Summary of the troubles people are having with the new G4

Nipun Hazra

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Let's be clear. G4 is an awesome device. But it's still kindof in the pre-production phage, don't you think? It's not even available 10 countries in the world. Anyway many of who have already bought LG G4, are actually migrated from another smartphone branding either HTC, Samsung, Nexus, Apple etc. And the youtubers contributed a lot in this publicity for LG. I hardly found anyone said any bad thing about G4, neither about it's battery life nor performance in those videos or reviews. But these two have become the most concerning area as well as disappointment for many of the users right now. I, myself also have been suffering with a few issues. I have already changed one device. Coming from XDA forum, here I will try my best to summarize all the problems people are facing with their G4 & also my observation on that matter from my personal experience as well as gathered knowledge from almost all the forums in XDA:

1. MISSED TAP:
Almost all users reporting that G4 missing many taps to recognize.

My observation:
Well, I have also experienced a few missed taps. But what I think it's not a LCD issue, rather less optimization/smoothness issue of the G4 ROM. How do I know? Well I switched on the touch sound. And every tap I did, including the missed ones, there was tapping sound. Even I tested in the manual testing, nothing reported like that. And even after formatting, symptoms reduced for some. But surely it's very annoying.
Oh one thing about knock codes, I found LG LCD doesn't response to gentlest touches sometimes. You need to press slightly a bit more. Fact to be considered : I am still using the provided plastic protector.

2. LAGGING ISSUE:
There is stuttering here and there in G4, not only in the stock launcher but also in the whole system.

My observations:
No doubt G4 lags. You will notice less smoothness / sluggishness while sliding any page up & down in chrome, youtube, Google plus or anything. It is not "butter smooth" like some other OEMs for most of the users. But switching to Nova, turning off smart bulletin & dual window helped to some extent, but not completely.

3. BATTERY LIFE:
Many of the moderate to heavy users complaining about quick battery drainage with low to medium brightness.

My observations:
LG said many things about their battery life of G4 in their announcement party and many well-known youtubers also said very much positive things about G4's battery life i.e. it can easily last a day which raised up the expectation bar of many users. But the real scenario is quite not like that. Most of the medium to heavy users are getting average 3 - 4.5 hours SOT with keeping screen brightness low to medium which is not at all the way LG mentioned. It seems like LG is providing that extra battery knowing the fact that you will need to put on that extra one at the middle of the day for sure. Anyway, what I found is: G4's stand-by time is OUTSTANDING. Don't turn on that screen much, only receive a few calls, you can pass a decade (not literally) with a single charge. But turn on that screen, do browse, chat, Facebooking or Youtubing or anything keeping that overkill screen on, you will hardly pass 5 hours maximum. Raise the brightness a bit more, like 75-100%, brother, you are doomed. Your G4 will die within hours. For some, turning off auto brightness & keeping the brightness below 50% all the time, turning off fast-dormency, turning off GPS, using Greenify helped a bit. Anyway, my point is that awesome-bright-vivid-overkill screen is actually the curse for the G4 at present if LG doesn't bring up some solutions for it. What's the point if you can not enjoy the juice of a fruit which is known to be the tastiest of them all???

4. HEATING & SLOW CHARGING ISSUE:
Very limited people including mine are complaining of frequent, not consistent, heating up issue of the phone as well as slow charging.

My observations:
Many factors can be responsible for this. Some people find this scenario happening once a day, for some once in two days and these two issues are interconnected in my opinion. What can heat up the phone? May be some hidden apps, maybe weather, maybe some other things, but surely it does for some. Yah we have seen in all the reviews that G4 warms up a bit, but not very much. But the people who are complaining about it, found it uncomfortable to speak touching the phone to the face. I will attach a screenshot here, in which my phone was completely idle, was on charge, no phone call came & my phone got heat up to 42 degrees & it took almost 5 hours to charge from 20 - 100%. Again I am saying this is not a consistent scenario, but it's frustrating for some including mine.

5. OTHER ISSUES:
These are some random issues found by some people:
a) White sparking light in the screen.
b) Yellow tint on screen.
c) Bad bluetooth audio.
d) Wifi speed problem.
e) Helium app doesn't work properly.
f) Nova launcher cannot install properly.
g) Vibration too soft.
h) Auto brightness inconsistancy.

So guys, if you have read it and if you are one of those renowned youtubers or columnists or bloggers whom LG guys follow on regular basis, please make an article or video about it, spread these information and let the LG guys know about these so that they can do something about it. I personally believe, software update can solve 95% of the issues. So be it.
Thanks for your patience to read my post.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• PicsArt_1433865348570.jpg
    PicsArt_1433865348570.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 335

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
It is a drag that there are issues with it, but I have never seen any smartphone release that hasn't had issues on all platforms.

Posted with my awesome LG g4

Nipun Hazra

May 17, 2015
Visit site
It is a drag that there are issues with it, but I have never seen any smartphone release that hasn't had issues on all platforms.

But hype with G4 was too high. Plus you see OEMs like HTC, Samsung, Apple they address very frequently if people have issues with their devices in social media at least so that people knows that yah, their OEM is concerned about it. That's a big relief for many. But LG is not showing any sign of it till now. :-(

gaddang2

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Something is probably wrong with my phone since I have none of those issues you posted except the missing features Verizon took off. Oh well, I guess Ill have to live with it.

Posted via my Verizon Ceramic White LG G4

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
This phone does have some issues but I can't recall a phone in recent memory that has been so almost universally loved by the forum.

I love my G4 :D

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
But hype with G4 was too high. Plus you see OEMs like HTC, Samsung, Apple they address very frequently if people have issues with their devices in social media at least so that people knows that yah, their OEM is concerned about it. That's a big relief for many. But LG is not showing any sign of it till now. :-(

Really... How do you figure?

AT&T Sprint and T-Mobile has released updates and the phone just came out... 2weeks ago ?

Hype is high on all Flagship phones and for the g4 has put updates quicker than any other phone from any OEM so I really don't understand what you are saying here

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Same old problem list... You can literally put this in the general section and say applies to all phones. Show me one flagship forum where users aren't complaining about the issues you mentioned.

Nipun Hazra

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Really... How do you figure?

AT&T Sprint and T-Mobile has released updates and the phone just came out... 2weeks ago ?

Hype is high on all Flagship phones and for the g4 has put updates quicker than any other phone from any OEM so I really don't understand what you are saying here

And what are those updates' changelogs say can u please elaborate?

mtva24

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Pulled my M9 from the bench yesterday, and wow, do I miss the snappiness of sense. Also got 4 hrs SOT without trying. the most I have achieve on the G4 since owning it is 3h 30 mins, and that is on wi-fi with brightness turned down to 75%. Back on my G4 today and it just feels sluggish. My G4 phone was free, so I will be keeping it while I patiently await root!

L0N35T4R

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Same old problem list... You can literally put this in the general section and say applies to all phones. Show me one flagship forum where users aren't complaining about the issues you mentioned.

The battery life on my wife's Note 4 is pretty impressive!

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Pulled my M9 from the bench yesterday, and wow, do I miss the snappiness of sense. Also got 4 hrs SOT without trying. the most I have achieve on the G4 since owning it is 3h 30 mins, and that is on wi-fi with brightness turned down to 75%. Back on my G4 today and it just feels sluggish. My G4 phone was free, so I will be keeping it while I patiently await root!

Just mentioned this elsewhere in this sub. HTC remains the one to beat when it comes to its software imho.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
And what are those updates' changelogs say can u please elaborate?

I wish I could but as you are well aware of none have been posted.

From those who have the updates the touch issue is dimished or eliminated.. I know my screen is much more responsive today than as new on At&t since the small update.. And T-mobile is getting a much larger one 176mb vs 26mb at At&t.

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
1. Missed Tap (check)
2. Lagging Issue (check)
3. Battery Life (check)
4. Heating & Slow charging (check)
5. Other issues:
g. Vibration soft, only noticeable if I'm expecting a reply.
h. Auto brightness (check)

Most of these are inconsistent, but exist and becoming more frustrating each day.

The lag issue is horrible when it happens. I had it with stock alarm clock.
Completely unresponsive as I tried to hit Dismiss or Snooze. What a place to
freeze and be forced to listen to Good Morning song.

I restart the device several times a day hoping to clear up lagging issues, but they keep returning.

Netflix app went into demonic possession mode last night. Can't even begin to describe it,
other than sections of the screen were bouncing around. Had to close and restart 3 times
before getting the selection to cast to tv.

I also have noticed Handcent led notification not working. This is a Handcent issue,
changed apps and other app works fine with led notifications.

Delayed lock works as expected on my work wifi, but inconsistent on my home wifi.

Lastpass with Yubikey Neo is inconsistent.

The only thing keeping me from returning and switching to another phone is the sd card.
Sure hope these get worked out soon!

----------------
LG G4, Verizon

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
The missed tap is the only issue I'm having but it varies on an app by app basis sometimes. LG told me to use quick memo and draw vertical and horizontal lines on it. If there are any gaps present than its a touch screen issue. I haven't had any gaps yet and I've done it maybe 5 times. So that puts me at ease that it is more software than hardware related.

L0N35T4R

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Really? There are users who complain of slow charging?? Had no idea. My G4 charges lightning fast!

At work, plugging the cable that came with the phone into my computer, I'll actually still drain battery while using my phone even though it's charging. I'm thinking about getting a real charger for my desk

imnjs

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Yeah not sure what the deal is with standard chargers. I'll play a game for about 30 minutes and it'll only have charged 1-2% that whole time. Quick chargers on the other hand, holy heck it's fast.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
At work, plugging the cable that came with the phone into my computer, I'll actually still drain battery while using my phone even though it's charging. I'm thinking about getting a real charger for my desk

The USB port on your computer doesn't have enough juice to charge it while you are using it. If you let it sit unused it will charge, but very, very slowly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1