Keep G4 or S6 Edge?

aaronc_98

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I really like both phones and am having a hard time deciding which phone to keep.

My Favorite things about the G4:
  • Removable Storage
  • Removable Battery (which i need because I am not getting through a whole day)
  • Free 128 GB SD Card (T-mo)
  • Screen Size 5.5" is perfect for me
  • Leather back has grown on me
  • KNock on
  • UI is better than TouchWiz

My Favorite things about the S6E:
  • Screen
  • Speed (Exynos speed is amazing)
  • Battery life is good after a few tweaks
  • Fit and Finish is amazing (to me anyway)
  • Qi Charging built in
  • Unlocked bootloader
  • Rooted

Things that aren't great for G4:
  • Battery is not awesome- can't make it past 6pm
  • 808 is not awesome but pretty good
  • Can't get to bootloader (H811 - T-MO) - this is just weird at this point
  • No Qi charging cover included

Things that aren't great for S6E:
  • No removable storage or battery
  • Not much Dev support due to Exynos
  • Capacitive buttons

What do you guys think? They are both awesome phones with their plusses and minuses.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
It's your device. You have to decide what is best for you. If it was me, I'd pick the G4 just for a change as I've has the S line for a while. Wait.....thats what I did! Lol

Posted via the Android Central App

DrewRasmus

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I feel like i'm the only one who went in the store and reallllly didn't like the way the edge felt in the hand. I instantly knew i wouldn't be getting it and i'd hold out for the g4.

jeepentj

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I have the S6 Edge and although I like it, am moving to the G4. Although I suppose I could change my mind after I actuall have them both in my hands (waiting on the G4), I think the G4 is the better phone. I have struggled with the S6 - battery life, lag, curved screen, etc.. Bring on the G4.

Purely all personal opinion of course...

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I have the S6 Edge and although I like it, am moving to the G4. Although I suppose I could change my mind after I actuall have them both in my hands (waiting on the G4), I think the G4 is the better phone. I have struggled with the S6 - battery life, lag, curved screen, etc.. Bring on the G4.

Purely all personal opinion of course...

I have both the S6E & G4 oh and ill throw in the M9 also.

Wouldn't part with either for now at least but i don't have to.

Many things i prefer the G4 over the S6E and vice versa.

The G4 however is my daily driver at present and i am really enjoying all that it has to offer 😀

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If I could I would trade my S6 for a G4 to try it out. I haven't tried a LG phone before .. but I do use their TVs all the time.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
It's your device. You have to decide what is best for you.

This is the best answer right here! You can't allow people to decide which device is best for you. Only you can make that choice.

If I could I would trade my S6 for a G4 to try it out. I haven't tried a LG phone before .. but I do use their TVs all the time.

Holy Moly, you're an Ambassador and a Moderator now?!?! I'm not messing with you anymore!!....lol ;) Congrats! :)

jeepentj

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I have both the S6E & G4 oh and ill throw in the M9 also.

Wouldn't part with either for now at least but i don't have to.

Many things i prefer the G4 over the S6E and vice versa.

The G4 however is my daily driver at present and i am really enjoying all that it has to offer ??????

I like your perspective. In your opinion, what does the S6 do better than the G4?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This is the best answer right here! You can't allow people to decide which device is best for you. Only you can make that choice.

Holy Moly, you're an Ambassador and a Moderator now?!?! I'm not messing with you anymore!!....lol ;) Congrats! :)

He is now the most powerful of us all. It's scary.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I like your perspective. In your opinion, what does the S6 do better than the G4?

Tbh not much the G4 really is an incredible device but ill try and encapsulate my views.

The S6E is just stunning in build and i find the curve edge display aesthetically pleasing (without root opening up more options) aesthetics is all that its about really (but very nice).

The Audio quality is better on the S6E than that of the G4 but this can be subjective i know.

Rapid charging is exactly that (rapid).

Wireless charging without having to buy extra covers etc.

The S6 has that premium feel and i like alot (especially with my Dbrand skin).

However the G4 is solid and has a warmer and still pleasing build.

I do like the fingerprint scanner/reader on the S6 and it has worked very well for me.

The Screen is slightly brighter on the S6E and being amoled colours pop.

The G4 and its screen is just different as is the way and i would say both are incredible, and Lg have upped it on the G4 over the G3 and to the S6 hmm i like both, its that close.

I don't want to ramble on to much about a S6E vs G4.

They both have their merits but if that removable battery and Sd card are quite important to you, then you sure as hell wont miss to much by letting go of the S6 for the G4.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

The Samsung smart tv's aren't so smart. If you check your DSN they call home to an obscure server in Korea in order to operate!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The Samsung smart tv's aren't so smart. If you check your DSN they call home to an obscure server in Korea in order to operate!

I don't use Samsung TVs (I use LG) -- Also I don't use smart TVs from anyone. Why pay a boat load of extra $$$ for a Smart TV when my $30 Chromecast makes the TV smart? :D.

doc31

May 15, 2010
Visit site
seems to me 3 things are your G4 list can't get replaced/met on the gs6 and 3 items on your gs6 4-5 that can be archived on the g4. Choice doesn't seems that hard ;)

jeepentj

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Good stuff. Clearly, both are great phones with no losers. The difference boils down to personal preferences and minor differences. I know... first world problems right here! :)

amdybg40

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Had a normal S6 for a few days, tried the Edge version in the shop and the light reflecting off the curve was a instant turn off for me.

Now, I like to live dangerously and don't use protection...on my phones! I always like to rock my handsets naked, as no matter how thin a cover is, it always adds bulk and takes away from the natural phone feeling in the hand, which manufacturers put a hell of a lot of work in to. However, I had no choice but to use a cover for the S6 as the damn camera hump was too big, so i was worried about scratching the lens and metal surround, just in case i wanted to return it, which i did!

Also, no matter what, i could not get through a day without having to recharge the handset. I unplug at 7am, check emails and route to work, then the phone sits on my desk all day with the odd bit of web browsing at lunchtime, bit of social media, the normal really. With the S6 i would have to put the phone on charge again when I get home at 6pm, as would only have about 20% left. If I spent my lunch on the phone the whole time (1hr) I would have to plug in at 4pm before my journey home. Same routine with the G4, get home with over 60%, which is a bloody great difference!

I actually returned the S6 after 5 days and went back to a Nexus 6 until the G4 was released. Don't miss anything from the S6 at all, build style not my thing, terrible battery, screen too small for me personally ( deffo 5.5" min sweet spot for me), although I will say that it's the best Galaxy yet, just not quite as good as the G4 ;)

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I feel like i'm the only one who went in the store and reallllly didn't like the way the edge felt in the hand. I instantly knew i wouldn't be getting it and i'd hold out for the g4.

Your not alone in this...

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8 till my LG g4 comes in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon