Best way to transfer S5 to G4

Michaelw81

May 27, 2015
Visit site
My new G4 arrives today!!! Can't wait to get home from work and play with it all night. My S5 was my first Android phone, so it was a fresh set up, I was just wondering if anyone could point me the best way of transferring the goods over. I plan to use my 64gb sd card that's currently in my S5, and I'm in the UK, if that makes any difference at all? Was hoping to take everything over, including photos, apps and log in data etc...

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I've been stalking this forum for the last few weeks trying to learn what I can and just generally obsessing about this phone haha

Posted via the Android Central App

txsizzler

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
For apps and data (like contacts, calendars, etc), do a backup with Google. It will link to your account when setting up your G4.

For media, like your pics and vids, I would either use a memory card, or transfer everything to a PC via USB, then back to the G4.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I've used the pc method like txsizzler recommend. Just ensure the files you move are actually on your pc before deleting/wiping the S5.

Enjoy the new G4!

Michaelw81

May 27, 2015
Visit site
Is txsizzler free? That's most important part! Ha

I've been driving my girlfriend up the wall with my decision between this and the S6 edge, to the point she's told me to hurry and buy one. I'm quite confident I've made the right choice. I've not had a chance to play with a G4 yet, and I loved the screen on the Samsung, but after all the reviews on the AC forum, and the price difference, I picked the LG. Hoping it walks all over my S5

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I used Tap And Go during phone setup, to transfer from my S3. That transferred my apps, but not settings/data, as it turned out.

I'm using older versions of most apps, newer versions might work better if they are storing their data with Google.

Pics, videos, etc, I'd just use the SD card, or USB via computer. Verizon provides an app that transfers between your 2 phones using Wi-Fi between them. Something like that may be faster than using a PC as a go-between.

Please let us know your impressions of the G4 vs S5. If I decided not to keep my G4, the S5 would be my next choice.

Last edited:

L0N35T4R

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Personally I upload all my pictures to the cloud, sync contacts to my email account, and start fresh by downloading apps as I need them. I'm not big on "restoring"

the53rdcard

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
this of course depends on the carrier you have, but i just went from a S4 to a G4 today in fact, and i am on verizon, i used the verizon cloud to backup all of my data except photos, those i had on a sd card in the s4 already, so i moved the sd card, and did the backup to cloud, once i got the g4 activated i restored from the cloud, and i have everything, settings such as ring tones, already preset, accounts all backed up didnt have to re-enter them, call log, and texts all acounted for, took about 20 minutes to get everything setup and copied. i did the backup on the s4 the night before my g4 showed up, so it was ready to go, and i didnt have to backup anything just restore it. so that saved some time

the53rdcard

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
just discovered another way of transferring, download superbeam from the app store on both devices, it will allow nfc transfer of pretty much anything on the phones, and it uses wifi direct, a wifi connection both phones are on, or bluetooth depending on what is fastest.

worked very well for me on some files that i just noticed were left behind and not backed up using verizons cloud thing.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
just discovered another way of transferring, download superbeam from the app store on both devices, it will allow nfc transfer of pretty much anything on the phones, and it uses wifi direct, a wifi connection both phones are on, or bluetooth depending on what is fastest.

worked very well for me on some files that i just noticed were left behind and not backed up using verizons cloud thing.

Including SMS and call logs?

Michaelw81

May 27, 2015
Visit site
Right, so I've been using this phone alot since about 7pm last night, and I'm struggling to find the wow factor? I would not say this is much better than my S5? Obviously I'm going to give it more time, but my initial thoughts are it's only a very slight upgrade in features. If you own one of last year's flagships, I wouldn't bother upgrading. I'll report back in a weeks time and hopefully I'm a bit more positive about it

igotthepowers

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget SMS and MMS. I use SMS Backup and Restore. LG Backup and Restore will also restore SMS - + call logs and much more. Give LG Backup and Restore a try first. The only thing you have to lose is around 20 minutes. The source can be any Android phone and the target LG device.

I've seen in other threads that the LG backup and restore may not work with all non LG phones. I will be migrating from a Samsung Note 3 running lollipop on sprint to a G4 on verizon so I'll be switching brands and providers at once. Primarily concerned with the stuff not covered by the google cloud, including SMS/MMS, call logs, app data (if not necessarily the apps themselves).

Thought I found a fairly comprehensive solution for this in Helium but have read in other threads that it's not yet playing nice with the G4 and I think I've waited long enough!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I've seen in other threads that the LG backup and restore may not work with all non LG phones. I will be migrating from a Samsung Note 3 running lollipop on sprint to a G4 on verizon so I'll be switching brands and providers at once. Primarily concerned with the stuff not covered by the google cloud, including SMS/MMS, call logs, app data (if not necessarily the apps themselves).

Thought I found a fairly comprehensive solution for this in Helium but have read in other threads that it's not yet playing nice with the G4 and I think I've waited long enough!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

There's also the app "Call Logs Backup and Restore" - never tried it. That's the missing piece if LG Backup won't work. + SMS Backup and restore that was mentioned.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1