My first three days with the LG G4

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
First I'd like to thank AC sending me the LG G4.
LG G4, 5.1 LOLLIPOP.
Good points.. Good battery life.
Much faster than 4.4 kit kat.
Back buttons smoother, slicker. A lovely subtle curve to the phone.
Overall a much improved phone over the LG G3 on kit kat 4.4.
Bad points...
Unlike the LG G3..
Ringtones and sms tones.
Through stock you cannot set your own personal sms tones, just stock. The only way to get round it is to download a third party sms app, ie chomp, textra etc. Then you can indeed set you're own sms tone that way via setting 's notifications in third party sms app.
Ringtones.. You can only assign a ring tone using a music track from your music. I made some 30 second Ringtones, added them to my music library and assigned them that way. Hopefully there is an update to 5.1 to fix this. It is indeed a backward step.
All in all I would give the LG G4, 8/10.
Im happy with it. The best is the battery life. A good phone overall.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Unlike the LG G3..
Ringtones and sms tones.
Through stock you cannot set your own personal sms tones, just stock. The only way to get round it is to download a third party sms app, ie chomp, textra etc. Then you can indeed set you're own sms tone that way via setting 's notifications in third party sms app.
Ringtones.. You can only assign a ring tone using a music track from your music. I made some 30 second Ringtones, added them to my music library and assigned them that way. Hopefully there is an update to 5.1 to fix this. It is indeed a backward step.
phone overall.

I hate to ask this, but are you sure? This the first I've heard of this, that is a major step backwards.

I can't believe that no one else has reported this (or if they have that I missed this).

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
You're talking about Settings, Sound & Notifications? I've got a wide selection of ringtones in there.

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
First I'd like to thank AC sending me the LG G4.
LG G4, 5.1 LOLLIPOP.
Good points.. Good battery life.
Much faster than 4.4 kit kat.
Back buttons smoother, slicker. A lovely subtle curve to the phone.
Overall a much improved phone over the LG G3 on kit kat 4.4.
Bad points...
Unlike the LG G3..
Ringtones and sms tones.
All in all I would give the LG G4, 8/10.
Im happy with it. The best is the battery life. A good phone overall.

I don't think its possible for this to be correct.

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Keep this thread bumped, there's no way this is correct.

No offense to the OP, but maybe you're going to the wrong place... don't go the traditional way you're used to doing it.

I remember reading about a feature they have as well using the Auto-Made-Up ringtone sounds and stuff, so maybe there's a different way to assign SMS tones.

Also OP, try to see if you do it from the contacts.

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I have the same model as the OP (AC sent me an international version as well. Thanks so much!!)

Anyway went to the sound settings and found the setting for Notifications under Advanced Settings at the bottom. Is this not what you're talking about OP?

Attachments

• 1253.jpg
    1253.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 165
Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Believe me I have tried everything.
Only way to get personal sms is through Chomp sms, doesn't work through stock.
Only way to get personal ringtones is from my music albums list.
I had the G3 with no problems. G3 was simple. If I set my own sms and ringtones through stock it jumps back to stock instantly, although it says it's set as say 'jump around' ringtones it's plays stock, ie random stock tones. It's annoying. I have been on other forums, other people having same problems with 5.1 on other make phones too.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Believe me I have tried everything.
Only way to get personal sms is through Chomp sms, doesn't work through stock.
Only way to get personal ringtones is from my music albums list.
I had the G3 with no problems. G3 was simple. If I set my own sms and ringtones through stock it jumps back to stock instantly, although it says it's set as say 'jump around' ringtones it's plays stock, ie random stock tones. It's annoying. I have been on other forums, other people having same problems with 5.1 on other make phones too.

I have the same model as you and I can set my own personal ring tones and notification tones.

Attachments

• 1433076047419.jpg
    1433076047419.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 50
  • 1433076058980.jpg
    1433076058980.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 49

sata

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Just wondering, can you add your own ringtone mp3/wav files to some folder and they will show up to select from, or do you have to install some app to do that?

If you can, which folder do you need to copy the files to?

Update: Thanks, I couldnt find how to do that on the G2

Last edited:

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering, can you add your own ringtone mp3/wav files to some folder and they will show up to select from, or do you have to install some app to do that?

If you can, which folder do you need to copy the files to?

I have a folder in my SD card called sounds and within it I have folders called ring tones and notifications and alarms that I've been collecting since 2010 and they all show up in their respective places.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if that is what he meant but I just checked and I can do that too.

Oh ok. I noticed on my M9 HTC removed that feature. I just assumed it was a Lollipop thing. I ended up having to install a 3rd party messaging app to be able to assign different tones for different people.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Oh ok. I noticed on my M9 HTC removed that feature. I just assumed it was a Lollipop thing. I ended up having to install a 3rd party messaging app to be able to assign different tones for different people.

My apologies I just checked again and I can't seem to assign distinct tones for SMS for individuals, only ringtones. I don't assign different SMS tones for people but I'll take a closer look and post later.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
My apologies I just checked again and I can't seem to assign distinct tones for SMS for individuals, only ringtones. I don't assign different SMS tones for people but I'll take a closer look and post later.

It's kind of a must have for me. I also like to select different vibration patterns for different people. That way I know when it is work so I can ignore them. LOL.