FM radio should be in all phones for Emergency info!!

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Let's all get real... They disable the radio so you will have to use data for music. Reminds me of a story recently in a small town in Georgia. They asked all the residents to use less water during a draught. The community really banded together and started using less water. The small town raised the rates on the water because they were not making any money. True Story.

Posted via the Android Central App

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Let's all get real... They disable the radio so you will have to use data for music. Reminds me of a story recently in a small town in Georgia. They asked all the residents to use less water during a draught. The community really banded together and started using less water. The small town raised the rates on the water because they were not making any money. True Story.

People listen to FM for music? I thought everybody used satellite radio, Bluetooth, or just plugged their phone in.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I don't think anyone is saying it's justified.. I was just saying the manufacturers know they do it and aren't going to try and stop them.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I can say after playing with the INternational Version FM radio, it is pretty cool and I wish the US carriers wouldn't disable it, but I can see why they do. They are making tons and tons off of us now that they no longer offer unlimited data. If they left the FM radio enabled, that would take away those users who stream music and they'd lose money since people would down grade their accounts because they won't need as much data. I'm sure they have approval from the manufacturers as they have their own skin on the UI. The only way I can think of to possibly get their attention is to buy your phones overseas and stop buying them here at AT&T. However, it'd take more than a handful of people to gain their attention. Also, VZW customers cannot because the overseas phones don't work on US Verizon networks. Because of carrier subsidies, I doubt anyone's going to go looking overseas to purchase a phone. Now, if the subsidies go away, which is the rumor, maybe people will start searching for phones that are unlocked with no bloatware. So I think if AT&T does away with subsidies, then maybe AT&T customers will move towards buying their phones elsewhere and if there are enough of them, then this will possibly get their attention.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I just find the hard to believe the average person (the ones that by the majority of phones) will miss the FM radio, they won't even know a version of this phone was made with one.

I also think that the big time music lovers would not be listening to music on FM radio anyway. They are either going to stream from their favorite music app or have music downloaded to their phone. And with a SD slot you can download a lot of music!

Would somebody want FM for another reason? Yes, maybe their favorite (non music) show or something like that
How much of that kind of thing is on FM radio anymore I'm not sure.

Plus don't a couple of the US carriers offer free music streaming? Or something like one price for music that doesn't effect data?

Don't know why they disable the FM radio but I seriously doubt it because they are worried about the user not using enough data. Hell most people probably use more data using Facebook than streaming music.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

Carriers want us to max out our data so we will move to a more lucrative data plan, and Google wants their slice of all IP traffic. A perfect example of corporate greed. Of the 4 major carriers in the US, my guess is T-Mobile would be most likely to enable the FM radio, but they are under tremendous pressure to increase revenue and profits due to their aggressive growth strategies (and expenditures).

To allow a carrier phone access FM radio a firmware change and a different ROM would be needed?

I listened to NPR this morning on the walk to work with their app. The FM radio would have come in handy.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Plus don't a couple of the US carriers offer free music streaming? Or something like one price for music that doesn't effect data?

Don't know why they disable the FM radio but I seriously doubt it because they are worried about the user not using enough data. Hell most people probably use more data using Facebook than streaming music.

Only T-Mobile from specific apps -- No other carrier does it. Also I am sure the disabling of the FM radio is to cause users to use more data. There really is no other reason to purposely go in and remove it otherwise.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I just find the hard to believe the average person (the ones that by the majority of phones) will miss the FM radio, they won't even know a version of this phone was made with one.

I also think that the big time music lovers would not be listening to music on FM radio anyway. They are either going to stream from their favorite music app or have music downloaded to their phone. And with a SD slot you can download a lot of music!

Would somebody want FM for another reason? Yes, maybe their favorite (non music) show or something like that

Streaming is the issue. FM radio is free. There's no stream. As soon as I showed this to my brother-in-law, he freaked out. Said that he wanted this on both of his children's phones because the majority of their data is streaming music.

I don't know any carriers that allow free music streaming. Someone said T-Mobile does, but I have no idea. Never heard of it myself.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Attachments

• music.png
    music.png
    48 KB · Views: 14

ellyenne

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site

Well, I go camping where there is no data. But there usually are FM stations. I would LOVE to be able to listen to those stations when I'm not in my car (which only has an FM radio - no Digital, no CD, no Tape). Like sitting around the campfire. Yes, I have music on my phone, but sometimes I just like random or "local" music. So, there a lot of situations where FM would be nice on the phone. And yes, FM would be nice in an emergency.