OK Google with screen off?

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Yep. Not sure why they would ever limit Ok Google with the screen off to when it's charging. The whole point of Ok Google is to get things done hands-free. What would you need to get done only while charging?

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Being on all the time listening for a command would seemingly kill the battery standby time. Far as I know only phones with dedicated hardware do that. If the G4 has the stuff to do that it would be great.

vor

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Is this something that works with the default launcher or only when using the Google Now launcher?

vor

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Being on all the time listening for a command would seemingly kill the battery standby time. Far as I know only phones with dedicated hardware do that. If the G4 has the stuff to do that it would be great.
The moto x had special hardware with low power cores, but since then Qualcomm has integrated that sort of performance.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Is this something that works with the default launcher or only when using the Google Now launcher?

The "from any screen when screen on or charging" setting implies the launcher doesn't matter. Nova also has some settings to specifically enable it too if it wasn't enabled in the search app.

The moto x had special hardware with low power cores, but since then Qualcomm has integrated that sort of performance.

If the G4 has it that would be fantastic.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Even my note 3 has that capability. Haven't used it on my g4 but I suspect it would work. Worse case if battery drain is too high, just turn it off

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok. Just tried it again. Does not seem to work with the screen off but it does work from the lock screen. Maybe it was just a fluke somehow that I got it to work with the screen off earlier. Apologies.

chevuri

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
It used to work before not anymore after update. Now the only way i can use is either thru S voice or google voice using airwake (may the force be with you) wave hand and followed by google voice command.
S voice still is in development stage and cant do all things google voice can do so maybe activate s voice first and command google voice.

These are all the options i make use of as for the rest please let me know if you know a better way. Thanks hope this helps.

Awbrey50

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Here is what I have been able to do as a work around for always listening ok Google.

You will need s voice, Google now, and tasker.

1. Configure s voice to respond to wake commands. I use "ok google" at this point you can make it whatever you want.
2. In Google settings disable OK Google detection, (really need to do this if you use s voice with hotword ok google, if not your mic will have conflicts) but enable hands free. ( we will be using s voice wake to trigger google voice search via tasker)
3. Tasker create profile and task
Profile: Variable Set %WIN, Value S Voice
Task: 1. Go home 2. Launch app Voice search

Done

What will now happen is SVoice is programmed to respond to your wake command, it will wake causing tasker to follow its programming of going to home screen then launching voice search. Not a flawless fix but it works. Let me know if this helps anyone.

Steel Helix

May 5, 2016
Visit site
Just get an iPhone 6s, 6s Plus or SE, and 'hey Siri.' The M9 coprocessor has special DSP hardware to listen at all times with almost no extra power usage.

Not trollin'. I heard there's a patent on it. I actually thought OK Google is a bit nicer than Siri, but then again, it spies on you way too much. *shrug*

TheChosenDoge

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
I use Google Now with Nova Launcher and when my phone has its locked screen removed and it's just set to "Swipe" it will work when screen is off

But when i put any security on it stops working unless phone is unlocked and screen on

I guess it's to prevent people from doing stuff with your device when it's Locked

TheChosenDoge

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
Just get an iPhone 6s, 6s Plus or SE, and 'hey Siri.' The M9 coprocessor has special DSP hardware to listen at all times with almost no extra power usage.

Not trollin'. I heard there's a patent on it. I actually thought OK Google is a bit nicer than Siri, but then again, it spies on you way too much. *shrug*

He likely doesn't want to give up the ultimate customization and power user friendliness of Android. Lol and I'd be worried with it listening all the time....<.< lol

Harshal 27

May 25, 2016
Visit site

actually moto x is using that way before than iphones....
which uses X8 processor which contains contextual and natural language processors..
that triggers moto voice

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I configured this setting on my G4 and it won't work with the screen off...yes I selected all the correct options in Google settings but only works past lock screen.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol