1. The replaceable leather backs. They make this phone premium. Being able to have the different colors is frigging awesome.

2. The optimization of the 808 chipset. For not having the fastest chipset inside in the real world of usage it is perfectly matched with the phone.

3. The radio and GPS chips. Outstanding reception and tracking.

4. The UI. Many people complain about LG's implementation but I can honestly say that this is the longest running time I have used a stock launcher. Themes and icon packs straight from the manufacturer is great.

5. The screen. It's drop dead gorgeous. Yes I know LG has to tweak the automatic brightness setting, but I normally set my own and only turn it up in bright daylight outside when I need to. It's brighter than my previous phones were at 30-35%.

6. The much maligned rear facing speaker. I put mine up against my friends m8 and m9...this one is easily as loud. I don't know if AT&T did something with it but I can hear the difference between them and my g4 wins easily. Yes sound quality is better on the other HTC phones but for a speaker phone being able to hear in loud environments matters too.

7. The camera. What else can be said besides it's fantastic.

8. Build quality... Not normally many good things are said about a plastic phone these days it seems. Way too many people are hung up about this subject. I on the other hand actually like the plastic that is on the g4 sides and front. It isn't bad for plastic as compared to most other plastic phones. People want glass because of Apple and now Samsung and as far as I am concerned, Samsung did its best to copy the iPhone to get more sales. I come from the m8 and if I could have bought the Butterfly edition I would have because I prefer it to the metal edition. Not being able to swap out the backs because of designs means your stuck with it if it breaks or gets scratches on it... And 1 other reason...

9. Replaceable batteries... The benefits are a no brainer. Batteries fail.. Pop in a new and you're good to go.. Need a full charge.. Again pop in a new one and you're on your way.

10. I'll finish with a tie here... The SD card and this community... Both of which I can not do without.

Posted with my awesome LG g4
    06-09-2015 07:46 PM
    I pretty much share your insights Lg has done alot right with the G4 and the 808 was a good move.

Thanks for sharing dude :-)

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-09-2015 07:54 PM
    Great write-up. Couldn't have said it better myself!
    06-09-2015 07:56 PM
    Agree with everything but points 2 and 3.
    06-09-2015 09:20 PM
    Agree with everything but points 2 and 3.
    That's fine... If you are having problems.. Get them fixed or get a new phone. I posted my reasons for my phone on my carrier AT&T... YMMV if different.

06-09-2015 09:48 PM
    That's fine... If you are having problems.. Get them fixed or get a new phone. I posted my reasons for my phone on my carrier AT&T... YMMV if different.

Some issues may not be fixable (just depends on the issue). Remember not everyone is going to have your exact experience. That is definitely one thing I have learned about when it comes to phones.
    dpham00 likes this.
    06-09-2015 09:51 PM
    I only need One.

Leather back. LOL

SHIFT_g4
    06-09-2015 09:53 PM
    I was disappointed by the feel of the phone. Too light and thin made it feel fragile. With a tempered glass screen protector and an otter box commuter case, it has some heft to it..

Today with light usage, got 24 hours and have 85% battery remaining. Under my sons games, get 3-4 hours SOT.
    06-09-2015 09:58 PM

Not sure it would make any difference. I had both the h815 and Verizon versions. H815 was wifi only. Same overheat problems.

808 doesn't seem as optimized as the 805,imo. Yeah the 805 is older but I would be perfectly happy with a note 4 performance and battery life. S6e isn't as optimized as the 805 but still better than the 808,imo.

Radio isn't terrible but isn't as good as my s6e or note 4. Verizon. Drops to 3g more frequently than my other devices .
    06-09-2015 09:58 PM
    Enjoying my first day with it...

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
    06-09-2015 10:02 PM
    Some issues may not be fixable (just depends on the issue). Remember not everyone is going to have your exact experience. That is definitely one thing I have learned about when it comes to phones.
    Yup. I certainly wasn't disagreeing with the op's assessment, simply saying that my experience was different.
    06-09-2015 10:05 PM
    I disagree with #2 and #6. Samsung has the upper hand with the Exynos. That chip is just ridiculous. And while the rear speaker sounds good on the G4, the M9 is a miniature boombox. More volume doesn't necessarily mean better audio. The bass and mids are much more pronounced on the HTC flagship IMO.

I definitely agree with everything else though!
    06-09-2015 10:08 PM
    I know which is why I said get a new phone... It's unfortunate... But some times it even takes getting a new carrier...

06-09-2015 10:28 PM
    I don't agree with one point... while Samsung and Sony have some really fun theming available, the LG store themes all look like they were designed by a 9 year old girl...
    06-10-2015 12:24 AM
    As far as the auto brightness is concerned try it with the sider turned up to 100%.
    06-10-2015 12:52 AM
    1. Don't have that back, but I'd love to own one.
    2. The G3 didn't have the latest and greatest processor either and it still run great today.
    3. I haven't seen any difference between the G3 and the G4 in terms of signal or GPS.
    4. I love LG's UI. I've been a fan since the G2.
    5. I can't tell a difference between the G3 and 4's screens. It's great, but so was the G3 IMO.
    6. Speaker's fine for me. I use headsets. It's waaaaay better/louder/crisper than the new iPhone's speaker. I'm mean, it's not even close.
    7. Camera. OMG. I really liked the G3's camera until I got this phone in my hands, and I'm telling you, the camera is the best I've ever seen on any smartphone anywhere. It's perfect. Nephew graduated this past weekend. My wife put her Galaxy S5 down and grabbed the G4 to take pictures.
    8. Build's the same at the G3.
    9. Either G3 or 4 will get you the replaceable battery and SD Card, so that makes them both great options.

So, my opinion, you want the best? Get a G4. You want the second best on a budget? Get the G3. Either are great, just don't get a Sammy
    06-10-2015 07:55 AM
    1. Don't have that back, but I'd love to own one.
    2. The G3 didn't have the latest and greatest processor either and it still run great today.
    3. I haven't seen any difference between the G3 and the G4 in terms of signal or GPS.
    4. I love LG's UI. I've been a fan since the G2.
    5. I can't tell a difference between the G3 and 4's screens. It's great, but so was the G3 IMO.
    6. Speaker's fine for me. I use headsets. It's waaaaay better/louder/crisper than the new iPhone's speaker. I'm mean, it's not even close.
    7. Camera. OMG. I really liked the G3's camera until I got this phone in my hands, and I'm telling you, the camera is the best I've ever seen on any smartphone anywhere. It's perfect. Nephew graduated this past weekend. My wife put her Galaxy S5 down and grabbed the G4 to take pictures.
    8. Build's the same at the G3.
    9. Either G3 or 4 will get you the replaceable battery and SD Card, so that makes them both great options.

So, my opinion, you want the best? Get a G4. You want the second best on a budget? Get the G3. Either are great, just don't get a Sammy
    Nice...

I'm one of the new LG converts and since this is my first g series can only compare it to other phones.

This phone is the best phone I have ever owned, and I don't say that lightly or because I am justifying my purchase.

As pointed out to me that other people may not agree with my opinion, that's perfectly alright, they most certainly are entitled to their's, however their preferences don't negate mine.

There will always be others who dislike something hence comparing one device with another. That was not my only intention of posting this FWIW. I feel this phone even with the early issues some people are having is still a better choice for me over what is available now.

My son is wanting to make the move from his iPhone soon and not wanting to spend as much and the g3 looks to be a good choice. The only thing I am concerned about is the fact of he doesn't like to change devices often and how well the g3 will do in a couple of years..

06-10-2015 08:21 AM
    I was disappointed by the feel of the phone. Too light and thin made it feel fragile. With a tempered glass screen protector and an otter box commuter case, it has some heft to it..

Today with light usage, got 24 hours and have 85% battery remaining. Under my sons games, get 3-4 hours SOT.
    Just read this and I agree on the lightness. It's like a feather compared to my m8. I did add a glass screen protector too and I was pleased at the difference in feel it has given. No otter box for me though... I had one before and have to use one on my issued work phone and really dislike it. I'm leaving this one naked with the glass screen protector and using a PDair holster.

06-10-2015 08:27 AM
    ... My son is wanting to make the move from his iPhone soon and not wanting to spend as much and the g3 looks to be a good choice. The only thing I am concerned about is the fact of he doesn't like to change devices often and how well the g3 will do in a couple of years..

I'm still using my G2 and just got Lollipop from Verizon, so I'm thinking the G3 will be around for a few years with updates. Now, I don't expect to get Android M on my G2, but I think I'll probably still be using it as a hotspot in a year.

Now, the problem you might have is moving from 1 environment to another. He might not like the change. Just keep that in mind.

I carry an iPhone 6 Plus as my main phone and have the G2 that I use on weekends, so I'm in both environments and pretty much use Google to keep all my stuff in the cloud. And of course I have the G4 that I carry around just for this website
    06-10-2015 12:46 PM
    I'm still using my G2 and just got Lollipop from Verizon, so I'm thinking the G3 will be around for a few years with updates. Now, I don't expect to get Android M on my G2, but I think I'll probably still be using it as a hotspot in a year.

Now, the problem you might have is moving from 1 environment to another. He might not like the change. Just keep that in mind.

I carry an iPhone 6 Plus as my main phone and have the G2 that I use on weekends, so I'm in both environments and pretty much use Google to keep all my stuff in the cloud. And of course I have the G4 that I carry around just for this website
    Thanks..

He's been a iPhone user since the beginning and is just tired of it now. He has his Imac and Macbook but since he has graduated from college most of his friends are on Android and those who aren't he talks to on those.

I think the g3 should be a good choice since most of the bugs have been worked out and still has a ton of support going for it. I'll have him take a look at those forums and join up.

06-10-2015 12:55 PM
    Thanks..

He's been a iPhone user since the beginning and is just tired of it now. He has his Imac and Macbook but since he has graduated from college most of his friends are on Android and those who aren't he talks to on those.

I think the g3 should be a good choice since most of the bugs have been worked out and still has a ton of support going for it. I'll have him take a look at those forums and join up.

I could be wrong, but I doubt he'll be happy in Android land. The G3's a great phone and I personally loved it, but I did sell it so that I could buy an iPhone 6 Plus mainly because I live in the Mac environment with so many devices and the iPhone 6 Plus is an outstanding device. (Don't tell anyone I said that )
    06-10-2015 01:08 PM
    I could be wrong, but I doubt he'll be happy in Android land. The G3's a great phone and I personally loved it, but I did sell it so that I could buy an iPhone 6 Plus mainly because I live in the Mac environment with so many devices and the iPhone 6 Plus is an outstanding device. (Don't tell anyone I said that )
    I won't... Lol

He's really adamant about switching so he is the one to see how it goes. He's looked at my g4 a lot but just doesn't want to spend the $$$$ to get it. Even though he's on our plan... He's paying for it himself this time around which is why he's more concerned about the cost.

I just want him to get a good Android phone and not particularly a Samsung one... (chuckle)

06-10-2015 01:26 PM
    1. The replaceable leather backs. They make this phone premium. Being able to have the different colors is frigging awesome.

2. The optimization of the 808 chipset. For not having the fastest chipset inside in the real world of usage it is perfectly matched with the phone.

3. The radio and GPS chips. Outstanding reception and tracking.

4. The UI. Many people complain about LG's implementation but I can honestly say that this is the longest running time I have used a stock launcher. Themes and icon packs straight from the manufacturer is great.

5. The screen. It's drop dead gorgeous. Yes I know LG has to tweak the automatic brightness setting, but I normally set my own and only turn it up in bright daylight outside when I need to. It's brighter than my previous phones were at 30-35%.

6. The much maligned rear facing speaker. I put mine up against my friends m8 and m9...this one is easily as loud. I don't know if AT&T did something with it but I can hear the difference between them and my g4 wins easily. Yes sound quality is better on the other HTC phones but for a speaker phone being able to hear in loud environments matters too.

7. The camera. What else can be said besides it's fantastic.

8. Build quality... Not normally many good things are said about a plastic phone these days it seems. Way too many people are hung up about this subject. I on the other hand actually like the plastic that is on the g4 sides and front. It isn't bad for plastic as compared to most other plastic phones. People want glass because of Apple and now Samsung and as far as I am concerned, Samsung did its best to copy the iPhone to get more sales. I come from the m8 and if I could have bought the Butterfly edition I would have because I prefer it to the metal edition. Not being able to swap out the backs because of designs means your stuck with it if it breaks or gets scratches on it... And 1 other reason...

9. Replaceable batteries... The benefits are a no brainer. Batteries fail.. Pop in a new and you're good to go.. Need a full charge.. Again pop in a new one and you're on your way.

10. I'll finish with a tie here... The SD card and this community... Both of which I can not do without.

I agree with everything but #1 ... because i dont have the leather back lol
    06-10-2015 02:05 PM
    Thanks..

Same thing with my 19 yo. It just works,and all his friends are on imessage and he has a Mac.
    Its why I buy stock in apple,that generation seems locked in the ecosystem. Ip6 is not easy to find refurb and discounted right now either.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
    06-10-2015 02:22 PM
    LOVE the camera! I have dumped all others and am just using this one.
    06-11-2015 12:30 PM