help with when to use HDR camera settings?

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Assuming I am doing most shooting in "auto" mode. I realized I had my camera set to "HDR" always on. The choices are auto, on, or off. Is there a rule of thumb I can follow? Most pictures I take are either hockey events or concerts. Not much on landscapes or far away shots. Wasnt sure how to get best possible outcomes, esp with my concert photos, where the lights can get a little challenging.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I usually keep HDR on, I seem to be one of the people that like how the pictures turn out with it. I like the mild effect it has, because it's not 'real' HDR.

I would say mess around with it and take pics with and without it as events and such. I often do that and pick out which ones look best. If you get really good at manual mode, then you'll get the best pics out of that.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I usually keep HDR on, I seem to be one of the people that like how the pictures turn out with it. I like the mild effect it has, because it's not 'real' HDR.

I would say mess around with it and take pics with and without it as events and such. I often do that and pick out which ones look best. If you get really good at manual mode, then you'll get the best pics out of that.

I'll try that for a while -- good to hear you've been having luck with the HDR On when using auto.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

I just took this photo with auto and HDR On. Notice how the light from the skylights didn't make the wood disappear.

Attachments

• 1435182989351.jpg
    1435182989351.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 36

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I just took this photo with auto and HDR On. Notice how the light from the skylights didn't make the wood disappear.

And one more auto plus hdr... No odd light, and the photo is still nice.

Attachments

• 1435183216950.jpg
    1435183216950.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 35

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
One more set of photos. Both are using auto, with the first one HDR On and the second HDR Off. Notice how the HDR
  • took away the glare from the roof of the Mustang,
  • took away the glare from the road, and
  • brought back some of the colour of the red truck (my truck, by the way, full of garden refuse.)
20150624_155326_HDR.jpg20150624_155438.jpg

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
One more set of photos. Both are using auto, with the first one HDR On and the second HDR Off. Notice how the HDR
  • took away the glare from the roof of the Mustang,
  • took away the glare from the road, and
  • brought back some of the colour of the red truck (my truck, by the way, full of garden refuse.)
View attachment 183410View attachment 183411

This is a reason why iPhones take such great pics, I've noticed ALL of my friends with iPhones always have HDR on. It seems like it comes like that automatically but it makes a lot of the colors pop or seem less washed out. In this case, the various glares are a nice touch.

wassct

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
HDR is typically for pics where you want high contrast. I like to use it for a blue sky pic with trees in the background etc. Personal preference, use what looks better to you.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I wouild say, from my udnerstanding, that is a good example of a shot where HDR helps. Also, a portrait with bright light behind the subject.

Motion may be tricky with HDR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome