At&t vs T-Mobile

QuickStorm

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
So I'm due for an upgrade soon on At&t and 100% going with a G4. Only thing is t-mo has a promotion running for a unlimited plan (data/talk/text) and that's very intriguing for my wife and I because it's cheaper, than our current At&t plan.

Now how are the two services compared to each other? Data speeds, voice quality, service strength etc.... I live in the SF bay area, if that helps.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

imnjs

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Living in Dallas the service isn't bad at all. LTE is spotty in some areas like my house but WiFi makes up for it. I only really see the bad side of t-mobile service if I go way out to rural areas, but that's rare. The unlimited data definitely makes up for it.

Oh, and in areas where I'm getting decent LTE it's stupid fast.

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Should be good in the bay area, but I wouldn't know since I'm in Florida. But the beauty about T-mo is that u won't need to wait until your contract ends... u can just switch now and they will pay your terminations fees and pay off your phone if u are on a next program. Can't lose wit T-mo if your area has strong coverage.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Unlimited data at full speed? Or unlimited data at full speed up to 3GB (or some other low number), then 56kb for the rest of the billing period? There's a HUGE difference. (The "two-tiered unlimited" plans basically give you the full speed limit - what you can download 24/7 for a month at the low speed isn't as much as the 3GB you can download in a few minutes.)

2. Check the actual coverage where you use your phone. Find someone on TMobile, or make sure you get the "cancel within X days at no charge" option in writing, and test out every place you need coverage. (And I don't mean that if you work downtown, go downtown and check - sit at your desk and check. Dead spots can be inches across, and if you have to sit near the door every time you need to use your phone, it's not worth it. Check every room in your house. Sprint covers this town like a blanket. Walk into my daughter's house and there's a bit of signal if you hold the phone horizontally againse one window pane in one bedroom. But walk anywhere around the yard, patio, lawn - perfect signal. (And it's not the house - AT&T and Verizon are solid all over the house.)

"The SF Bay area" doesn't mean much. You could have solid signal, walk across the street and have none. In SF, in the business district, and along interstates, you probably have excellent coverage by all carriers. It's in your basement, deep inside a huge store out in the boondocks, places like that, that you have to check. If you're in the store, and they don't have the size whatever your wife wants, and you have to walk across the parking lot to call her to ask if you should buy 2 small ones - are you really getting a good deal?

I'm not saying that AT&T is good and TMobile is bad - you may find that TMobile covers the areas you need better than AT&T does. And their data plan may actually be unlimited at full speed (I haven't looked). But those are the things you need to check before making the choice.

And check out their service department. There is one locally for TMobile, right? I know there is for AT&T unless your nearest neighbors walk on all 4s and have tails and fangs. And I know they're good. (They actually apologized for having to replace one of my phones. You're giving me a new phone and you're sorry? I like that kind of service attitude [even if they weren't sorry], and I'm willing to pay more for it than "we'll have to send your phone out for repair - it can take from 2 to 6 weeks". I have spare hones - do you?)

falc39

May 29, 2015
Visit site
T-mobile has a test drive option. I'm trying it right now. Google: T-mobile test drive (I'm not allowed to post links yet)

They send you a iPhone5s and you get to use it a week for free. I've been testing the connection at places I frequent (work, gym, etc.) and I'm impressed. But I live in the heart of Silicon Valley so I'm sure it wont be the same for many people. When the week is done you just return the phone at a T-mobile store. The beauty is that you don't have to do anything with your old carrier yet and if doesn't work then you just return the phone and continue on like nothing changed.

phillyhtc

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile's unlimited plan is really unlimited. I've yet to experience any throttling (with either DC-HSPA+ or LTE) in the years I've had the plan and use about 30GB/month. I'll be in the Bay area next week so im anxious to see what coverage is like out there compared to the Northeast.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Is T-Mobile good in your area? If it's bad AT&T is way worth it. I stay mainly in the same spot so T-Mobile works for me and I can enjoy unlimited data... But if it was bad I'd be on Verizon or something else.

larrynj

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I received the test drive phone Monday and switched today. Over the 4 days the coverage was almost exactly the same as my ATT phone. That being the case it was a no brainer decision for me. I got my G4 tonight and couldn't be happier. Time will tell but I'm very confident that T-Mobile will be as good or better coverage & service wise.

Btw: I left the grandfathered unlimited plan at ATT.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
T-mobile coverage sucks where I am at. Tried it for a week. Try it before you switch is all I can say about it.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I tried T mobile for a month once couldn't use it, way to many dead spots. I live in Florida so maybe it's just here. I travel around the south end of the state Miami to Orlando, all the southwest side of the state, and the month with T Mobile I was without phone service a lot. Seems pretty strong in major metropolitan areas, Miami was fine. If you don't travel a lot and have good service at home and work, I guess that's what matters most.

Pemard

May 12, 2015
Visit site
I use t mobile in the bay area and I get lte about 99% of the time. It drops down to 4g at work but it's kind of in a remote area. Hope that helps

larrynj

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
2. Check the actual coverage where you use your phone. Find someone on TMobile, or make sure you get the "cancel within X days at no charge" option in writing, and test out every place you need coverage. (And I don't mean that if you work downtown, go downtown and check - sit at your desk and check. Dead spots can be inches across, and if you have to sit near the door every time you need to use your phone, it's not worth it. Check every room in your house. Sprint covers this town like a blanket. Walk into my daughter's house and there's a bit of signal if you hold the phone horizontally againse one window pane in one bedroom. But walk anywhere around the yard, patio, lawn - perfect signal. (And it's not the house - AT&T and Verizon are solid all over the house.)

I'm not sure how well it works yet but T-Mobile has Wi-Fi calling and messaging. I'm looking forward to using it more because I had dead spots in certain areas of my apartment with AT&T. Regularly I would get voicemails when my phone never rang.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: At&t vs T-Mobile

Here in Dallas T-Mobile is really good. Once you get outside the main metro area it lags compared to the Big Two but here in the DFW area it is insanely good and the speeds are much better. I have been with AT&T for 15 years and still have a line with them as well and right now their coverage is much better. However, I see T-Mobile being the better value. I go out to my hunting lease in West Texas a few times a year and T-Mobile has major holes right now along that route where there is no service at all. For these instances I just go get a prepaid Sim from Cricket and pop in one of the unlocked phones I have. If T-Mobile is true to their word that won't be an issue by the end of the year. They are working very aggressively on expanding their coverage. I'll hang on to my 2 for $100 unlimited data and hope their projected end of 2015 coverage map is correct.
f78cf8002fef3e4ba2c623803a48ca2c.jpg
fda82922b4034ba1b666e9d69311d9da.jpg

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I wish T mobile was an option for me but they just don't have the coverage yet for me. But At&t has increased their coverage for my home area so at least I do have an alternative and no longer tied down to just one carrier , as it use to be until recently.
So maybe T-Mobile will also increase their coverage for me before much longer. Choice is a good thing :D

If t-mobile coverage map for the end of 2015 is completed its possible then they could be another option

Last edited:

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

In summary, At&t OR T-Mobile

If you live in a metropolitan area with good T-Mobile signal (or can wing it with wi-fi calling) go with T-Mobile . If not, go with AT&T.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Important is whether it gets good service where you need it. Service can vary greatly even in the same building.

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

I believe Tmo throttles your speed after a certain amount. In Indiana Tmo's coverage is not good so If you do any traveling around your state I would definitely compare maps carefully first.

bgl321

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Here in Dallas T-Mobile is really good. Once you get outside the main metro area it lags compared to the Big Two but here in the DFW area it is insanely good and the speeds are much better. I have been with AT&T for 15 years and still have a line with them as well and right now their coverage is much better. However, I see T-Mobile being the better value. I go out to my hunting lease in West Texas a few times a year and T-Mobile has major holes right now along that route where there is no service at all. For these instances I just go get a prepaid Sim from Cricket and pop in one of the unlocked phones I have. If T-Mobile is true to their word that won't be an issue by the end of the year. They are working very aggressively on expanding their coverage. I'll hang on to my 2 for $100 unlimited data and hope their projected end of 2015 coverage map is correct. //images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/05/f78cf8002fef3e4ba2c623803a48ca2c.jpg//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/05/fda82922b4034ba1b666e9d69311d9da.jpg

Just out of curiosity where did you get that map from? That would be a welcomed upgrade. I made the switch to T-Mobile from Verizon last Friday. Did the test drive for seven days and overall was very pleased. Yes there are dead spots and the signal is definitely not as strong as Verizon in areas as it can literally change from 1 inch to the next. I have traveled to a few locations in the last week where Verizon service was very spotty and surprisingly Tmobile's was excellent. I have one more week to try it. Tmobile is running a 14 day guarantee when you first sign up. If you don't like it within those 14 days you can return to your old carrier they'll take all the equipment back and everything for no fee. And I believe that applies to AT&T as well.

DrewRasmus

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I just made the switch from Att to t-mobile and couldn't be happier. I'd check out the service in your area. But i've found out that i have even better coverage with T-mobile where i live. And ulimited data is just so amazing. No more worrying.

Whatever you choose, Good luck!

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

I believe Tmo throttles your speed after a certain amount. In Indiana Tmo's coverage is not good so If you do any traveling around your state I would definitely compare maps carefully first.

If you have let's say a 1GB plan it will throttle after 1GB of data is used. But possible to limp along with the throttled speed for checking emails, light web browsing, and from what I've read - GPS/navigation will work fine. I've never tested because always have high speed data.

When throttled - no streaming or Youtube when throttled, or at least painful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34