I'm looking at seven hours total (screen on and off) today after a full charge (surprisingly at more than three hours of screen time).

Not sure if I'm just spoiled after having used a 6000 mAh extended battery for my G3, but this is definitely worse than I remember with the stock 3000 mAh on my G3. Before, on my G3, I'd average anywhere between 3 and 5 hours of SOT and sometimes would even get closer to 6. Even at that numbers, I'm pretty sure my total usage was a lot better than what I'm getting on the G4.

Under battery usage, nothing seems unusual (other than the poor usage time). Screen currently sits at 27% (my G3 was usually around 50+% here), Play Services is next at 10%, Android OS following at 9%, then others. Based on usage alone, I feel like I should be getting way better battery life.

Any tips? Is it my battery? Do you think it's my phone? I've already done one factory reset.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
    06-09-2015 11:44 PM
    Before, on my G3, I'd average anywhere between 3 and 5 hours of SOT and sometimes would even get closer to 6.
    That's unusual for an Android phone with a stock battery.

Screen currently sits at 27% (my G3 was usually around 50+% here), Play Services is next at 10%, Android OS following at 9%
    Something is eating battery - those last 2 are VERY low, so something else is using a LOT of battery (like 54% of the total usage).

Any tips? Is it my battery? Do you think it's my phone? I've already done one factory reset.
    I'd run Greenify to see if it helped (don't greenify things you want running when you don't tell them to run, like Phone, your email app if you want to receive emails without running the app, etc.)

Also look at your battery screen and tap the graph at the top. You should get a page with another graph. Look at the mobile signal strength line (a weak signal eats a lot of battery, no signal at all can kill it quickly) and the Awake line. The phone should pretty much be asleep when the screen id off. (There may be a few very thin wakelock lines when the screen is off, but I've seen phones with a solid Awake line - meaning that something was basically sitting there eating battery for no reason - usually an app that shouldn't be running or a corrupt app.)

The battery wouldn't be doing that unless it's been badly abused for a while (never discharge it past 40% if you can avoid it). If it suddenly dropped to 0 and reset or turned the phone off while there was still plenty of charge it would be a defective battery. (And that defect can occur before LG gets the battery, and they'll never find it in normal testing.) But just a full charge draining too quickly - I doubt it's the fault of a new battery.

It's possible that it's a defective phone, but between a weak signal and apps that shouldn't be running, that probably covers 99% of situations like yours, so I'd look to them first. (An antenna that's not properly connected would cause a weak signal, so that would be the phone, but you'd see it as a weak signal on that screen.)
    06-10-2015 12:04 AM
    The screen chews my battery up! Even with auto brightness on. Last night I was surfing and losing about 1% per minute.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-10-2015 06:26 AM
    I'd run Greenify to see if it helped (don't greenify things you want running when you don't tell them to run, like Phone, your email app if you want to receive emails without running the app, etc.)
    I do use Greenify. I went ahead and added a few more things to my greenified list so we'll see if that makes a difference. Since we're limited to only using non-root mode for the time being, am I going to have to actively remember to Greenify apps?

Also look at your battery screen and tap the graph at the top. You should get a page with another graph. Look at the mobile signal strength line (a weak signal eats a lot of battery, no signal at all can kill it quickly) and the Awake line. The phone should pretty much be asleep when the screen id off. (There may be a few very thin wakelock lines when the screen is off, but I've seen phones with a solid Awake line - meaning that something was basically sitting there eating battery for no reason - usually an app that shouldn't be running or a corrupt app.)
    I don't seem to have that signal usage screen on my G4 unless I'm doing something wrong. I only get the graph that shows when the phone was unplugged and its estimated time of full drainage. Any other way to check? Just by looking at the bars on the screen, my signal is typically decent or better. There are areas where I just have poor data speeds, but still full bars.

It's possible that it's a defective phone, but between a weak signal and apps that shouldn't be running, that probably covers 99% of situations like yours, so I'd look to them first. (An antenna that's not properly connected would cause a weak signal, so that would be the phone, but you'd see it as a weak signal on that screen.)
    With the battery usage screen not really showing anything unusual, what other ways are there to check for apps killing my battery? I never really used battery use monitoring apps in the past because I never really had a need. Good time to try one out, I suppose.

And thanks for your informative reply!
    clborden likes this.
    06-10-2015 11:05 AM