Differences in various LG G4 models?

KJNaJ

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

I am curious to what differences have people found with the different LG G4 models? particularly the one H815 model compared to the US carrier specific G4 models (at&t H810, T-Mobile H811, etc), other than the UMTS and LTE bands they support?

I am using the T-Mobile H811. While I would rather have the H815, I got the H811 mainly for manufacturer warranty (I live in the US), 128gb SD promo, LTE band 12, and wifi calling.

So far, I've noticed the following about the H811 compared to other models:
1. Tethering-over-Bluetooth option is not available
2. Voicemail number cannot be changed from the one provisioned in the sim card (i.e. carrier's voicemail).
3. T-Mobile My Account app cannot be disabled without root.

KJNaJ

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Wow... Verizon is notorious for crippling their phones 😧

To add to the above list, the T-Mobile version also has fm radio disabled, change profiles (guest account) disabled, and the printed screen protector when packaged. Everything else disabled on the Verizon version however, is not on the TMobile one.

Posted via the Android Central App

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I put this in my review on Amazon.

Warning on carrier versions missing features (AT&T, Verizon etc)
AT&T missing features:
[ ] LG smart world app
[ ] FM radio
[ ] Smart settings, unlock based on connection or location
[ ] Multi-user accounts (guest account)
[ ] Adjustments to auto brightness
[ ] Quick look or glance (screen off drag down to see time, release to go back off)
If you find these missing features and the higher price you are paying for them unacceptable you may use the UK H815 unlocked LG G4 on AT&T, you at least have a choice here. In general the UK H815 has the right bands to work on AT&T (and more being a world compatible phone) but it might not have a US warranty.

Verizon missing features:
[ ] LG SmartWorld (custom themes)
[ ] Smart Settings, unlock based on connection
[ ] FM Radio
[ ] Themes
[ ] Custom lock screen
[ ] 100GB of storage from Google Drive*
If you find these missing features unacceptable you have no choice but to leave Verizon.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

AT&T missing features:
[ ] LG smart world app
[ ] FM radio
[ ] Quick look or glance (screen off drag down to see time, release to go back off)
If you find these missing features and the higher price you are paying for them unacceptable you may use the UK H815 unlocked LG G4 on AT&T, you at least have a choice here. In general the UK H815 has the right bands to work on AT&T (and more being a world compatible phone) but it might not have a US warranty.

Just to clarify, I use an AT&T G4 and I have (and have used) LG Smart World App. It was pre-installed.
Also smart settings are there, but perhaps you meant specifically those two smart settings.
I also have adjustments to auto brightness.

The rest are correct, though.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Just to clarify, I use an AT&T G4 and I have (and have used) LG Smart World App. It was pre-installed.
Also smart settings are there, but perhaps you meant specifically those two smart settings.
I also have adjustments to auto brightness.

The rest are correct, though.

Hmm, earlier reports had the smart world app as missing.

You can turn on auto brightness and the slider still works?

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, earlier reports had the smart world app as missing.

You can turn on auto brightness and the slider still works?

Yes to both.
The smart world app was included, and when I select auto brightness, I can still slide to control the spectrum of how bright it should go up to (it's currently set at 70% with auto brightness on).

Stock at&t g4.

I remember reading other carriers removed smart world, like Verizon, but I don't remember at&t. Maybe it was another carrier.

-Posted via the Android Central App on my G4-

KJNaJ

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
To add to that, on the TMobile version, I also cannot adjust the brightness slider when it is set to Auto.

Is the US the only country where carriers have a culture of crippling and bloating phones like this? I recall there was a similar discussion in another thread with regards to the FM radio feature being disabled on some US variants of the LG G3. I feel that reviewers should give special attention on what features are disabled with US variants with every flagship phone being released, especially when paying the same price (if not higher) for the carrier tampered version vs international one

Posted via the Android Central App

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

AT&T missing features:
[ ] LG smart world app
[ ] FM radio

Verizon missing features:
[ ] LG SmartWorld (custom themes)
[ ] Smart Settings, unlock based on connection
[ ] FM Radio
[ ] Themes
[ ] Custom lock screen
[ ] 100GB of storage from Google Drive*
If you find these missing features unacceptable you have no choice but to leave Verizon.

It's funny, I'd say the AT&T removals are almost as bad as Verizon's. Yet, I hadn't stumbled across many, if any, complaints calling AT&T out for this. I have seen Verizon called out for its choices (even officially on either AC or Droid Life...or maybe both).

I'm on Verizon and I understand complaints about it, I'm just surprsied at how much was also crippled on the AT&T variant.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
AC here ran an article here specifically covering what Verizon did to the G4 but it seems AT&T and the T-Mobile versions got a pass.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, to be fair, Verizon removed/altered the most out of every single carrier. Each carrier did the evil deed, but Verizon went above and beyond. At&t was second. Then T-Mobile/Sprint.
Heck, Verizon even removed the handy call blocking.
Also to be fair again, as I mentioned in my previous post, that list for AT&T needs two things removed from it because they're incorrect. And Verizon needs the call blocking feature added to its list of removed features.

Verizon does get a lot of hate though.

-Posted via the Android Central App on my G4-

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
AC here ran an article here specifically covering what Verizon did to the G4 but it seems AT&T and the T-Mobile versions got a pass.

I noticed that too. All the other carriers, for example, don't have FM radio. Or I should say disablde in firmware more likely.

KJNaJ

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I know this is a little off-topic, but do you actually need an unlockable bootloader to root? or do you only need this if you were to install a custom rom? Also, when rooting, is it possible to re-enable these disabled features under the same kernel?