This phone is incredible - LG G4 !

Oliver Newell

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone! New lad here. Thank you to everyone who welcomed me in my frist thread as well :)

I am from windows phone background, suing their phones since they came out nearly 5 years ago, and I have enjoyed the experience. I have had 8 phoens during that period, moving to the new OS from my HTC Legend which, although the phone itself was ncie, I did not get on with android at that time.

Windows phone was clean, fresh new approach, very well optamise.d The lack of apps didn't bother me at the time, I just wanted a stable reliable easy to use phone.

I up until Monday, iw as using a 1520. It is 18 motnhs old now but starting to wear down. The battery is nto holding tis charge well and the screen si blotching. Not that impressed as 18 months isn't extremely old for a phone, and ti was expensive as well.

Well, Microsoft have ruled out a replcament for the 1520 at least until enxt year, and that just isn't good enough for me. The 940 doesn't offer anything more than my 1520 does.

I have been very interested in the new array of android phones, and the G4 took my fancy. I have heard good things about the G series and the latest LG phones in general, people saying the G4 is the phone to have.

Some people I know who have got the S6 and some of the things I have heard surprise me. It seems not everyone is happy with the phones for whatever reasons, but I would want a Samsung anyway. I find their build quality and touchwiz quite poor.

My first phone was an LG U8320 like 11 years ago. A traditional flip phone with a screw-able antenna, I loved it! I also had LG Viewty, Cookie and a couple of sliders as well. I favour LG the most probably out of all the phones I have had. I found their phones to be well made and nice to use, well designed. Only reason I started to go with nokia is because LG dropped windows phone only after making the optimus 7 which was my first WP.

So I ordered a G4 form the Carphone Warehosue (I am from England) and to my surprise, delivery took less than 24 hours and arrived at half 9 on Monday morning!

I absolutely adore this phone. It is pretty much perfect.

The build quality is flawless, even though it is plastic. There is no flex in the body what so ever, compared to my Nokia which did have some, even though it was unibody and the LG isn't, probably just down to better engineering with the LG.

Note this model is Made in Korea. Most high end Samsung for example (not all of them though) are now made in Vietnam and China, so it seems LG are keen on keeping production local, which is always a good thing. To me it makes the product more genuine.

It is really lightweight and so nice to hold. The curved design may aid with the durability, and the leather backing is so nice. Soft leather, really good stitching and it just looks and feels to fancy!

Those buttons on the back are genius! I find my fingers are always resting near there and the volume rocker and lock buttons are well distinguished form each other.

The camera! Oh my gosh the camera! I don't usually care much for cameras on phones, but my 1520 did have a good one. It was 20 MP carl ziese or however you spell it. It did take nice pictures, but the G4 blows it out of the water. The aperture is really wide and the laser autofocus is just amazing. You can focus on really far away objects and it takes like less than a second to take the picture! The front facing 8 meg camera is brilliant, really clear.

These quadbeat 3 earphones are the best I have ever sued with earphones bundled. Really clear, deep bass, well detailed and they are good quality with the fabric coated wire and the phones have a good weight to them.

The rest of the packaging was fairly typical, although the standard silver backing was also supplied, which I wasn't expecting! WP_20150601_14_34_15_Pro.jpgWP_20150601_14_44_35_Pro.jpgWP_20150601_14_45_38_Pro.jpgwp_ss_20150601_0001 - Copy.jpg

Android itself is just ahh! Brilliant! Things which probably sound small and obvious to you android veterans, but being able to change the style and speed of animations, how to unlock the phones, what swipe action happens (knock unlock is so cool by the way) changing the colour, style and size of the keyboard, swiping left r right for one handed use is great!

Performance is excellent. Most apps like messages, contacts, facebook, chrome, youtube open instantly and games load fast and they look great! GUI is fluid and the menus style look really nice.

The speaker on the back is also worth a mention. It is of course mono but it does not distort, it is very loud and it is clear and actually has some bass to it.

Again, being able to change the pitch and speed of the music playback is great !

Finally, the quick remote is brilliant! I have all LG TV sets and you can even sue the magic remote with this!

I cant praise this phone enough and I am so glad I took the jump to LG/Android. Just a really, really lovely phone and anyone think of getting one, I urge you to do it!

Also want to say thank you to the ambassadors and everyone else who welcome me in once again :)

Any question regarding anything else, let me know :)

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your insight and welcome to AC.

Sorry had to share now that you mentioned the viewity, cookie but i believe the below pics are the snap which i still have 😜😜😜

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 8224.jpg
    8224.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 8229.jpg
    8229.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 113

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Let us know how your leather back does. THere's been quite a few reports of the leather rubbing off on the corners. Looks like a nice package though. Congrates!

dotsin

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
awesome review!!

I like those headphones they gave you, the cloth wiring is sweet!
US customers did not receive them, I will add them to the list including the Quick Circle case I want to buy

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
WOW, we def get shafted here in the states! Only extras we get is a charger and cable. Surprised we even get that!! lol.

Anyhow, congrats on your new device Oliver and please, keep telling us your thoughts and experience with your new device! :)

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Nice review. I've had mine in hand for a few hours now and using alongside my S6. I really love the build and look of the S6. There is no comparison in that regard (except that I love the leather). However, it seems a bit more snappy to me and the battery thus far appears to drain less than my S6 in standby. Of course it will take me a few days to form a definitive conclusion on that but I do think this device is a keeper.

Last edited:

Oliver Newell

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
WOW, we def get shafted here in the states! Only extras we get is a charger and cable. Surprised we even get that!! lol.

Anyhow, congrats on your new device Oliver and please, keep telling us your thoughts and experience with your new device! :)

You do have to remember chap that this phone cost me £520, which is 780 USD which, correct me if i am wrong, is much more than in the states. This is completely unlocked sim free though.

Oliver Newell

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your insight and welcome to AC.

Sorry had to share now that you mentioned the viewity, cookie but i believe the below pics are the snap which i still have 😜😜😜

That is cool! I had the original viewty though which came out in 2007 i think. Loved it, had it 2 years. Everyone made a huge deal of the 5mp camera ! 😀

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
That is cool! I had the original viewty though which came out in 2007 i think. Loved it, had it 2 years. Everyone made a huge deal of the 5mp camera ! 😀

Yeh that 5mgp camera lol was good at that time but i have fired it up and wow the lag lol 😜😜😜

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
That is cool! I had the original viewty though which came out in 2007 i think. Loved it, had it 2 years. Everyone made a huge deal of the 5mp camera ! ??????

Geez. It had a 5MP camera? I have a digital camera from that period that was only 3MP!

Oliver Newell

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Here are some photos i just took on a walk at tangnere airfield. That is a world war 2 watchtower with a lot of detail. Considering it was overcast i think these have come out well. The flash is very powerful. Also a paneroma photo as well which is really easy to use.

Attachments

• 28335.jpg
    28335.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 28337.jpg
    28337.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 28338.jpg
    28338.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 75

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Nice review looks like it is a great phone. I was debating between the g4 and s6.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Battle Of Britain Class 34067 Tangmere, named in honour of that airfield. She still runs in preservation, and tends to smoke heavily, as here. :)

Attachments

• 56686.jpg
    56686.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 69

larrynj

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Nice review thanks for sharing. I too will be going from WP to the G4 shortly. I'm looking forward to it.

Do you happen to use an exchange server with outlook? I ask because I'm wondering how the mail works with it. Specifically are you able to search and pull up old emails that are in an archived file on your server?

Oliver Newell

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Nice review thanks for sharing. I too will be going from WP to the G4 shortly. I'm looking forward to it.

Do you happen to use an exchange server with outlook? I ask because I'm wondering how the mail works with it. Specifically are you able to search and pull up old emails that are in an archived file on your server?

Good for you man. You will love it.
Yes, it works wonderfully for outlook. You can pull enails from all folders and tou can adjust at what backdate you wanr it to pull emails, i have selected "all time" something like that, and all the archives are here.
Infact i have 3 outlooks, a gmail and yahoo and it all works well. Of course you can conglomerate them which i think makes it easier.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I haven't gotten my G4 yet (arriving Friday) so can't speak to the built in Exchange program but I can tell you I use "Nine for Exchange" and it is a phenomenal piece of software. You can't even tell the messages are sent from a phone instead of the PC or laptop.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia