09-11-2015 02:16 PM
50 12
tools
    I have owned the G4 for three days, the first two days were great, with around 4 hours of SOT. However today I only get two hours of SOT with around 10% battery left and found out that chrome was the one that used most of my batteries.

Is this behavior normal? I think if chrome really uses that much of my battery then I should switch to another browser (i.e stock browser). Thanks in advance!

Chrome really sucks up my G4 battery life...-quickmemo-_2015-06-09-16-20-56.jpg Chrome really sucks up my G4 battery life...-quickmemo-_2015-06-09-16-21-06.jpg Chrome really sucks up my G4 battery life...-quickmemo-_2015-06-09-16-20-22.jpg
    06-09-2015 10:33 AM
    It could be -- Was that your main usage? Browsing the web?
    06-09-2015 10:38 AM
    Try using chrome then do the same thing for the same amount of time with another browser. Use whichever uses less.

I havent had this issue with chrome though
    06-09-2015 10:40 AM
    I was doing some web browsing today just like what I did normally on my phone. I noticed today that the battery drains so fast and the phone gets very warm around the earpiece and the rear camera whenever I browse for a while. Is this an expected behavior?
    06-09-2015 10:43 AM
    I was doing some web browsing today just like what I did normally on my phone. I noticed today that the battery drains so fast and the phone gets very warm around the earpiece and the rear camera whenever I browse for a while. Is this an expected behavior?
    Not normal
    06-09-2015 10:45 AM
    Not normal
    Hmm don't think mine is defected, I will try using different browser and see the result. Thanks.
    06-09-2015 10:46 AM
    Same experice I'm having, basically can't access any Web page with Chrome if I want to save battery life, you can literally see draining about 1% each minute or 2 at most, simply absurd been the Default and only browser on the phone.

Just in case somebody would love to suggest me doing a Factory Reset, I already did it, just for that reason and nothing has changed same draining while using Chrome. And really don't like or want to use another browser, I've been set on it and using Chrome for years now in all my devices, laptops, PC, phones and tablets why changed this because of a phone? When I got my S6 edge I began using the Samsung's browser for a while, trying to do the same on my Tablet but even with some lags on this and other forums, Chrome was faster than the Samsung browser so I went back to Chrome.

Yesterday was atrocious like I posted in other thread, 3.5 Hours of SoT before I needed to recharge at 6%, most of my usage yesterday was just browsing this forum, as I normally do when using Chrome with my S6 edge and the long list of previous phones, none of them were as bad as this one while using it.

Today, the Battery life seems to be normal again (Same than on the weekend, still less than expected but at least seems normal) but I haven't even opened Chrome today with it, I'm just scared of it now...
    bookspinner likes this.
    06-09-2015 10:48 AM
    I have been noticing that chrome has been really glitchy since 5.1.1 was released. I'm actually moving to Dolphin now. The multiple screens could be part of it. You can fix that in the app info screen I think

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-09-2015 10:50 AM
    I find Chrome Dev to be much faster. I have at least 35-40 tabs open when i look at recent apps and don't have anything like that battery drain.
    06-09-2015 10:53 AM
    No. Are you using your carriers data or wifi when it gets hot? If you're using data, it could be getting hot when the connection is weak and cuts off and send the device into search.

This morning, I was underground in the train station here in NYC and had no connection except for some stops. I had to send some texts to my mom and sisters. I went from 100% to 92% within 10 minutes. Don't let your device search for signal, it will drain the bat life.
    Jason Stroud1 likes this.
    06-09-2015 10:59 AM
    No. Are you using your carriers data or wifi when it gets hot? If you're using data, it could be getting hot when the connection is weak and cuts off and send the device into search.

This morning, I was underground in the train station here in NYC and had no connection except for some stops. I had to send some texts to my mom and sisters. I went from 100% to 92% within 10 minutes. Don't let your device search for signal, it will drain the bat life.
    Yes this could be one of my problems. I am working in a place where i get poor signal receptions. I get a lot of "the page could not be loaded because there is no data connection" in chrome due to poor signal.

I will try to connect my phone to a mobile wifi and see if that has impact to the battery life.
    GrooveRite likes this.
    06-09-2015 11:16 AM
    Chrome seems pretty bad for me too. On h815 and Verizon version. Did multiple factory data reset and problem remains. Dolphin seems to work better.

Sent from my Verizon LG G4
    06-09-2015 07:40 PM
    Stopped using Chrome along time ago, far to many issue's.

1)Slow Scrolling

2)Web page errors.

3)Freezes.

So I opt for two now and they are Firefox & Opera although Dolphin is decent to.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-09-2015 07:42 PM
    Yes this could be one of my problems. I am working in a place where i get poor signal receptions. I get a lot of "the page could not be loaded because there is no data connection" in chrome due to poor signal.

I will try to connect my phone to a mobile wifi and see if that has impact to the battery life.
    So today I tried to connect my G4 to my mobile wifi when in office (poor reception) and used my carrier whenever I have good reception. Turned out I get much longer battery life and the device did not get as warm as before. Had around 15% of battery left before I charged it back.

Chrome really sucks up my G4 battery life...-quickmemo-_2015-06-10-19-56-11.jpg
    Chrome really sucks up my G4 battery life...-quickmemo-_2015-06-10-19-56-22.jpg
    Chrome really sucks up my G4 battery life...-quickmemo-_2015-06-10-19-56-31.jpg

Guess I can't complain much about chrome though I think its power consumption can still be improved..
    06-10-2015 08:46 AM
    Anytime that your phone (and with any phone or brand, for that matter) has to search for a signal, whether it be wifi or cellular, it will tear up your battery life. This gets amplified with the use of a browser, because it basically is cueing your phone to look for that signal even more often.
    GrooveRite likes this.
    06-10-2015 08:52 AM
    Anytime that your phone (and with any phone or brand, for that matter) has to search for a signal, whether it be wifi or cellular, it will tear up your battery life. This gets amplified with the use of a browser, because it basically is cueing your phone to look for that signal even more often.
    I get the very same with Chrome and, today for example, I've been on wifi all day.
    As someone mentioned above, I see it drop 1% every couple of minutes when browsing. I had it down to a defective screen, but chrome usage is huge.
    08-01-2015 04:06 PM
    Try chrome beta. It's been much better for me.
    08-01-2015 04:38 PM
    I sent Chrome packing long ago...buh bye

I'm using CM browser now...totally fine for me and nowhere near a resource hog.
    08-01-2015 08:52 PM
    #NoChromo
    JohnnyBroccoli likes this.
    08-01-2015 09:43 PM
    Noticed the same with Chrome, I like it on my laptop, but it's too much of a pig on my phone.. Been using opera lately.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    fsfty likes this.
    08-01-2015 10:05 PM
    I haven't put Dolphin or Firefox on this phone yet. One reason Is I use Chrome on my PC and like the fact that my searches and history transfer to the phone as well. Is there a way to have my Chrome PC searches and history transfer to Dolphin or Firefox? Maybe with a plug-in I'm not aware of?
    08-02-2015 11:49 AM
    +1 for chrome beta
    08-02-2015 12:30 PM
    thanks for pointing this out. My battery is lasting longer now, and Chrome was rarely in my top used app. Must have been using a lot of resources in the background.
    08-05-2015 01:37 PM
    My go-to browser has been Boat for the last 2 years; the customizable menus are big plus. However, I'm thinking of trying out #nochromo for the ad blocking... nothing ruins a mobile browse more than an ad that is meant to be "usable" on a desktop but on a mobile phone makes is horrendous.

EDIT:
    Interesting article here about #nochromo and ad blocking: http://liliputing.com/2015/06/google...e-version.html I've tried to install the APK for both Arm32 and Arm64, but when I get to the install screen I can do the "next" link, but then the "install" link hangs... nothing happens. Anyone have clues about installing the #nochromo APK? I know about the security setting allowing non-Play APKs to install, so that's not the problem.

I also found a mention of adblock that can be used with Boat, but you have to manually start it after you launch the browser.

Does anyone else have experience with adblock plugins (non-root) for android? I'm going to (hopefully) install #nochromo, but I'm open to other options in case I find that the browser sucks.
    08-06-2015 10:39 AM
    My go-to browser has been Boat for the last 2 years; the customizable menus are big plus. However, I'm thinking of trying out #nochromo for the ad blocking... nothing ruins a mobile browse more than an ad that is meant to be "usable" on a desktop but on a mobile phone makes is horrendous.

EDIT:
    Interesting article here about #nochromo and ad blocking: http://liliputing.com/2015/06/google...e-version.html Also this post has a link to download #nochromo that should work on the G4, but I can't get the install to actually work: http://observationdeck.kinja.com/wed...ion-1710453794 (I'm in the process of downloading the Arm64 version, and will try that out.)

I also found a mention of adblock that can be used with Boat, but you have to manually start it after you launch the browser.

Does anyone else have experience with adblock plugins (non-root) for android? I'm going to install #nochromo, but I'm open to other options in case I find that the browser sucks.
    ARM 64 is the one you need for the G4. I've been using it since I found it on XDA not long after it was posted. I'm pretty happy with it and I find it much faster than Chrome Dev which I liked also. Not once have I seen #NoChromo run rogue and chew up battery. In fact even with 20+ pages on recent apps at any given time, I don't think I've seen it at more than 2 or 3% on battery stats at the end of the day.
    08-06-2015 11:12 AM
50 12