Chrome really sucks up my G4 battery life...

bookspinner

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I have owned the G4 for three days, the first two days were great, with around 4 hours of SOT. However today I only get two hours of SOT with around 10% battery left and found out that chrome was the one that used most of my batteries.

Is this behavior normal? I think if chrome really uses that much of my battery then I should switch to another browser (i.e stock browser). Thanks in advance!

QuickMemo+_2015-06-09-16-20-56.jpg QuickMemo+_2015-06-09-16-21-06.jpg QuickMemo+_2015-06-09-16-20-22.jpg

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Try using chrome then do the same thing for the same amount of time with another browser. Use whichever uses less.

I havent had this issue with chrome though

bookspinner

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I was doing some web browsing today just like what I did normally on my phone. I noticed today that the battery drains so fast and the phone gets very warm around the earpiece and the rear camera whenever I browse for a while. Is this an expected behavior?

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I was doing some web browsing today just like what I did normally on my phone. I noticed today that the battery drains so fast and the phone gets very warm around the earpiece and the rear camera whenever I browse for a while. Is this an expected behavior?

Not normal

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Same experice I'm having, basically can't access any Web page with Chrome if I want to save battery life, you can literally see draining about 1% each minute or 2 at most, simply absurd been the Default and only browser on the phone.

Just in case somebody would love to suggest me doing a Factory Reset, I already did it, just for that reason and nothing has changed same draining while using Chrome. And really don't like or want to use another browser, I've been set on it and using Chrome for years now in all my devices, laptops, PC, phones and tablets why changed this because of a phone? When I got my S6 edge I began using the Samsung's browser for a while, trying to do the same on my Tablet but even with some lags on this and other forums, Chrome was faster than the Samsung browser so I went back to Chrome.

Yesterday was atrocious like I posted in other thread, 3.5 Hours of SoT before I needed to recharge at 6%, most of my usage yesterday was just browsing this forum, as I normally do when using Chrome with my S6 edge and the long list of previous phones, none of them were as bad as this one while using it.

Today, the Battery life seems to be normal again (Same than on the weekend, still less than expected but at least seems normal) but I haven't even opened Chrome today with it, I'm just scared of it now...;)

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I have been noticing that chrome has been really glitchy since 5.1.1 was released. I'm actually moving to Dolphin now. The multiple screens could be part of it. You can fix that in the app info screen I think

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I find Chrome Dev to be much faster. I have at least 35-40 tabs open when i look at recent apps and don't have anything like that battery drain.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

No. Are you using your carriers data or wifi when it gets hot? If you're using data, it could be getting hot when the connection is weak and cuts off and send the device into search.

This morning, I was underground in the train station here in NYC and had no connection except for some stops. I had to send some texts to my mom and sisters. I went from 100% to 92% within 10 minutes. Don't let your device search for signal, it will drain the bat life.

bookspinner

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
No. Are you using your carriers data or wifi when it gets hot? If you're using data, it could be getting hot when the connection is weak and cuts off and send the device into search.

This morning, I was underground in the train station here in NYC and had no connection except for some stops. I had to send some texts to my mom and sisters. I went from 100% to 92% within 10 minutes. Don't let your device search for signal, it will drain the bat life.

Yes this could be one of my problems. I am working in a place where i get poor signal receptions. I get a lot of "the page could not be loaded because there is no data connection" in chrome due to poor signal.

I will try to connect my phone to a mobile wifi and see if that has impact to the battery life.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Chrome seems pretty bad for me too. On h815 and Verizon version. Did multiple factory data reset and problem remains. Dolphin seems to work better.

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Stopped using Chrome along time ago, far to many issue's.

1)Slow Scrolling

2)Web page errors.

3)Freezes.

So I opt for two now and they are Firefox & Opera although Dolphin is decent to.

Posted via the Android Central App

bookspinner

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Yes this could be one of my problems. I am working in a place where i get poor signal receptions. I get a lot of "the page could not be loaded because there is no data connection" in chrome due to poor signal.

I will try to connect my phone to a mobile wifi and see if that has impact to the battery life.

So today I tried to connect my G4 to my mobile wifi when in office (poor reception) and used my carrier whenever I have good reception. Turned out I get much longer battery life and the device did not get as warm as before. Had around 15% of battery left before I charged it back.

QuickMemo+_2015-06-10-19-56-11.jpg
QuickMemo+_2015-06-10-19-56-22.jpg
QuickMemo+_2015-06-10-19-56-31.jpg

Guess I can't complain much about chrome though I think its power consumption can still be improved..

txsizzler

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Anytime that your phone (and with any phone or brand, for that matter) has to search for a signal, whether it be wifi or cellular, it will tear up your battery life. This gets amplified with the use of a browser, because it basically is cueing your phone to look for that signal even more often.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Anytime that your phone (and with any phone or brand, for that matter) has to search for a signal, whether it be wifi or cellular, it will tear up your battery life. This gets amplified with the use of a browser, because it basically is cueing your phone to look for that signal even more often.

I get the very same with Chrome and, today for example, I've been on wifi all day.
As someone mentioned above, I see it drop 1% every couple of minutes when browsing. I had it down to a defective screen, but chrome usage is huge.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I sent Chrome packing long ago...buh bye

I'm using CM browser now...totally fine for me and nowhere near a resource hog.

Kr0m

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Noticed the same with Chrome, I like it on my laptop, but it's too much of a pig on my phone.. Been using opera lately.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk