Simultaneous Data & Voice VZW

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Go to Settings, Advanced Calling, and activate HD Voice, no extra cost. I believe talk and surf is a part of that.

I think you also have to activate HD Voice on VZW's website, if it's not already active. I don't think your phone will accept you turning it on, if it's not enabled on your VZW account.

Log into verizonwireless.com. Scroll down until you see your phone number and to the right you'll see "manage device". They changed their website. Do a search for HD Voice in the top right. Then that will take you to them telling you about the HD Voice features. There will be a button that says "Get HD Voice and Video Calling". That will take you to another screen that called Products & Apps and there will be a button called "Get it now". Click on Get it now and it will take you to the checkout screen and let you select the numbers you want it added to. If I remember correctly, it's not an automatic right away function. It takes a day for the HD Voice to be enabled on your account. Then you can enable it on your phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I just switched from AT&T to VZW and don't tell me you still can't talk and surf at the same time!? Still?

I will list below as to why this is the case.

GSM Carriers (AT&T / T-Mobile) – Both can use voice and data at the same. Either on HSPA or on LTE (using VoLTE).

CDMA Carriers (Sprint / Verizon) – These carriers can only handle voice or data. Not both at the same time… Unless using VoLTE. Verizon currently has VoLTE whereas Sprint doesn’t. You may be asking – why is this? My old phone did this... which I am sure it did. A longer explanation is below.

[INFO]
The older phones had two CDMA radios put in them (such as the S3 on Sprint). One dedicated to voice -- another dedicated to data. Therefore you could do voice and data. GSM has always been one radio because that one radio can do both tasks at the same time. They got around it on CDMA by simply adding another radio in there and dedicating each one to one task.

Now they're getting rid of that second CDMA radio. So therefore you can only use talk, or data -- not both at the same time. Now if you're using VoLTE for your calls it will allow voice and data since the call will be going through LTE (as data) so it is technically then all data which would bypass this restriction.[/INFO]

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The point is there is no dependable voice and data at VZW unless you keep an old phone with 2 radios. The Note 4 may have 2 radios, I'm not sure. My note 3 does so I will keep it for the time being. I don't think there will ever be a fix for any cdma phone that is ever in a 3g zone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The point is there is no dependable voice and data at VZW unless you keep an old phone with 2 radios. The Note 4 may have 2 radios, I'm not sure. My note 3 does so I will keep it for the time being. I don't think there will ever be a fix for any cdma phone that is ever in a 3g zone.

This is correct. They're trying to push everyone to LTE. One day they will want to shut down the old network and be LTE only.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I will list below as to why this is the case.

GSM Carriers (AT&T / T-Mobile) – Both can use voice and data at the same. Either on HSPA or on LTE (using VoLTE).

CDMA Carriers (Sprint / Verizon) – These carriers can only handle voice or data. Not both at the same time… Unless using VoLTE. Verizon currently has VoLTE whereas Sprint doesn’t. You may be asking – why is this? My old phone did this... which I am sure it did. A longer explanation is below.

[INFO]
The older phones had two CDMA radios put in them (such as the S3 on Sprint). One dedicated to voice -- another dedicated to data. Therefore you could do voice and data. GSM has always been one radio because that one radio can do both tasks at the same time. They got around it on CDMA by simply adding another radio in there and dedicating each one to one task.

Now they're getting rid of that second CDMA radio. So therefore you can only use talk, or data -- not both at the same time. Now if you're using VoLTE for your calls it will allow voice and data since the call will be going through LTE (as data) so it is technically then all data which would bypass this restriction.[/INFO]

This has been bothering me all night long and I can't let it go. I don't want to get into a war with you, but your data and what you said is not correct.

What you said is true of CDMA 3G networks. They cannot talk and surf at the same time. It is not true of CDMA 4G networks nor 4G LTE. Verizon 4G and 4G LTE phones can talk and surf at the same time. The only exceptions I know of are the Droid Turbo and Moto X. (there might have been other phones, but those are the only 2 that I remember.) Those two phones had to have a software update called Advanced Calling 1.0. This came out the end of last year. Once the those two phones were updated with the new software, and the account had HD Voice enabled, then those 2 phones could also talk and surf at the same time on 4G and LTE.

In the case of the Droid Turbo, I had one at the time of the update. Prior to, it could not talk/surf. After the update, it could talk/surf.

LG Phones: In the case of the LG G2 and LG G3, I know personally that both devices can most definitely talk and surf at the same time, because I used this function a lot with both phones and still use this function with the G2 every weekend. I never had to enable Advanced Voice on either phone to make them simultaneously talk and surf. They did this right out of the box from Verizon. Since I do not have the Verizon variant of the LG G4, I cannot say whether or not it can, but I have a feeling it can out of the box and I'd put money on the fact that it can out of the box. (Would someone with a VZW G4 please tell me if I'm wrong.)

Look in my siggy below. Every phone since the Droid Charge, including the Charge, could talk and surf simultaneously on 4G and 4G LTE except the Turbo. The Turbo needed the Advanced Calling update.

Please take it from someone who's lived through this entire experience. I do know what I'm talking about as I was the experimenter since my first SmartPhone in 2006.

Want to get lost on the rabbit hole, start with this link. It'll lead you to the rest of the story.
CDMA vs. GSM: What's the Difference? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Verizon 4G and 4G LTE phones can talk and surf at the same time.

This is not the case of any new phone on Verizon. This is due to what I wrote -- The older phones (such as the Note 4) had dual radios. Every single phone after the Note 4 has only had one radio and drops to 1X when VoLTE (Advanced Calling) isn't active.

Please understand I wrote all older phones had the dual radios that is why all previous Verizon phones could do this. This is why people are complaining they can't do it now without Advanced Calling. There is even a thread in the S6 area where a user talks about his phone dropping to 1X every-time a call starts -- It must use VoLTE. The CDMA radio cannot handle both functions (a CDMA call and data) .. with VoLTE it uses nothing but data so it is fine.

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Since I do not have the Verizon variant of the LG G4, I cannot say whether or not it can, but I have a feeling it can out of the box and I'd put money on the fact that it can out of the box. (Would someone with a VZW G4 please tell me if I'm wrong.)

VoLTE works fine out of the box with the G4. It just has to be enabled.

I actually ran into an issue with it at first where I had to remove Advanced Calling from my VZW account and then add it back to get VoLTE working. This is probably because I used a different sim card on the G4 since I didn't want to use my nano sim with an adapter.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon