07-13-2015 03:13 PM
28 12
tools
    I'd like a recommendation on a good car mount for my Lg G4, please. I want to mount it on the dash and I want to be able to leave my Otterbox on it.
    06-25-2015 05:50 PM
    That depends on what kind of mount you like - sandbag, suction cup - magnetic or grip, etc. I've been using a Mountek mount on my Note 3 in a Defender case (I won't take the phone out of the case unless I need to - it's saved the phone more than once), (and other devices, including my Magellan GPS, for years. It fits into the CD slot if you have a CD player in the car audio. (You can play a CD or DVD while it's in, but changing them requires removing the mount.) I've had the phone come out of the mount about 3 or 4 times over the years - but one time I was convinced that my wife had broken the frame of the car, we hit so hard. (There was an invisible 3 foot drop from the street to the parking lot.) So it's a pretty solid mount, there;s no suction cup to dry out after a few years and it doesn't leave rings wherever you've had it.

I still think the best mounts are the ones that mount to the floor, with a gooseneck and a plate to match the phone - but I'm married, and I love my wife more than I love my phone, so no floor mounts for me.
    06-25-2015 06:06 PM
    That depends on what kind of mount you like - sandbag, suction cup - magnetic or grip, etc. I've been using a Mountek mount on my Note 3 in a Defender case (I won't take the phone out of the case unless I need to - it's saved the phone more than once), (and other devices, including my Magellan GPS, for years. It fits into the CD slot if you have a CD player in the car audio. (You can play a CD or DVD while it's in, but changing them requires removing the mount.) I've had the phone come out of the mount about 3 or 4 times over the years - but one time I was convinced that my wife had broken the frame of the car, we hit so hard. (There was an invisible 3 foot drop from the street to the parking lot.) So it's a pretty solid mount, there;s no suction cup to dry out after a few years and it doesn't leave rings wherever you've had it.

I still think the best mounts are the ones that mount to the floor, with a gooseneck and a plate to match the phone - but I'm married, and I love my wife more than I love my phone, so no floor mounts for me.
    I've always used the suction cup ones and I suction them to the top of my dashboard.
    06-25-2015 06:11 PM
    I use an iottie xl with a bean bag

Sent from my Verizon LG G4
    Slytherin_Princess likes this.
    06-25-2015 06:14 PM
    Iottie xl as well

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-25-2015 06:34 PM
    I just received this one yesterday from Amazon, so not much road testing yet. I was interested in whether or not wireless charging can keep up with the power drain from navigation, bluetooth podcast, etc. Suction cup may be a bit too strong, it seems to have some kind of light reusable glue on it. I can verify it will charge even when I flip the circle case lid to the back. I'm going to test it on a longer drive tomorrow.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...cUvbUpU4517304
    06-26-2015 06:27 AM
    Anything made by iottie

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
    06-26-2015 09:44 AM
    There was another car mount thread a few days ago, may be worth a read.

Not using it with a G4 yet, but I just bought a Koomus CD-Eco, it mounts in your CD player slot. I like it so far with my S3.

I don't want a suction cup to the dash or glass, but I admittedly didn't give much thought to a bean bag. Despite having a bean bag for my GPS, which I haven't used in a while.

06-26-2015 09:51 AM
    This is the one I use and I love it. Can put the phone in it using one hand and it has been holding tight to my windshield for a while now.

ExoMount Touch

06-26-2015 10:40 AM
    Anyone have the mount from Spigen?
    06-26-2015 11:02 AM
    I just received this one yesterday from Amazon, so not much road testing yet. I was interested in whether or not wireless charging can keep up with the power drain from navigation, bluetooth podcast, etc. Suction cup may be a bit too strong, it seems to have some kind of light reusable glue on it. I can verify it will charge even when I flip the circle case lid to the back. I'm going to test it on a longer drive tomorrow.

Amazon.com: CHOE UPGRADED Qi Wireless Car Charger Dock with Wide Charging Area Wireless Charger for Galaxy Note 5,LG G4,SONY Xperia Z3V,Nexus 5, Nexus 4,LG G3, MOTO Droid Mini,HTC Droid DNA, HTC Rzound,Blackberry Z30,Pentax ,Samsung, Google, LG, HTC
    I hope that for what it cost you that it is working out well.
    06-28-2015 08:44 AM
    This is the one I use and I love it. Can put the phone in it using one hand and it has been holding tight to my windshield for a while now.

ExoMount Touch

OMG! This one looks great!
    06-28-2015 08:47 AM
    For reference purposes, there's another thread on this topic: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-...stions-g4.html
    06-29-2015 08:43 PM
    I spent a long time thinking about all of these and anguishing and going back and forth and AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really liked the ExoMount because of its ruggedness. But I didn't like that it only had grips on the side and no supports/grips on the top and bottom.

I've had iGrips before, and I almost ordered the iGrip because of this. However, my iGrips have had horrible suction cups. They dried out faster than they should have.

I really liked the iOttie XL and that was sitting in my cart. I like how the iOttie has the little sliding supports at the bottom, just like the iGrips do. And several of you replied that I should get an iOttie.

But......

I ended up ordering the PanaVise Porta Grip because I like that it has those two grips on the bottom as well as the two on the sides. It also has a padded cradle.

Hopefully I made the right choice. At least Shop Android has the 60 day money back guarantee if it doesn't work out.

I'll keep you posted as to how it works out when I get it. It should arrive between the 8th and 10th.

PanaVise PortaGrip with Premium Suction Cup Mount - Android Car Mounts - ShopAndroid
    07-05-2015 06:41 PM
    Sigh.

I wasn't happy with my choice. It's going back this morning. Here's my review:

PanaVise PortaGrip with Premium Suction Cup Mount - Android Car Mounts - ShopAndroid
    07-10-2015 06:45 AM
    iottie nearly destroyed my dashboard vinyl.
    Stay away from it and get a sticky pad instead, it will never do something bad to your dashboard nor phone
    07-10-2015 07:34 AM
    I am happy with with my Koomus CD-Eco so far. My only complaint is that I wish the ball joint (pivot) was tighter. I fear it will get too loose over time. But so far, it is holding my G4 nicely.

Edit- This is a CD-player style mount. I can't think of the last time I used my CD player offhand, so obstructing the slot doesn't bother me at all. You can still play CDs with it, you just need to remove the mount in order to change CDs. I like that the CD player slot is pretty solid, so it makes a decent mount. And nothing has to go to the glass or dash.

And just using a sticky pad makes me a bit nervous about how secure it would be. I did also see some sticky-pad reviews on Amazon that mentioned pads melting and making a mess of dashboards. That's not a comforting thought.
    07-10-2015 08:01 AM
    Have you seen this?

07-10-2015 08:17 AM
    I ended up getting the Mountek CD slot mount. Should be here tomorrow so I'll post some pictures and do a small review of it over the weekend.

Funny thing is, I've never been a fan of CD slot mounts because they well, block the CD. However, my Infiniti was one of only two model years that came with the Music Box HDD music storage which records your CD's onto a hard drive, so once I play a CD, it records onto the cars HDD and isn't needed any more. RIAA put an end to that....

Anyway, review to follow.

David
    07-10-2015 08:18 AM
    I've been using a CD slot mount from Exogear in my 2013 Elantra for close to 2 years now. I haven't used CDs in a long time so it's not an issue there. My HTC One m8 fits fine no matter which case I use. The G4 I just started using a week ago just fits... Will be interesting to see if it still fits with the UAG case I ordered.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    07-10-2015 07:26 PM
    Have you seen this?

I just watched the video and followed her instructions to enter to win the mount! Thank you so much for sharing this with me!
    noobsquared likes this.
    07-11-2015 11:52 AM
    So, I've ended up with the iBolt sPro2 Connect, and I am very happy with it!

Attached Thumbnails Recommendation Needed for a Car Mount-1365.jpg  
    07-12-2015 03:18 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...cUvbUpU4550672
    Well, the test didn't work out very well. The charging plate and the mount come together with a ball and socket combination that doesn't tighten down very easily. Any slight adjustment and the plate will slip loose and phone will drop down. This happened several time while I was driving, so it's a no go for me. I switched to the iOttie Wireless Charger version.
    07-13-2015 06:25 AM
    So, I've ended up with the iBolt sPro2 Connect, and I am very happy with it!

I've used the iBolt XPro for quite a few years and am extremely happy with it. If the quality of this dock is the same (and I'm sure it most likely is) it will last as long as you want it to.
    07-13-2015 07:41 AM
    So my Mountek Snap+ arrived today and so far I like it.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ilpage_o01_s00

It fits into the CD slot - which I don't use and is pretty much at the ideal location and within easy reach.

I removed my Speigen cover and inserted the heavier metal plate between the phone and hard cover and slipped the cover back on. It fit very nicely.

Recommendation Needed for a Car Mount-sam_2397.jpgRecommendation Needed for a Car Mount-sam_2398.jpg

Next I inserted the mount into my CD slot and adjusted the tension knob until it was snug.

Recommendation Needed for a Car Mount-sam_2401.jpg

Then just stuck my phone to it. Interesting too as there is a magnetic sensor built into the phone which will turn the phone on if its placed just right.

Recommendation Needed for a Car Mount-sam_2403.jpgRecommendation Needed for a Car Mount-sam_2404.jpg

Portrait or landscape work great. Seems well secured into place too and does not feel like it will come off with road bumps.

Came with a thin metal plate and a thick metal plate. My guess is the thin works better if you stick it directly to your phone and the thick is for putting behind covers or for holding heavier devices.

David
    07-13-2015 12:51 PM
28 12