What widget would use less battery?

Cwey55

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I used to use the Google Now widget on my home screen on my GS4 because I liked how it pretty much showed me everything I needed at the right times. Mainly the weather and my upcoming calendar events complete with navigation to those events if I put the address into the event.

So far I haven't activated Now on my G4 because I've been testing out Smart Notice, which I really haven't seen much benefit from but also haven't seen hardly any battery drain from it either which is good.

You think I'd see a dramatic drop in battery life if I ditched the LG widget and fired up Google Now? I'm thinking yes because it pulls info from more sources...

Posted via the Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Your reasoning seems sound to me. I've had Google Now disabled on other Androids for some time as part of an attempt to improve battery, but I liked it so much I think I'll fire it up again.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I tried the LG widget and launcher for the first few days I had the G4. Now I'm back to Nova and Google Now. I'm much happier.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I use the Google Now launcher since that's what I had on my Nexus 5.
I don't notice battery drain, but I can't compare mine to yours because I haven't experienced yours, lol.

Cwey55

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I turned it on but it's almost the end of my day so we'll see if it sucks up the battery more tomorrow on a full normal use day.

Fred Wilson2

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
The OP is not talking about the Google Now launcher, rather the Google Now widget.

:)
Fred

I use the Google Now launcher since that's what I had on my Nexus 5.
I don't notice battery drain, but I can't compare mine to yours because I haven't experienced yours, lol.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I know, but the Google Now launcher uses Google Now on the left-hand side constantly...so I guess I assumed (wrongly?) that it'd use the same amount of battery if it's pulling the same exact user info each time. I guess the widget could act differently than the real thing, though.

Cwey55

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I was assuming the same thing. Nonetheless we'll see how it acts compared to the smart notice one...

Cwey55

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
So far today, first day running the Google Now widget in place of the stock smart notice widget, have seen a bit faster battery draw, but it's tolerable because like I said I do use it more and get more information from it than I did smart notice, I also navigated (with location on GPS only) for about 25 minutes too so that's a contributor to be considered as well.