LG G4 Screen coating issues, please check your device

charlie2bravo

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I've had my LG G4 for only 6 days and today after wiping off some fingerprint smudges I noticed some marks on the screen. The marks are on the lower right and upper left of my screen as seen in the pictures below. I've heard that others have noticed these marks too in exactly the same places on their screens.

Upon running my fingernail over the mark I can confirm I can feel a difference in the surface compared to the non-marked areas. It appears that the screen may have been damaged during the manufacturing process, perhaps on a production line or conveyor belt mechanism as the marks on other peoples phones are in the exact same place... some are worse than my marks and extend across the entire screen.

Please check your screens and post here if you have the same marks.

P1100774.jpg

P1100775.jpg

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
When I took off the stock protector on my H811 & H815 both glass was pristine. This is the first I've heard. The OP may have won the bad glass lottery (or not).

charlie2bravo did you try alcohol to clean it? Got a replacement already? Sorry to hear you got a defect.

charlie2bravo

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
There's nothing to clean with alcohol... these marks are embedded into the material that makes the screen... they're not some kind of gunk stuck to the screen.

It's as though the screens or the phones have slid down some rails or have been resting on some rails at some point during manufacture. The screen appeared to be pristine when I removed the protective plastic and it wasn't until today when I was wiping the screen with a spectacles cleaning cloth that the marks appeared. As though some kind of protective oily coating had been applied at the factory (like when you polish your car paintwork, some scratches disappear, even though they're still there you can't see them because the polish/wax has filled in the scratches) and now I've cleaned (non abrasively I might add) the screen, any oils or chemical coating has come off

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
There's nothing to clean with alcohol... these marks are embedded into the material that makes the screen... they're not some kind of gunk stuck to the screen.

It's as though the screens or the phones have slid down some rails or have been resting on some rails at some point during manufacture. The screen appeared to be pristine when I removed the protective plastic and it wasn't until today when I was wiping the screen with a spectacles cleaning cloth that the marks appeared. As though some kind of protective oily coating had been applied at the factory (like when you polish your car paintwork, some scratches disappear, even though they're still there you can't see them because the polish/wax has filled in the scratches) and now I've cleaned (non abrasively I might add) the screen, any oils or chemical coating has come off

You mentioned " I've heard that others have noticed these marks too in exactly the same places on their screens" - this is the first I've heard of it. Not doubting you, and it must be aggravating, and I can't think of a defect that's easier to prove. The lesson to learn from this is not to leave the stock screen protector on for too long and to carefully inspect everything. The H815 has no decals and it works pretty good. I left it on for a week. The protector on my carrier version - T-Mobile - had those obnoxious images printed on the protector which I had to endure for a couple of days. Fun setting up the phone with those images in the way lol! I wanted to go directly to the glass protector just a minute or two with a naked screen.

david luke1

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm so glad I found this thread because I have the same marks on my screen in the exact same place.. my bottom mark might b worse though. I also noticed the marks while I was polishing the screen with a proper cloth.
I'm going to be contacting Vodafone in the morning and will post a pic of my phone with my name in the picture so we can gather evidence because I agree there must be a number of handsets with the Same problem. Maybe one bad machine.

david luke1

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Ok so I've been onto Vodafone UK, and they're going to replace my phone on Monday. just gotta hand it over to the courier and receive a new one.
I'd asked if Vodafone was aware of this problem and he said no.

SeatiX

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,

I had exactly the same issue with my device, so I went back to the T-Mobile shop and I got a new one right now, got the new one since two days ago, nothing on the screen for so far, hope this won't happen again, otherwise I will become real mad.

I had the phone for 7 days before and I noticed the same things on my screen on exactly the same spots, first right under on the screen and two days later I did notice two more, more up on the screen, on the exact same spot as I can see on your screenshots.

SeatiX

SeatiX

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Oh, and T-Mobile wasn't aware of this issue.

I thought I did something wrong with the device because I didn't see that much messages about this problem.

SeatiX

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
They gave me a new phone last Monday and now I can see this stuff on my screen again.

How did you not notice the spots when they gave you the phone on Monday??? Especially returning one with the same problem. I would've gave it back to them and just got a refund to be honest.

jsu1222

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Jesus...I'm so sorry to hear that is happening to you. As anal retentive as I am in regards to my screen, that would drive me absolutely crazy..... And to have it happen twice would have me in a straight jacket. Did you contact LG directly or just go through your carrier? I've had similar problems in the past in regards to warranty related issues. Its been my experience that sometimes going through the manufacturer directly gets me further than going through my carrier which happens to be AT&T. Also, with an issue such as the one you are describing, especially the person who had it happen with their replacement as well........ Going through the manufacturer may get you some perks on top of receiving a new phone. LG typically has some great customer service..... As instated before...I had a very similar issue occur with a different phone and different manufacturer...it was BlackBerry to be exact. After dealing with AT&T customer service and not getting what I felt was fair relating to my specific issue, I contacted BlackBerry directly. After a little leg work I found the right contact email and to make a long story short....I ended up with a brand new device of my choice, a brand new case, a glass screen protector and a blue tooth head set. These phones are super expensive....don't let the manufacturers off the hook from wasting your time and money be it unintentional or not. Anyway....good luck to ya...

Posted via the Android Central App

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Because there were no spots on Monday yet. They come later.

I don't have any spots on my screen.Except for the bubble on the corner I got putting tempered glass protector on.I had mine for just over a month
Curious as to why the spots appeared, when they were not there as you mentioned when you got the replacement phone ??
Be sure to post their reaction when you take it back as to what's going on ?