LG G4: Farewell, it was an OK experience

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
After using the LG G4 for 7 days I have decided to return it. Unfortunately the phone failed to live up to my expectations in too many areas for me to justify keeping it.

Here are my thoughts on the phone in case anyone wishes to know why.

Pros -
Screen Size - The 5.5 inch display is the sweet spot in my opinion.
Great camera - Processing was super fast when taking pictures
Great looking screen - Colors were great on the phone, nice and soft not too bright in your face.
Great design - Great weight and feel in the hand, the leather backing gave it nice grip.
Call Quality - Was really great on the phone. It was soft and clear when talking on HD voice with no over modulation.

Cons -
Performance was just not up to a flagship phone standard. If I am going to pay $641.97 (Tax included) for a phone it needs to perform great. There was more lag on the phone than I wish to deal with. Apps would sometimes take forever to open, switching between screens would shutter often. LG really needs to go back through the software on this phone and take their time optimizing it correctly.

Touch sensitivity was just terrible on the phone. Double tap to wake was starting to turn into double closed fist smash to wake. What is that you say "IT Guy why not just use the power button" I say to you "Shut your stinking face! you use the power button I want to use double tap to wake!" Just because there are two options for something doesn't mean I have to settle for the other one because one doesn't work all the time.

Battery life wasn't that great on the phone, it would sit at 100% for 45 minutes and then start to sink like the Titanic. For those who say they can get 8 hours of SOT, I say awesome! I have no intent on having my phone brightness at 23% the entire day. Maybe if I was in a dark cave having a riddle battle with Gollum 23% would work but the screen on the phone is just too nice to handicap it at 23% brightness.

Auto brightness on the phone wasn't that great. I felt like the screen was always just a little too dim for my liking. This phone has an awesome screen on it and the auto brightness was starting to ruin it for me. I found myself always having to turn it up just a little more at times.

Forced update - not sure how much of a con this is but some how T-Mobile was able to update my phone like some kind of super ninja. I was reading a forum where users was talking about the update and someone stated that they had the update and didn't even accept it. I looked at my phone and sure enough my phone was already updated. I would have accepted it anyways but still it would have been nice to ask me if i wanted to accept it. I kind of felt violated in some way.

Hopefully my insight pm the phone helps in some way. I really wanted to like the phone but there were just too many issues for me to want to keep it. I will go back to my S6 and wait for the next big flagship to be released. So I bid you farewell LG G4, it was an OK experience.

Last edited:

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the double tap, works about 1/2 the time with me...junk.

Agree with the auto-brightness also, a few ticks too dark.

Don't think I'm returning it yet on those issues.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
In my best managed Curly Bill's voice from the movie Tombstone.....

" Well... Bye... "

Sorry to see you go and sorry you couldn't have made it work up to your expectations..

Sometimes we get good ones.. Sometimes we get lemons..

Posted with my awesome LG g4

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The only problem I have with your post is where you try telling me what my own device is experiencing. No, sorry, I don't have lag on mine when switching between apps or moving throughout the OS. I thought it was common knowledge by now that different devices act differently despite being the same model.

Regardless, I do agree with the auto brightness.

-Posted via the Android Central App on my LG G4-

Bosgarage57

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
It really does seem to be hit or miss. My phone doesn't lag and I'm a heavy user, running foxfi, Pandora, and Netflix or a game. Sometimes double tap to wake doesn't work but still really like the phone. I didn't think the g3 was much of an upgrade to my note 2, but I thing the g4 is.

Sorry your experience was different, what phone will you be looking at?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
It really does seem to be hit or miss. My phone doesn't lag and I'm a heavy user, running foxfi, Pandora, and Netflix or a game. Sometimes double tap to wake doesn't work but still really like the phone. I didn't think the g3 was much of an upgrade to my note 2, but I thing the g4 is.

Sorry your experience was different, what phone will you be looking at?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I am going back to my S6 for now, I may get the S6 Plus if it actually exist and comes out. I need a little more screen size than what is on the S6.

L0N35T4R

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a few beefs with the phone but am holding out to see if the t-mobile update fixes any of it. If I were to return it I don't know what I'd get as I already sold my old Nexus 5

Posted via the Android Central App

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
The only problem I have with your post is where you try telling me what my own device is experiencing. No, sorry, I don't have lag on mine when switching between apps or moving throughout the OS. I thought it was common knowledge by now that different devices act differently despite being the same model.

Regardless, I do agree with the auto brightness.

-Posted via the Android Central App on my LG G4-

I went ahead and removed the statement so not to offend anyone else.

txsizzler

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Like several others have pointed out, I haven't experienced really much of anything you have gone through. Apps open fast, Auto brightness works pretty much as advertised (maybe a hair dark in low light, but I am good with it), and my battery life has been excellent.

I do agree with you about the forced update. Any update the carrier sends to you, should have your approval first and foremost. Honestly, since the update has happened, I haven't really seen much in the way of changes with the device.

As far as your road ahead.. good luck! And, I mean that in the literal sense. Good luck at getting in on a 1440p LCD/IPS screen running the phone at high brightness and still get glorious, all day battery life with 6 to 10 hours SOT. Good luck at finding a flagship phone with an camera, SOC, removable battery, microSD support like you do with the LG.

One other thing to note. This phone will continue to receive software and firmware updates. This will address mainy of the issues some people have had with their device. It only gets better from here, and LG has already shown commitment to this with the T Mobile and AT&T updates, just days after its retail release.

Last edited:

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
The only problem I also experience is the touch screen response can definitely suck. Sometimes it misses inputs all together.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I had assumed that touchscreen sensitivity must be a function of hardware, and would therefore be pre-determined.

But someone referenced an app that can increase touch sensitivity. So hopefully a software tweak can make the screen a little more sensitive.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Strange that the double tap to wake phone is one of the best feature for me coming from a Galaxy Note 2. It doesn't seem to miss so far in the 3 days I have the phone. I agree that switching from app to app seems to have some kind of weird stutter sometime (screen went blank for fraction of a second). It is not as smooth as Samsung Touchwiz. The battery life is about as good as my Note 2 with the 2.5 years old battery. So far I have 1 app crashed on me and it was the camera app. When switching to Manual mode it just stopped and camera app crashed. Not sure what happened.

I bought the G4 because I love the camera and the screen and It was much cheaper than the Galaxy line. I get $100 Bestbuy gift card and another $100 off with my company discount and free battery + SD card from LG.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like it just isn't the right phone for you. Otherwise you'd exchange yours for a better working model as I have no problems with lag/stutter or touch inputs and my battery is decent enough (plus I have my free battery and cradle now) plus quick chargers everywhere.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
As far as your road ahead.. good luck! And, I mean that in the literal sense. Good luck at getting in on a 1440p LCD/IPS screen running the phone at high brightness and still get glorious, all day battery life with 6 to 10 hours SOT. Good luck at finding a flagship phone with an camera, SOC, removable battery, microSD support like you do with the LG.

The S6 in my opinion out performs the LG G4 in a lot of areas. I just bought the G4 for the screen size and to give another manufacture other than Samsung a try. I am not looking for super awesome battery life, I don't base my phone purchase on battery life. I am pretty realistic when it comes to battery expectations from any phone I buy. The battery on my S6 just last longer than the G4 for my usage. The auto brightness on the S6 just works a little better than the G4 as well. Removable battery and SD Card I can care less about. I had a Note 4 with a 64GB card in it and never once put anything on it. I utilize all the cloud tools available to me so I don't need the extra storage from a card. Extra battery is useless to me, I have a quick charger pretty much every where in my home, at work, and in my car. My phone pretty much never goes below 50%. The S6 does seem to charge faster than the G4 with quick charging, not sure why but it does.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
That seems to be common feedback at the moment, that the S6 charges significantly faster than the G4.

I'm hoping a software update can improve the G4 charging speed, mine has left me underwhelmed so far, in charging speed with the screen on.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
IT guy, I agree with most of the things you said except for the double tap to wake screen up. So far it is working 100% for me. I wonder if there is something wrong with your phone. Or maybe it is a T-mobile software customization problem. I am on AT&T.

I also switch from Samsung to LG to give it a try. I didn't like the Note 3/4 fake leather back and really don't want to wait for the Note 5 and the S6 screen is just too small.

imnjs

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm sorry that yours did not deliver on the expectations. It sucks that people ended up with phones with inconsistent issues.

Good luck with your next device!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781