Chrome really sucks up my G4 battery life...

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I haven't put Dolphin or Firefox on this phone yet. One reason Is I use Chrome on my PC and like the fact that my searches and history transfer to the phone as well. Is there a way to have my Chrome PC searches and history transfer to Dolphin or Firefox? Maybe with a plug-in I'm not aware of?

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
thanks for pointing this out. My battery is lasting longer now, and Chrome was rarely in my top used app. Must have been using a lot of resources in the background.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
My go-to browser has been Boat for the last 2 years; the customizable menus are big plus. However, I'm thinking of trying out #nochromo for the ad blocking... nothing ruins a mobile browse more than an ad that is meant to be "usable" on a desktop but on a mobile phone makes is horrendous.

EDIT:
Interesting article here about #nochromo and ad blocking: http://liliputing.com/2015/06/googl...ndroid-nochromo-makes-an-ad-free-version.html I've tried to install the APK for both Arm32 and Arm64, but when I get to the install screen I can do the "next" link, but then the "install" link hangs... nothing happens. Anyone have clues about installing the #nochromo APK? I know about the security setting allowing non-Play APKs to install, so that's not the problem.

I also found a mention of adblock that can be used with Boat, but you have to manually start it after you launch the browser.

Does anyone else have experience with adblock plugins (non-root) for android? I'm going to (hopefully) install #nochromo, but I'm open to other options in case I find that the browser sucks.

Last edited:

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
My go-to browser has been Boat for the last 2 years; the customizable menus are big plus. However, I'm thinking of trying out #nochromo for the ad blocking... nothing ruins a mobile browse more than an ad that is meant to be "usable" on a desktop but on a mobile phone makes is horrendous.

EDIT:
Interesting article here about #nochromo and ad blocking: http://liliputing.com/2015/06/googl...ndroid-nochromo-makes-an-ad-free-version.html Also this post has a link to download #nochromo that should work on the G4, but I can't get the install to actually work: http://observationdeck.kinja.com/wednesday-android-update-nochromo-edition-1710453794 (I'm in the process of downloading the Arm64 version, and will try that out.)

I also found a mention of adblock that can be used with Boat, but you have to manually start it after you launch the browser.

Does anyone else have experience with adblock plugins (non-root) for android? I'm going to install #nochromo, but I'm open to other options in case I find that the browser sucks.

ARM 64 is the one you need for the G4. I've been using it since I found it on XDA not long after it was posted. I'm pretty happy with it and I find it much faster than Chrome Dev which I liked also. Not once have I seen #NoChromo run rogue and chew up battery. In fact even with 20+ pages on recent apps at any given time, I don't think I've seen it at more than 2 or 3% on battery stats at the end of the day.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
ARM 64 is the one you need for the G4. I've been using it since I found it on XDA not long after it was posted. I'm pretty happy with it and I find it much faster than Chrome Dev which I liked also. Not once have I seen #NoChromo run rogue and chew up battery. In fact even with 20+ pages on recent apps at any given time, I don't think I've seen it at more than 2 or 3% on battery stats at the end of the day.

When installing the arm64 apk, I get stuck on the install screen. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 1438879397665.jpg
    1438879397665.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 43

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
These are from the download site referenced in the xda thread.

Can you dropbox / google drive the apk you used and send me a link?

Actually, I just tried an apk I was able to previously install and I'm having the same problem... So the issue is not this particular apk.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
#NoChromo installed ok for me, though I seem to get sign-in requests sometimes when running it.

I've been trying CM Browser more than #NC, I suppose, but I'm generally just trying to use Chrome and Firefox less.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
#NoChromo installed ok for me, though I seem to get sign-in requests sometimes when running it.

I've been trying CM Browser more than #NC, I suppose, but I'm generally just trying to use Chrome and Firefox less.

The sign-in request was a tad bit annoying but I seemed to have answered all its requests, and now I've got #nochromo properly picking up my chrome history and "desktop" bookmarks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freyon77