on a brand new device.
    I just wasn't sure if it was normal for this phone or not. It honestly sounds like my iPhone call quality pre VoLTE. It doesn't sound horrendous but once you've had an HD call it's hard to go back.
    05-29-2015 11:45 AM
    Could simply be a bad earpiece speaker. Some memo apps will play a recording through the ear speaker, maybe check that out.
    05-29-2015 11:52 AM
    Good advice. Bring it back to the store and compare. I have the global version H815 and using it on T-Mobile. No HD voice or VoLTE - and i'm told the call quality is excellent - T-Mobile, land line, and AT&T on the other end.

Try using headphone/ear phones that have a mic also to find the cause...
    05-29-2015 12:03 PM
    Just got mine delivered this morning...
    For me, call quality is actually noticibly better then on my HTC M7... I am on TMo as well.. I would def look into maybe replacing phone.
    05-29-2015 12:31 PM
    Just got mine delivered this morning...
    For me, call quality is actually noticibly better then on my HTC M7... I am on TMo as well.. I would def look into maybe replacing phone.
    It could be a local network issue. At least if replaced there won't be a refurbished.
    05-29-2015 12:39 PM
    It could be a local network issue. At least if replaced there won't be a refurbished.
    Would it be a huge coincidence if I had network issues on the only day of my G4 and none in the previous year with my other phones? I'll bring it in to the store but I just think maybe the earpiece is of lower quality than my other phones.
    05-29-2015 12:56 PM
    My T-Mo G4 has great call quality on VoLTE (At least for the 5 phone calls I've had in the scant 24 hrs I've owned it)
    05-29-2015 01:12 PM
    I just wasn't sure if it was normal for this phone or not.
    It's not normal for any phone to have bad call quality. My first GSM phone and my first CDMA phone already had decent quality - and that was over a decade ago. If LG decided to put a lossy codec in their phone, that's a problem with the phone. If your phone has a bad receiver (the piece you listen to), that's a problem with the phone. Out of the box, it either works or gets replaced. I'd check the replacement out before leaving the store, and just hand it back if it's bad. It wouldn't bother me to go through their entire stock of G4s and turn them into returns to LG. (When manufacturers start getting trainloads of returns, they'll start making sure that they don't send out 99% rejects. Unfortunately, most people take the "oh, well, what can you do" attitude and put up with junk. [When a phone is returned like that, it's usually junked, so it costs LG. When a boatload is returned, engineering gets to say "we told Marketing it wasn't ready - will you let us set the release schedule now?"])
    GrooveRite likes this.
    05-29-2015 02:18 PM
    Would it be a huge coincidence if I had network issues on the only day of my G4 and none in the previous year with my other phones? I'll bring it in to the store but I just think maybe the earpiece is of lower quality than my other phones.
    Then why not use a headset/earphone like I suggested to test? On T-Mobile where I am I do have days when the network is bad. Things do happen. You can rule out low quality earpiece - maybe defective but not low quality. Good luck getting it resolved.
    05-29-2015 02:49 PM
    Well there's not much I can do until next week since the phone isn't even released in stores yet. Has anyone used this phone that previously used a 6 Plus?

Maybe I just have unrealistic expectations but my other two phones do sound much different.
    05-29-2015 02:59 PM
    Well there's not much I can do until next week since the phone isn't even released in stores yet. Has anyone used this phone that previously used a 6 Plus?

Maybe I just have unrealistic expectations but my other two phones do sound much different.
    This may sound stupid, but is there anything blocking the war piece? I had a screen protector once that caused the same thing that came from the factory

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8 till my LG g4 comes in.
    05-29-2015 05:46 PM
    I just used my brother in laws 6 plus to make a test call, then made same exact call with my G4... I can notice a slight difference, but it would be hard to say one was better than the other.

The 6 seemed maybe a little louder, but the G4 seemed a little clearer... And thats if im really really trying to say there is a difference. During both calls I felt the call quality was great.
    05-29-2015 06:16 PM
    He makes a good point. I've had phones where a screen protector or piece of plastic was inhibiting the earpiece. It happened on my Z3 actually.

Also even if they don't have it in store yet take it and show it to the staff there. T-mobile only ships warranty replacements so you couldn't get it from the store store anyway.

This may sound stupid, but is there anything blocking the war piece? I had a screen protector once that caused the same thing that came from the factory

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8 till my LG g4 comes in.
    05-30-2015 12:29 AM