Thinking about picking up the LG G4

Terry1996

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
I am enrolled in the T-Mobile jump program and I am thinking of swapping out my Samsung Note 4. I am interested in switching over to the LG G4 because of the specs and the feel of the device. I have been a part of the Samsung Ecosystem for a few years now so this is a big switch. I guess maybe I am just looking for something new and would like feedback on whether it is worth it to move over to the LG. Any thoughts are welcome. :)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I like the curved back. It is easier to hold in hand, but when used on a desk it does rock.

The g4 seems more fluid than the note 4.

Leather back is a nice addition.

Biggest complaints about have about the g4 is the poor battery life, overheating during navigation and turning the screen super dim, and poor touch screen.

Obviously ymmv, but in my usage, the battery life of the Note 4 is 1.5-2x as long as the g4. And the note 4 runs way cooler than my g4 during navigation and didn't have overheat issues.

Other than that, the charging with screen on is painfully slow. The Note 4 charges about 3x faster with the screen on compared to the g4.

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Notice how, as I've said on other occasions, LG makes it possible for you to customise the layout of the screen navigation buttons, to accommodate the needs of all users. Thus, if you wish, you will be able to continue to use the button layout with which you are familiar when using your Samsung.

Posted via the Android Central App

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Notice how, as I've said on other occasions, LG makes it possible for you to customise the layout of the screen navigation buttons, to accommodate the needs of all users. Thus, if you wish, you will be able to continue to use the button layout with which you are familiar when using your Samsung.

Coming from the Note 2, I did switch the order of the buttons. And I was surprised how quickly I got used to a) not having a physical home button, and b) having the on-screen buttons not show while in some app. Overall, I'm lovin' the combination of on-screen buttons, double tap to lock/unlock, and the physical back buttons to use for volume and sometimes as a photo trigger button.

Fred Wilson2

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, Verizon really screwed up their Lollipop release for both the G4 and the G3.
The vast majority of the problem complaints that I've seen come from Verizon users.

Fred

I like the curved back. It is easier to hold in hand, but when used on a desk it does rock.

The g4 seems more fluid than the note 4.

Leather back is a nice addition.

Biggest complaints about have about the g4 is the poor battery life, overheating during navigation and turning the screen super dim, and poor touch screen.

Obviously ymmv, but in my usage, the battery life of the Note 4 is 1.5-2x as long as the g4. And the note 4 runs way cooler than my g4 during navigation and didn't have overheat issues.

Other than that, the charging with screen on is painfully slow. The Note 4 charges about 3x faster with the screen on compared to the g4.

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Don't be put off by things that have been mentioned.

For example overheating this isn't effecting all units in fact I bet its a monitory. I have gamed extensively, used gps recently (sat nav) for a two hour drive, regularly watch YouTube vids for hours, web browsing & taking pictures and I'm being as genuine believe it or not (it doesn't change anything) there was zero overheating.

Whilst it obviously is an issue for some, it is not an issue for all.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Note 4 is a solid device, I think that any differences will be negligible.
I think most have the G4 due to "preferences" not necessarily performance.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Don't be put off by things that have been mentioned.

For example overheating this isn't effecting all units in fact I bet its a monitory. I have gamed extensively, used gps recently (sat nav) for a two hour drive, regularly watch YouTube vids for hours, web browsing & taking pictures and I'm being as genuine believe it or not (it doesn't change anything) there was zero overheating.

Whilst it obviously is an issue for some, it is not an issue for all.

Are you on Verizon? The G4 is on my short list as well and wanted to stay with Verizon.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I came from a Galaxy S3. But as sswitzer said, I was surprised at how quickly I got used to the different screen-button placement. I did not switch the button locations, as I wanted to try the default layout.

For what it's worth, some here have suggested the Note 4 as an alternative to the G4. So replacing a Note 4 with a G4 may not seem like a huge/compelling upgrade. The camera would be better on the G4, but it's a smaller screen, etc. I don't mean that as a knock on the G4, merely thinking about the improvements you would see from your upgrade, vs the improvements that I saw coming from an S3.

I did experience the running-warm and battery issues, but those do not affect some users. I don't know what was going on with my G4. I really liked the phone, but I did return mine due the issues I was seeing. I may re-buy after these have been out a little longer, I'm hoping that the initial-release issues will be resolved.

bluemoongreg

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Came to the G4 from a Note 4 (both Verizon). The Note was a fine device, but in the end just too big for me. I know the actual screen measurements aren't much different, but the feel in hand (& in pocket) is very noticeable to me.
Screen & camera were great on the Note 4, but are great on the G4 as well. In fact, the camera is even better, due to the low light performance.
Battery was better on the Note, though my G4 is better than some of the reports I've seen here.

No overheating to report, but I don't play any games on it.

Nevin Thomas

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Ohkay so does anyone know if this overheating problem can be fixed with a software update? i have multiple forums on my issues and ive emailed lg chatted with em, talked to tmobile idk, im just losing hope, my first g4 which also overheated i had gotten replaced to another and now im wondering if its all g4 phones cause i cant keep switching g4s till i find the perfect one :/, and yes ive done many factory resets, my signal is strong and so is wifi and battery is awesome..brand new phone for both, can someone reassure me or restore my hope?

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Ohkay so does anyone know if this overheating problem can be fixed with a software update? i have multiple forums on my issues and ive emailed lg chatted with em, talked to tmobile idk, im just losing hope, my first g4 which also overheated i had gotten replaced to another and now im wondering if its all g4 phones cause i cant keep switching g4s till i find the perfect one :/, and yes ive done many factory resets, my signal is strong and so is wifi and battery is awesome..brand new phone for both, can someone reassure me or restore my hope?

When are you seeing the overheating? Are you feeling it on the screen or the back of the phone?

jsu1222

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
The LG G4 Is Speaking Volumes....

The LG G4 is the only phone.......

....... I have ever owned that has me truly content after 2 weeks with it. Usually by now I am researching my next flagship endeavor. As has been the pattern with manufacturers the last couple years, one or two areas of focus will go into the development and marketing process leaving the rest of the phone average at best thus creating an unbalanced device with a less the desirable user experience. After a couple weeks with a phone the truth begins to rear its ugly head and back to the store I go in search of a device that feels right. The cycle repeating itself over and over while my account keeps incurring phone lines and new contracts to fund my search .
All that has changed with my most recent purchase. I had the G3 and while I did think it was a good phone, something about the interface just didn't sit well with me. The user experience felt cheap and a little unpredictable. I've never really liked the LG system UI from a visual standpoint. It always felt kind of childlike to me, like it had not fully matured. It really affected the user experience for me. The G3 for me was like a phone that was in the adolescent period of an amazing concept. The G2, though I never owned it, was a phone with an amazing concept in its infancy. You get where I'm going right? The G4 is the fully matured version of that amazing concept. That concept being a perfectly balanced phone with no superstar components(minus the camera which is superstar all the way) but rather a phone with strategically placed and optimized components that compliment one another wonderfully, in a way that offers an impeccable user experience. With the G4, in my opinion, LG has found a way to find the perfect balance between build quality and functionality. I am offered the same great user experience every time I pick up the phone and use it. Much like an iPhone in that regard only with some personality. With the replaceable battery and memory expansion capability, this phone is a very dependable and future proof phone that a person could use for multiple years. It is an investment not an expense to hold you over until next year's flagship offering.
I can't say how I'm going to feel tomorrow, next week and certainly not next year. However, as of today,my 17th with the G4....... I am finally content with my phone. I have no desire to even entertain the thought of using another device and for me..... That speaks volumes.

Kko 5

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I am enrolled in the T-Mobile jump program and I am thinking of swapping out my Samsung Note 4. I am interested in switching over to the LG G4 because of the specs and the feel of the device. I have been a part of the Samsung Ecosystem for a few years now so this is a big switch. I guess maybe I am just looking for something new and would like feedback on whether it is worth it to move over to the LG. Any thoughts are welcome. :)

Personally, I have been a loyal Samsung Galaxy user for many years now...from Galaxy S until Galaxy S5...however I got bored of them and I decided not to follow with the tradition with S6 and to brake that bond Samsung by getting the new LG G4. This is my first LG smartphone and I am sooooooo HAPPY for my choice. It fully unlocked and free from any carriers bloatware.. LG has a new customer now .....So Go for it!!!

Posted via my LG G4

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Just curious...does using an unlocked phone allow you to keep with ALL of LG's features enabled, or once you sign up with a carrier, do they disable them as if you bought it on-contract?

Nevin Thomas

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I experience overheating in the top portion of Mt screen and also around my car a region and those areas get super hot sometimes stinging and the bottom parts feel warm, second one with this issue, my forum explains my experience with it all

Fred Wilson2

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I think you are confusing two things maybe, that is "unlocked" and "non-carrier, usually International"
They are two different things.
The non-carrier, International phones (which are also unlocked) have all the features in them and using them on a carrier does not disable those features.
An unlocked phone is not always an international phone. For example, I can buy a AT&T phone and have it unlocked but it will not have all the features.
Unlocked simply means that it is not SIM tied to a carrier and can be used on any GSM network that has the same GSM bands that the phone supports.

Fred

Just curious...does using an unlocked phone allow you to keep with ALL of LG's features enabled, or once you sign up with a carrier, do they disable them as if you bought it on-contract?

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I believe Verizon is the one who has disabled the most features on the G4. The other carriers haven't disabled features as much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781