G4 KnockOn feature not working

Ordep590

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone, this is my first post here!
Just bought my G4 off contract, on launch day from Best Buy (Verizon model) . My problem, and a major disappointment, has been the double tap to wake feature which worked seamlessly on my G3.
I'll double tap the display while on standby and the lock screen won't turn on unless I use the back power button. Has anyone else noticed this? It doesn't happen all the time but enough for me to think I might have a defective phone. I think it might have something to do with the sensor on the upper left-handed-side of the display
Thanks in advance!

ramandeepghuman

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone, this is my first post here!
Just bought my G4 off contract, on launch day from Best Buy (Verizon model) . My problem, and a major disappointment, has been the double tap to wake feature which worked seamlessly on my G3.
I'll double tap the display while on standby and the lock screen won't turn on unless I use the back power button. Has anyone else noticed this? It doesn't happen all the time but enough for me to think I might have a defective phone. I think it might have something to do with the sensor on the upper left-handed-side of the display
Thanks in advance!

Do you have a screen protector on it? I noticed if you cover the proximity sensor I believe it disables the tap to wake. I just tried it on my T-Mobile G4 and when I covered the sensor it wouldn't turn on!

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

AZwldcats

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I found that if in standby i had to do 3 knocks to reliably get it to wake up.

But after setting up a knock lock code it always works without any extra knocks.

ramandeepghuman

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I found that if in standby i had to do 3 knocks to reliably get it to wake up.

But after setting up a knock lock code it always works without any extra knocks.
Ya I had issues waking it up but it may be cause I'm tapping to fast or not hard enough. Like the last post I put a knock knock code and haven't had issues since!

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
With my G2 it did the same think but by better with use. Haven't had any problems with my G4 and I do have a screen protector, only cut out is for the speaker.

Ordep590

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Yep just realized that the glass screen protector on my G3 is formed around the sensor where as the one on my G4 covers the whole display. I'm going to take it off and see how it works

MikeVan79

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to re hash this topic. However, this is my first post on this forum so bare with me. I Am also using the app with my new phone and that leads me to my question/comment.

I just bought the LG G4. I know nearly not enough and will probably start to post often as switching from always using the Samsung S phones with last being S5.

So I am having somewhat the same issue as this topic is about. The double tap knock on feature works about 80% of the time during the day or in your house fully lit. It NEVER works in the dark. I could get over this if the small oval power button in the middle would wake my phone up but it only turns the light on for about one second...really a second! Not nearly enough time to enter my code to unlock the phone. After trying 15 times it will give me enough time with light to enter the code. If I get frustrated and cant get it working I sometimes have enough time to turn camera on and then it will give me enough time to unlock. Anyone else have this issue, specifically, in the dark. I have had phone for about 10 days and 2 trucks that helps sometimes is squeezing the phone/case when doing the knock on. The second is running my finger top to bottom starting from the censor. I am starting to think i should have stayed with my Samsung S and just went with the 6. Talk me off the ledge! Lol. I know this was long but I just want do better understand how to wake up my phone in dark and do I have to use knock on? Since my power button doesn't give me enough time/light to unlock my phone...Thanks!!

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
MikeVan69, do you have a screen protector installed, or does your case cover the screen? Your symptom sounds like what my G4 did when I had it in a case that has a clear plastic sheet over the whole screen. This covered the proximity sensor, which made the screen keep turning off quickly.

Hitting power should make the screen stay on for a while. If anything is covering the area between the front-facing camera, and the earpiece speaker, that covers the proximity sensors. Remove anything that covers that area, even a screen protector, and try again.

MikeVan79

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I do have a glass screen cover and it circles the ear piece and around the camera. Do I take it off and,use a new one but cut it smalLer?

prwisner

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
After reading these posts I tried taking my Otterbox commuter cover off my G4 and tried the double tap - works every time without the commuter cover - I also have the glass screen protector but that does not seem to be causing a problem - it doesn't cover the sensor. I also noticed if I leave the otterbox cover on and pull the softer cover away from the sensor the double knock works better as well. - the softer cover does not cover the sensor but for some reason it is impacting its operation. thx

RocketFoot

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I can also confirm that covering the prox sensor causes all kinds of havoc on the LGG4! I had a temp glass protector that covered the sensors and it made double tap not work as well as the phone would black out after a phone call. Even though the glass protector was clear, it was enough to make the phone think it was in a call (against your head) or in your pocket! Take the protector off and get one that has sensor cutouts! You be glad you did!

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Naked phone and I still sometimes have issues with the knock-on or double-tap. Nothing is covering the sensor, though it tends to occur more when the room is dark.

Allen Brandt

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
My experience from my previous LG G2 was that knock on worked much better near the top center of the screen. I would say the top third.

Now that I also have the G4, I'm just used to knocking there and it (mostly) works fine. Wasn't perfect on the G2, either

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I've got an OtterBox Defender on my G4. I removed the plastic screen protector that comes on the case and use a Skinomi tempered glass (only a speaker hole cutout). My tap to wake works 100% of the time, however, I must confess that I always tap 3 times. Sure, it's supposed to work as a double tap, but making it a triple tap takes no more measurable time to do and it always works.

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I've got an OtterBox Defender on my G4. I removed the plastic screen protector that comes on the case and use a Skinomi tempered glass (only a speaker hole cutout). My tap to wake works 100% of the time, however, I must confess that I always tap 3 times. Sure, it's supposed to work as a double tap, but making it a triple tap takes no more measurable time to do and it always works.

I'm going to try that from now on.

RicKaysen

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
No case, no screen protector and the knock on feature just refuses to work now. I found it to be one of the most useful things about this phone when I got it. Strangely enough, the knock off works every time.

sbudaj

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Tried knock code and it does work great, but it is apparently incompatible with Android Pay. Is there any workaround to keep both knock code and Android Pay.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams