06-11-2015 09:50 AM
68 123
tools
    After a few days with this phone I must say that the honeymoon is over. I have surely learned a lesson not to get too excited about an android phone without giving it at least a week of use.
    After a week of use I can say that my rating of this phone has diminished severely for the following:
    Lag - This phone lags in almost every operation you perform on it. Sometimes the home screen takes seconds to redraw, the keyboard gets stuck on the home screen and moving through apps isn't smoothly transitioned but flickers. These are some of the same things I experienced with the S6.
    Battery - The battery life on this thing sucks and for anyone to claim they are getting 20+ hours of battery with 5hrs of SOT is a flat out lie. I also think that LG is being deceitful with battery calculations as it can take the phone upwards of 30 minutes to discharge from 100% to 99% and after the discharge occurs the battery literally drops down by 1% every minute.
    Yesterday I charged my battery to 52% at 545pm and it was down to 5% by 9pm. All I did was us gps for 18 minutes and the rest was history. It also a shame that if I use the screen above 60% brightness I'd only get approximately 2.5hrs of SOT. I am afraid to allow the phone to reach 60% without being close to a charger because once at that level the phone just constantly drains. The most time I'll get out of a 60% charge is 1.5hrs of SOT at best. For all of the "factory reset" people out there, I should NOT have to continue to reset my phone and lose all of my data and then go through the lengthy process of restoring so this is not an option. Especially when 99% of the time a "factory reset" doesn't work. The bottom line is that these manufactures just can't match what Apple does. Android shouldn't need 8 core processors just to make the experience fast and smooth as it makes for poor battery life.
    I've tried the M9, S6 and now the g4 and the experience has been very poor. I think its time to give IOS a chance after several years of giving this a chance.
    mtva24 likes this.
    06-10-2015 08:18 AM
    Sorry to hear about that experience. I have seen the lag thing reported a few times, seems to be hit or miss for some users. Personally I don't have that.

As for battery, I haven't used it much the past few days I will admit, but right now I sit at 28 hours off the charger, 2.75 hours of screen on time, and 45% battery life. For me, the battery is no issue.
    manup456 and Jhelum B like this.
    06-10-2015 08:23 AM
    Your battery life experience sounds like you have something running in the background preventing your phone from sleeping. I'd suggest using gSam battery monitor to see what's draining it.
    Jhelum B and sswitzer like this.
    06-10-2015 08:25 AM
    Sorry to hear of your bad experience. However, you are largely the minority when it comes to the issues you spoke of. I haven't experienced really anything you have said, and most folks here from what i have read, are experiencing quite the opposite of your issues.

Perhaps you got a lemon? I would return your phone and try another one. Based on what you posted, though, it seems like its more than just the G4 thats a problem for you; you seem down on the Android experience altogether. If thats the case, please don't just dog this phone; making a statement about Android devices in general would be more prudent. Perhaps iOS would be better for your specific needs. Just prioritize your needs in a phone, and go from there.
    ffejjj, blessedred, erwaso and 2 others like this.
    06-10-2015 08:29 AM
    I use it..nothing running..its simply a poor product in the battery department

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-10-2015 08:29 AM
    As efferyj points out, what have you done to try to determine root cause of battery drain?

GSam is a good choice to start.

Another tool I use is CPU Spy. It will show you what CPU states your phone is using. Sounds like your phone is not "sleeping" at all.

Another tool I use is OS Monitor. This will show you what is running and how much CPU and memory it is consuming (along with a lot more).
    06-10-2015 08:30 AM
    I am not a liar and I don't have any of those issues. Mine has no lag issues and I am satisfied with the battery.

I did turn on battery saver in the location services section to prevent the phone from sending my location to every site that asked for it. I also noticed that google app does not always disconnect after use. I read elsewhere that uninstalling the upgrades to google and reinstalling would often appear to improve the situation so I tried it and it seems to have helped.

This seems to be a common problem in Android and particularly with Lollypop. Google continues to say they are working on it.

This phone seems to be pretty good for a 3000 ma battery.
    Jhelum B likes this.
    06-10-2015 08:53 AM
    I know you are upset, but ranting about your issues without actually trying to figure out what is CAUSING them doesn't help you solve them.

You either have a rogue app which isn't allowing your phone to sleep, or you have a defective device.

Also, don't call someone else a liar because their G4 works as advertised and yours doesn't.
    Inders99 likes this.
    06-10-2015 08:54 AM
    There are no bad apps

Attached Thumbnails LG G4 - The Honeymoon is over!!-2297.jpg  
    06-10-2015 08:59 AM
    Just curious.. What carrier do you use, and what kind of reception are you getting, truthteller? Do you ever frequent places with poor reception? Do you leave wifi on all the time? What about Bluetooth ?
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    06-10-2015 08:59 AM
    You don't need to give us any excuses for wanting an iPhone. It's not a crime. Just get one! They are nice phones.
    Oofa, Jhelum B, imnjs and 5 others like this.
    06-10-2015 09:17 AM
    I am on Tmobile and I live and huge Houston area. I frequently get download speeds of 20mps or more. I'm rarely located in a bad area.

Just curious.. What carrier do you use, and what kind of reception are you getting, truthteller? Do you ever frequent places with poor reception? Do you leave wifi on all the time? What about Bluetooth ?
    06-10-2015 09:19 AM
    You don't need to give us any excuses for wanting an iPhone. It's not a crime. Just get one! They are nice phones.
    Agree, they are very nice. I love my 6 plus. However, use one long enough and its just as easy to find things that annoy you as it is on any android device. Such as everytime you send the browser to the background and open it up it refreshes and sometimes even when just switching between browser tabs. iOS is always just "almost there" for me but for one reason or another I keep ending up back with Android.
    Jhelum B and brewzer like this.
    06-10-2015 09:23 AM
    I am on Tmobile and I live and huge Houston area. I frequently get download speeds of 20mps or more. I'm rarely located in a bad area.
    Is band 12 fully deployed in Houston? Your device may be trying to hold onto LTE with a higher frequency (weaker) signal while inside buildings versus in an area with band 12 which easily penetrates buildings it would switch over to that. One thing to consider since you are with T-Mobile is the iPhone does not yet have band 12 compatibility. I'm sure it will come on the 6S or whatever they call it later this year.
    06-10-2015 09:25 AM

I don't know what is happening with your G4 then. The battery is working great for me. I listened to music for almost 8 hours straight tonight via Bluetooth and some light Internet use. My battery took 5 - 6 hours to drop to the 30s, which is amazing compared to my Nexus 5. I typically use my portable charger once compared to 2.5 times.

06-10-2015 09:26 AM
    Here's my stats today

[/URL]

Posted with my awesome LG g4
    tardus, Jhelum B and sswitzer like this.
    06-10-2015 09:32 AM
    It's funny - I'm no Android apologist as I've always ended up experiencing lag & overheating issues w/ the various Android phones I've used. That said I still can't get over OP's tone. I feel Windows Phone is smoother in general than Android, but to call people liars if they don't agree with me is something else. I think he is either straight-up trolling or somebody[language removed by mod] in his Wheaties and he's having a bad day/week. FWIW I did a factory reset on my Xperia Z1s last week and it improved things so much that I can both defer my purchase of the G4 which I've been lusting over and have renewed faith in Android.
    gaddang2, tardus, Jonneh and 1 others like this.
    06-10-2015 09:34 AM
    Nice battery stats. Cant wait for my G4.
    sswitzer likes this.
    06-10-2015 09:36 AM

There is ALWAYS something running even if you didn't initiate it.
    06-10-2015 09:39 AM
    I fully understand that some people are having issues... It's unfortunate but expected.

Android isn't perfect by no means but if folks truly want to fix issues (like the OP) they have to at least try for crying out loud otherwise to me that is just wanting to slam the phone.

Posted with my awesome LG g4
    06-10-2015 09:41 AM
    Keep in mind that one can easily plug the phone up for a charge and it not be shown in the actual battery stats. Folks used to do this with the Palm Pre all the time.

06-10-2015 09:43 AM
    Your battery life experience sounds like you have something running in the background preventing your phone from sleeping. I'd suggest using gSam battery monitor to see what's draining it.
    Excellent suggestion... I just installed it, and the interface makes battery monitoring and management a breeze.
    06-10-2015 09:48 AM
    Excellent suggestion... I just installed it, and the interface makes battery monitoring and management a breeze.
    It looks good!
    sswitzer likes this.
    06-10-2015 09:51 AM
    It seems your on a quest to get a following based on *your" experience.

This is NOT going to happen, not disputing you may have issue's but they are very clearly not applicable to all devices.

Many people here have been supportive and quite accommodating.

Einstein's definition of insanity is repeating the same things over and over again expecting different results.

Mikey47 likes this.
    06-10-2015 09:52 AM
    Keep in mind that one can easily plug the phone up for a charge and it not be shown in the actual battery stats. Folks used to do this with the Palm Pre all the time.
    I kind of agree here, 4.5 screen on time at 9:30 am? And 22 hours on battery? I've had this phone since last Monday and I never got close to that with 41% battery life left. I would like to see the rest of that graph. You can put it in landscape mode and scroll left and right to show all of it.
    I love this phone and all and it does have it's issues, but I'm hoping most of this stuff will get resolved soon because I want to keep it.
    06-10-2015 09:53 AM
68 123