Galaxy Note 10 Deal: BOGO at Verizon!
    In Developer Options I have "USB debugging" enabled. I then connect my G4 to my laptop but as soon as my device gets connected the "USB debugging" turns gray (disabled). Why does it get disabled when I connect it to the laptop? I have posted two screenshots, in the first one the device is not connected. In the second one it is connected and as you can see the option turns grey and disables itself. USB PC connection is set to Media device (MTP). Any ideas as to why this happens?
    Attached Thumbnails USB Debugging Issue-not-connected-mac.jpg   USB Debugging Issue-connected-mac-option-gray-.jpg  
    06-10-2015 08:00 AM
    In Developer Options I have "USB debugging" enabled. I then connect my G4 to my laptop but as soon as my device gets connected the "USB debugging" turns gray (disabled). Why does it get disabled when I connect it to the laptop? I have posted two screenshots, in the first one the device is not connected. In the second one it is connected and as you can see the option turns grey and disables itself. USB PC connection is set to Media device (MTP). Any ideas as to why this happens?
    Dont think it is disabled. You cant turn it off while connected.
    06-10-2015 08:06 AM
    Dont think it is disabled. You cant turn it off while connected.
    No it does get disabled. The option should not turn gray. But as soon as I connect the device it turns grey and gets debugging turns off even though the box is still checked.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    06-10-2015 08:07 AM
    http://android.stackexchange.com/que...onnect-to-a-pc

I don't know what he did to fix it. Can anyone explain please? Seems like the exact same issue I have.

06-10-2015 08:12 AM
    No it does get disabled. The option should not turn gray. But as soon as I connect the device it turns grey and gets debugging turns off even though the box is still checked.
    From your screenshot, it shows that USB debugging is enabled (the checkbox is selected). This is expected behavior and there is nothing wrong. You can not enable or disable USB debugging while you have the device connected by USB.

From your screenshot, it shows that USB debugging is enabled (the checkbox is selected). That is expected behavior. You can not enable or disable USB debugging while the device is connecting using USB.
    06-10-2015 08:52 AM
    Guys please. I know that USB Debugging is enabled in the first screenshot. This is with the device disconnected. However, when I connect my G4 to my laptop, the USB Debugging option grays out and this should not happen. It should not turn gray. It should look like the first screenshot. When I connect my G4 and the option turns gray this for some reason turns off debugging even though the check mark is still there.

Can someone try this out? Enter developer mode and you'll find this USB Debugging option, enable it, then connect your device to your laptop, choose MTP for USB connection. Does the USB Debugging turn gray as soon as you connect your device?

06-10-2015 09:16 AM
    See, it says No Devices Detected.
    Attached Thumbnails USB Debugging Issue-screen-shot-2015-06-10-6.27.33-pm.jpg  
    06-10-2015 09:29 AM
    In your second screen shot there in an icon in your notification shade of a little Android/bug guy. That means that USB debugging is connected (hence why the Android looks like a bug, get it? Lol Google is cute sometimes). I imagine the check box greys out because it's plugged in and connected.

If the computer won't recognize that USB debugging is connected then you probably need to install a driver.
    06-10-2015 10:54 AM
    I did it!! After installing Android SDK tools, SDK Manager, and a few packages and drivers including LG Android USB drivers, my laptop finally detects my G4. Took me hours but I'm glad I figured it out in the end. Thank you everyone for taking the time!

USB Debugging Issue-imageuploadedbytapatalk1433957974.828828.jpg
    lrrowley likes this.
    06-10-2015 12:40 PM
    That's awesome! I always have the hardest time installing drivers, especially the ones for ADB/Fastboot

I did it!! After installing Android SDK tools, SDK Manager, and a few packages and drivers including LG Android USB drivers, my laptop finally detects my G4. Took me hours but I'm glad I figured it out in the end. Thank you everyone for taking the time!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433957974.828828.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	180874
    Gazella likes this.
    06-11-2015 12:28 AM
    Could you please be VERY specific. I have a similar problem that was NOT solved by installing the default LG drivers. What are SDK tools or Manager? Did you have to root the phone?
    Thanks,
    Ellen
    06-16-2015 12:17 AM
    I had same problem with LG G4 (lollipop) and Mac OSX (10.10.5). When I connected the phone to the Mac, with USB debugging enabled, I could not detect the phone with "adb devices".

The answer is in the USB connection setting. In Charge-only or MTP mode, I could not access the phone. But in PTP mode, it works. The first indication is that when USB debugging is working, you get the permission dialogue, to allow access from this computer.

Note that in all cases - Charge-only, MTP and PTP - the USB debugging option of Developer settings is Greyed out while the phone is connected. The grey state doesn't indicate whether debugging is working.

Also note that the Mac doesn't need any USB drivers.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    09-21-2015 11:01 PM
    I had the same problem with a Verizon G4. What finally ended up working was enabling usb debugging (similar to OP's first screen capture), then plugging the phone into the computer. It briefly shows up as a CD drive. Open it and then open the Tools folder. There should be an *.exe file there that's titled something like "LG VZW United WHQL". Double click and run that *.exe file (you have to be fairly quick before the phone reverts to not showing up as a CD drive) and it should install some additional drivers. This helped me get Helium running. Hope this helps.
    09-24-2015 03:04 PM
    Same issue with my Verizon Wireless LG GPad 8.3 VK810 Tablet

Thank you
    &
    God bless,
    Scorpio2177
    Attached Thumbnails USB Debugging Issue-35209.jpg  
    10-01-2015 02:09 PM
    Windows should be able to install drivers by itself. But it downloads only after turning on PTP mode.
    10-01-2015 03:19 PM
    Hello I have the same issue,
    Where can i download android sdk tools, and sdk manager, also the android usd driver.
    Can someone help me how to do it
    Thanks
    10-03-2015 08:25 AM
    have problem with my lg g4 stylus my otg doesn't work ive already enable my usb debuging mode ..
    10-21-2015 05:56 AM
    I got the same issue, I finally managed to solve this by installing the official USB driver from LG to get this works.

Since my LG G4 was origin from Taiwan, I went to lg.com/tw to search my G4 model (H815) and downloaded the " LG MOBILE SUPPORT TOOL"
    Then, follow the instructions, and you will get prompt to install the driver on both PC and LG G4.
    After that, the " LG MOBILE SUPPORT TOOL" is able to recognize your device. This means it is all good now. Enjoy!
    10-22-2015 08:05 AM
    can u please tell me what did you install and download? i have the same problem as yours. cant root my phone because of this problem. lg g4 stylus. thanks
    01-20-2016 04:32 AM
    Can you please post the link for drivers?

Thank you
    01-09-2017 10:21 AM
    Had the same issue with grayed out and where allow debugging + hex popup would not appear, but seemed to resolve itself and FINALLY appear after going from MTP to PTP in the Select USB Configuration panel.
    07-31-2019 10:51 AM