Goodbye BlackBerry. Hello G4!.. Now what?

CallMeEric

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone! I've been a longtime BlackBerry user. My first smartphone was a Curve, then a Torch, and most recently a Z10. My Z10 was great to me except for the last couple months when it decided to only work 100% when it wanted to.

Lucky me, I won a G4 on a Twitter contest and received it yesterday.

My question is, now what? It's my very first Android powered phone and I'm lost! I downloaded a couple apps I had on my BlackBerry, and basic set up is complete. What are some good things to get it and know?

Any advice on how I can enjoy my first Android experience to the fullest would be appreciated!!

Posted via the Android Central App

Fred Wilson2

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Best advice probably is just start using it.
You'll find a ton more apps available than what BB has.
I'm not sure anyone could give you meaningful suggestions on what to load, depends on you, what you want, what you like, etc.
You can apps in the Play Store for just about anything you can think of.
Enjoy, you have a great phone.

:)
Fred

maybish

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I agree! Just start using it! Go through every single setting. There so much that can be done with Android. This phone has a great camera so take advantage!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android! I too was a long time user of Blackberry and still sometimes miss it. One thing I still miss is the "bed side mode". Sure, there are some apps that mimick it but nothing is the same.

Just start playing with the G4 and post and questions you have.

CallMeEric

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Android! I too was a long time user of Blackberry and still sometimes miss it. One thing I still miss is the "bed side mode". Sure, there are some apps that mimick it but nothing is the same.

Just start playing with the G4 and post and questions you have.

Yes! Last night as I was going to bed, I was able to set up an alarm and thought "That's it?" Bedside mode was great haha.

Looks like I'll be taking the main advice and just start using it!

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes! Last night as I was going to bed, I was able to set up an alarm and thought "That's it?" Bedside mode was great haha.

Looks like I'll be taking the main advice and just start using it!

Check out an app called Dock Clock. Does about the same stuff.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I, too, miss my Blackberry Bold 9000! Man, that phone was the sh*t back in those days. I couldn't care less about the iPhone (and still never have, haha). I moved on to Android with a Motorola Atrix OG and then to Nexus devices with the Galaxy Nexus and Ice Cream Sandwich.

Bedside Mode is a very missed feature. So is the app QuickLaunch or whatever it was called, with the physical button on the phone which could open up app shortcuts. Very handy. Android has some good companion apps that replicate these though.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
The blackberry 9000 is probably my top 3 favorite smartphones of all time. That thing was a tank. Loved it.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the G4 fun! Winning is the best!

+1 on the just play with it suggestion. Mess around in the play store and come back here for questions!

johnts

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I also came over from BB Z10. Like the op, mine was starting to lag after 2 years. I could have loaded a software leak upgrade to fix it, since VZ hasn't pushed out an update in months, but I was ready to try something else. If BB would have had a new updated all touchscreen device, I may have stayed with the platform, as I like the BB10 operating system. Most of all I miss the Hub for all the messaging in 1 place. If as rumored, BB releases an app for Android phones that in a a sense gives us the Hub, I will be all over that.
I really do like the G4 and it wasn't much of learning curve, as I have dealt with my wife's S4 and Nexus 7 problems, over the last couple years.

johnts

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Forgot to mention that I did bring some of the BB ringtones and notifiers over from my Z10 to the G4, and those actually came from the old BB7 operating system. They are a lot louder, and not as cutesy to me as some of the stock tones on the G4.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Forgot to mention that I did bring some of the BB ringtones and notifiers over from my Z10 to the G4, and those actually came from the old BB7 operating system. They are a lot louder, and not as cutesy to me as some of the stock tones on the G4.

I've used the "Notifier_Eager" BB notification tone from my Bold 9000 on every single Android device I've ever had, lol. I use it for text messages.
I still have a whole bunch of the old BB notifications as sound files on my pc.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2