Migration to G4 not going well

bobby35ny

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello All!
I have been back and forth with phones before, never really an issue.
Going from the S4 to the G4 is making me crazy.
I know I can get my contacts and calendar once I log into my Google acct. No problem.
Copy pics and music, no problem.

Its the moving of the apps., I used the LG NFC and its not taking my apps. It only takes the google apps.
I tried just swaping the sd card and installing apps fresh but its not picking up the data.

Any Ideas?

-Bobby

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Yep, the Smartshare Beam is for sharing between two LG devices. The only thing that a Samsung and an LG would have in common would be your Google account, and what is saved to that.

Posted via the Android Central App

xikle

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
All of mine migrated no problem from a GS3...strange (SMS however did not)

When I did the tap setup coming from my N6, it brought over all my Google stuff, plus all the apps I had on my phone that I downloaded from the Play Store, though I did also have the option cloud backups (Settings > Backup/Restore) turned on, so that might have something to do with it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The feature from Google's migration tool might be misunderstood (greatly because,well, they don't really explain HOW it'll do it). Basically it's only transferring what it could transfer before via BT/WiFi: pictures, contacts, calendars, settings, media, SMS/MMS (not all phones allow MMS backups, so those might be missing), etc.

Although it says it'll transfer your apps, the truth is, it won't. It takes the list of apps installed in the old phone and automatically initiates the download from the Play Store on the new one. Not data is transferred unless the app you're using supports either cloud saving or manual data backup/restore (for example, to an SD card or Dropbox). Since the download can only be initiated from the Play Store, all apps downloaded from other sources or sideloaded onto your phone will not 'transfer' over.

bobby35ny

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
The feature from Google's migration tool might be misunderstood (greatly because,well, they don't really explain HOW it'll do it). Basically it's only transferring what it could transfer before via BT/WiFi: pictures, contacts, calendars, settings, media, SMS/MMS (not all phones allow MMS backups, so those might be missing), etc.

Although it says it'll transfer your apps, the truth is, it won't. It takes the list of apps installed in the old phone and automatically initiates the download from the Play Store on the new one. Not data is transferred unless the app you're using supports either cloud saving or manual data backup/restore (for example, to an SD card or Dropbox). Since the download can only be initiated from the Play Store, all apps downloaded from other sources or sideloaded onto your phone will not 'transfer' over.

Using the example of Tapatalk and Android Central apps.
Going from the Galaxy S4 to the HTC M9, they transferred over!!!
Returned the M9 and moved back to the S4 they transferred over.
Going from the S4 to the LG G4 they didn't get transferred.
-Bobby

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781