FM radio should be in all phones for Emergency info!!

smurfercom

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi all not new here just a new name and account. I have a real issue when a manufacturer implements certain hardware to be used and to only have it crippled by US carriers. This should be illegal to tamper with a makers device to deny the user a full experience. Not only that but here in California we will have a major earthquake and all power will be lost. Where do go for medical attention when the hospital is in rubble where are the Red Cross setting up which direction should I go?

If Sony LG and even Windows implement the FM chip and the carriers take it away just out of pure greed on their part, then they should be sued for crippling an emergency piece of hardware. This really bothers me and carriers should not be allowed to tamper with manufacturers products period!

Who gave them the power to do this? Can the FCC step in and have some sort of regulation on this tampering and crippling of a product? FM radio is important to me my z1s has been the best unrooted phone I've owned so far. I wonder if Sony made it a point to not make tmob to disable the FM chip why do the Xperia lines all have them and are not disabled by tmob. But they disable it on the G4 why on earth!?

Since I updated the Z1s to 5.0 it has serious issues with bt and wifi, to make a long story short I soft bricked it when flashing and gave up that night. Called big brother and sony sent instructions to get it back with pcc. The night before I was looking on LG's site at the G4 Whoa it has an FM chip kweel so I go to tmobs site look for specs and it's very vague. So I figured what the heck I'll try one out for 14 days only after I came here to get the 411 to find out they crippled the chip.

The phone will be here Wed but I'm thinking not to bother with it and just take it back to my local store for full refund. If they ask why I'll just say because you disabled the FM chip. And if he ask is that the only reason? I'll just say tampering with hardware and crippling it deliberately that could have saved lives is just plain wrong. But hey I guess the money is more important.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you feel that way , I would contact the fcc, and also your local representatives. Telling the local store won't really make a difference

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
FM radio was one of the things I missed, going from H815 to H811. Maybe complain to Homeland Security. Tell them that the disabled FM radios are putting the "Homeland" at risk.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
^^^I like the sound of that. I had to look it up, but it sounds good. ☺

Posted via the Android Central App

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I have an hand crank radio at home for emergency situations. And good luck getting all the info on FM, I bet you get better info and more of it on AM.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I have an hand crank radio at home for emergency situations. And good luck getting all the info on FM, I bet you get better info and more of it on AM.

During Hurricane Sandy, our city was plunged into darkness. FM has plenty of good information. As much as AM.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
During Hurricane Sandy, our city was plunged into darkness. FM has plenty of good information. As much as AM.

Yeah been through many hurricanes, tropical storms, and floods. In fact will probably have bad flooding starting tonight into Wed. I just like AM because the news on there is something they always do. I'm sure FM has great info but not something they do every day.

Of course speaking for what I'm used to here in my city. Not even sure there is a FM news station here. And they may be where you live.

Anyway my point being if somebody is really worried about natural disasters/emergencies I don't think a cell phone is first choice for radio news. A good standby sure why not. But wouldn't want to depend on it.

smurfercom

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Yeah been through many hurricanes, tropical storms, and floods. In fact will probably have bad flooding starting tonight into Wed. I just like AM because the news on there is something they always do. I'm sure FM has great info but not something they do every day.

Of course speaking for what I'm used to here in my city. Not even sure there is a FM news station here. And they may be where you live.

Anyway my point being if somebody is really worried about natural disasters/emergencies I don't think a cell phone is first choice for radio news. A good standby sure why not. But wouldn't want to depend on it.

I see your point but my pet peeve is carriers crippling features the manufacturers implement into their hardware. And the end user gets denied the full experience. I work out in the field if something does happen while i'm away from the vehicle then I would depend on my phone for info and such.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I see your point but my pet peeve is carriers crippling features the manufacturers implement into their hardware. And the end user gets denied the full experience. I work out in the field if something does happen while i'm away from the vehicle then I would depend on my phone for info and such.

I get your point.

smurfercom

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I called LG and they are not even aware of what the carriers are doing to their phone. I told them they lost a sale because of this. It seems they are digging into the issue. They want me to call back to get some kind of answer. I hope they have the power to get carriers to re enable the feature. Heck my sony z1s has it and am sure sony told them not to tamper with their phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You can honestly try but US carriers can easily go in and change the software to add bloat / disable other things. It definitely can be bad since they can block things (like FM radios) but I would be very shocked if LG / Samsung and them didn't know they were doing this. I just think they can't really stop them from doing it.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

Exactly. In a situation that shuts down the city for days or longer, I'm not relying on a cell phone that has a 24 hour battery life max.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. In a situation that shuts down the city for days or longer, I'm not relying on a cell phone that has a 24 hour battery life max.

Usually in these situations they roll out vehicles for charging cell phones / acting as towers. All disasters are different and one should have multiple ways to get information (such as a portable radio with replaceable batteries) -- Since it will last longer.

Either way -- I don't see the manufacturers not knowing about them doing this. Especially since it isn't a secret.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
You didn't buy a phone from LG unless you imported an unlocked model. You bought a phone that was built for, and re-designed by, the carrier whose name is on the back.

That doesn't fix your issues, but it is what it is.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
You didn't buy a phone from LG unless you imported an unlocked model. You bought a phone that was built for, and re-designed by, the carrier whose name is on the back.

That doesn't fix your issues, but it is what it is.

But when you put it like that Jerry it makes it harder to complain. Oh never mind it won't make a difference.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
But when you put it like that Jerry it makes it harder to complain. Oh never mind it won't make a difference.

No, we should still complain. Hell, we should complain even more.

Just complain to Verizon/AT&T/Sprint/T-Mobile instead. Make sure they know that at least one person doesn't like some of the decisions they have made. If they hear enough complaints, they just might do something besides empty our wallets.