Costco "Excellence Plus" ?

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone have experience with their mobile protection plan?

I'm in Canada and Bell's SPC is $10/month and the deductible is $250 for a replacement... Costco is $100 (for 2 years of coverage) to purchase the plan and only $50 for a replacement.

The only plus side to the Bell plan is that they would cover lost/stolen phone, while Costco wouldn't.

My main reason for getting an insurance plan is to help out if my screen shatters (something I had happen once).

Last edited:

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Costco "Excellence Plus"?

I'm in Canada and Bell's SPC is $10/month and the deductible is $250 for a replacement... Costco is $100 (for 2 years of coverage) to purchase the plan and only $50 for a replacement.

The only plus side to the Bell plan is that they would cover lost/stolen phone, while Costco wouldn't.

My main reason for getting an insurance plan is to help out if my screen shatters (something I had happen once).

No direct experience but if its anything like their return policy, I would guess its top notch. Their terms sound pretty close to Sqauretrade ($99/2 years/$75 deductible) but I don't think thats an option for you in Canada?

I have been using Protect Your Bubble that last couple of years. For the G4 I'm paying 4.99/month, $50 deductible, no coverage for Loss or Stolen but thats fine. I know they are availabe in US and England, not sure about Canada.

L0N35T4R

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

Is your Costco selling the phone? I was waiting on mine to in Texas but got tired of waiting. They normally eat the taxes and include a $25 cash card

Posted via the Android Central App

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

Is your Costco selling the phone? I was waiting on mine to in Texas but got tired of waiting. They normally eat the taxes and include a $25 cash card

I think they will be, as they had the g3 last year. The g4 launch in Canada is June 19.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

No direct experience but if its anything like their return policy, I would guess its top notch. Their terms sound pretty close to Sqauretrade ($99/2 years/$75 deductible) but I don't think thats an option for you in Canada?

I have been using Protect Your Bubble that last couple of years. For the G4 I'm paying 4.99/month, $50 deductible, no coverage for Loss or Stolen but thats fine. I know they are availabe in US and England, not sure about Canada.

Square Trade is not available in Canada, neither is Protect your bubble.

L0N35T4R

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

I think they will be, as they had the g3 last year. The g4 launch in Canada is June 19.

My local store confirmed they will have it but couldn't tell me when. I got antsy and didn't want to wait even though they have some enticing deals.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Costco "Excellence Plus" ?

I have never used it, but I already have my Costco guy hooking me up with the G4 the minute it's available.

I am going to get the warranty. For $99 it's worth it. It's basically identical to Apple Care.

That and Costco loves to throw in Costco cards. I got my G3 for $99, and got a $225 Costco card with it last year. Oh yes, and you get 50 US long distance minutes a month free with their plans.

Good deal.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

I have never used it, but I already have my Costco guy hooking me up with the G4 the minute it's available.

I am going to get the warranty. For $99 it's worth it. It's basically identical to Apple Care.

That and Costco loves to throw in Costco cards. I got my G3 for $99, and got a $225 Costco card with it last year. Oh yes, and you get 50 US long distance minutes a month free with their plans.

Good deal.

Perfect -- that's what I needed to know. I've got the phone number for my local Costco wireless kiosk, and I'll get in touch with them asap.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site

Perfect -- that's what I needed to know. I've got the phone number for my local Costco wireless kiosk, and I'll get in touch with them asap.

Yea, check it out next time you are in Costco. They can explain the warranty better. I haven't read the fine print yet, lol.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

Yea, check it out next time you are in Costco. They can explain the warranty better. I haven't read the fine print yet, lol.

I just talked to a guy at Costco, and they were very helpful and knowledgeable -- way better than at the Bell store.

The Bell store guy knew absolutely nothing about the G4; the Costco guy knew specs on it and how it would affect data usage. The Bell store guy knew nothing about quantities they'd be getting on June 19th and wouldn't take reservations of any sore; the Costco guy knew that in the first couple of days there'd only be enough for people on the reserve list, but there would be more after a couple of days, and then put me on the reserve list. Also the Costco guy is going to look at my current plan and help figure out what plan to go to (I can't keep my current plan, unfortunately); he also took the time to explain the "Excellence Plus" protection plan, and it sounds great... just what I'm looking for.

Very impressed :cool:

L0N35T4R

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

I just talked to a guy at Costco, and they were very helpful and knowledgeable -- way better than at the Bell store.

The Bell store guy knew absolutely nothing about the G4; the Costco guy knew specs on it and how it would affect data usage. The Bell store guy knew nothing about quantities they'd be getting on June 19th and wouldn't take reservations of any sore; the Costco guy knew that in the first couple of days there'd only be enough for people on the reserve list, but there would be more after a couple of days, and then put me on the reserve list. Also the Costco guy is going to look at my current plan and help figure out what plan to go to (I can't keep my current plan, unfortunately); he also took the time to explain the "Excellence Plus" protection plan, and it sounds great... just what I'm looking for.

Costco rocks!

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

A cracked screen is the most common reason to repair a phone. Agreed? If so, read on...
If you're at all handy, or have a friend that is, the screen can be replaced without having a shop or LG do the repair.
The original OEM LG screen and digitizer (with frame) for the G4 costs US$200 (or less), and the price will likely come down.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g4/531296-tear-down-guide-g4-good-news.html#post4487472

When you factor in the deductible, and the amount of the premium, it may or may not be a good deal to get insurance.
For some people insurance is needed.

That said, the Costco plan looks pretty good.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

A cracked screen is the most common reason to repair a phone. Agreed? If so, read on...
If you're at all handy, or have a friend that is, the screen can be replaced without having a shop or LG do the repair.
The original OEM LG screen and digitizer (with frame) for the G4 costs US$200 (or less), and the price will likely come down.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g4/531296-tear-down-guide-g4-good-news.html#post4487472

When you factor in the deductible, and the amount of the premium, it may or may not be a good deal to get insurance.
For some people insurance is needed.

That said, the Costco plan looks pretty good.

In terms of cost, replacing your own screen would be around the same... but I suspect (based on my wife's opinion of my handyman skills) that I'd f**k it up pretty bad ;)

The one benefit of dyi repair would be that you keep the same phone, no need to transfer data, etc.

Anyways, for a cost of $100 for 2 years of coverage, plus $50 for a repair/replacement, Costco (at least in Canada) seems like the best bet for me. Looking forward to not having to worry about smushed screens.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

In terms of cost, replacing your own screen would be around the same... but I suspect (based on my wife's opinion of my handyman skills) that I'd f**k it up pretty bad ;)

The one benefit of dyi repair would be that you keep the same phone, no need to transfer data, etc.

Anyways, for a cost of $100 for 2 years of coverage, plus $50 for a repair/replacement, Costco (at least in Canada) seems like the best bet for me. Looking forward to not having to worry about smushed screens.

It's a really good deal. Better than squaretrade.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site

Awesome! I should get on that reserve list... Lol

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

Awesome! I should get on that reserve list... Lol

One thing he did tell me: the first phones are going to go to people (on the reserve list) who are buying the phone on-contract, not outright. That's fine for me, as that was my plan anyways, but it may make a difference to others.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site

One thing he did tell me: the first phones are going to go to people (on the reserve list) who are buying the phone on-contract, not outright. That's fine for me, as that was my plan anyways, but it may make a difference to others.

I'm renewing early, so it's fine. I was going to buy it outright, but I save a few hundred by renewing, even with paying off the remainder of my G3.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

I'm renewing early, so it's fine. I was going to buy it outright, but I save a few hundred by renewing, even with paying off the remainder of my G3.

I was also going to by one outright as I didn't want again end up in a situation where Bell could tell me when I can upgrade. But I figure with the new Canadian rules in place (as of beginning of June), I can pay off the remaining balance at any time and not just near the end of the contract... so what's the difference? It will end up costing me around the same, I'll be able to pay off and sell or upgrade the phone at any time, and I don't have to fork out $700 in addition to all the incidentals.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site

I was also going to by one outright as I didn't want again end up in a situation where Bell could tell me when I can upgrade. But I figure with the new Canadian rules in place (as of beginning of June), I can pay off the remaining balance at any time and not just near the end of the contract... so what's the difference? It will end up costing me around the same, I'll be able to pay off and sell or upgrade the phone at any time, and I don't have to fork out $700 in addition to all the incidentals.

Exactly! With the new rules, we only pay off the remainder of our subsidized phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance