Play services battery drain fix

T-Rob

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Google Services...

Can I do anything to get this down or do I have to wait for their next update! This is ridiculous!
uploadfromtaptalk1435351393614.jpg

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Google Services...

You can disable Google app and Google play services. Keep in mind that some apps might go wonky or might not work at all without gps

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
This appears to have fixed my play services battery drain. Play services were at or above the level of the screen as far as battery % used for me. So far after this play services aren't even on the chart.

1) Go to Settings / Apps.
2) Swipe down until you find Google Play services. Tap on it. Tap on "Uninstall updates".
I wiped all caches and data for it after uninstalling updates. Not sure if that's necessary.
3) Go to*https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.google.android.gms&token=XhCqnZTn and update Google Play services.
4) Reboot

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...k-root-privacy-guard-or-script-needed.297708/

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, that's the generally-accepted way of making wonky Play Services stop misbehaving. Every time it updates it seems some devices go nuts randomly.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I've had Google Play Services high battery usage myself, but when trying to fix it, I found that I don't have the option to Uninstall Updates in that app....there is only the Disable option, and when clicked, a message stating that the app cannot be uninstalled.

Posted via the Android Central App

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I've had Google Play Services high battery usage myself, but when trying to fix it, I found that I don't have the option to Uninstall Updates in that app....there is only the Disable option, and when clicked, a message stating that the app cannot be uninstalled.

I'm not having it take up a high % of battery (less than 4%), but I thought I'd try this out "just for fun". When I went to disable it, I got a message saying "cannot uninstall: this package is an active device administrator" along with a "manage device administration" button -- when I clicked on that button I saw a few apps (Exchange, Key Plus, AirDroid, Screen Off & Lock, and Android Device Manager), with nothing seemingly having anything to do with Google Play services.

Also, I should mention there are other threads to look at regarding this problem, and this one in particular (as started by Phil at AC) has some replies about the problem being reported on other devices as well:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g4/541344-google-play-services-issue-after-10h-update.html

A solution is linked to here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...play-services-eating-battery.html#post4497795 -- with the diagnoses being that the problem is actually from "Fit", somehow related to play services.

(Note: I've updated the Common Issues and Solutions sticky to include this stuff.)

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
(Edit: I meant the following post in response to sswitzer's posts above.)

It's a funny old business. After changing a few settings, including turning off Location History, Google Play Services disappeared from the battery usage stats....but Android Services and Android OS appeared instead, with high usage.
At the moment, all three are showing in the stats, but only low usage. Why, I don't know, and whether because of my fiddling with settings, I don't know.
Also, strangely, I don't have the Fit app on my G4. I have it on my G3, disabled months ago when there were mutterings about it being responsible for battery drain.
Your links will be useful to others but at the moment I'm okay. :)

Last edited:

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm not having it take up a high % of battery (less than 4%), but I thought I'd try this out "just for fun". When I went to disable it, I got a message saying "cannot uninstall: this package is an active device administrator" along with a "manage device administration" button -- when I clicked on that button I saw a few apps (Exchange, Key Plus, AirDroid, Screen Off & Lock, and Android Device Manager), with nothing seemingly having anything to do with Google Play services.

Actually I forgot but I ran into that too, turn off Android device manager and go back and try again. That's a play service too.

L0N35T4R

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
This appears to have fixed my play services battery drain. Play services were at or above the level of the screen as far as battery % used for me. So far after this play services aren't even on the chart.

1) Go to Settings / Apps.
2) Swipe down until you find Google Play services. Tap on it. Tap on "Uninstall updates".
I wiped all caches and data for it after uninstalling updates. Not sure if that's necessary.
3) Go to*https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.google.android.gms&token=Z23ZuYfv and update Google Play services.
4) Reboot

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...k-root-privacy-guard-or-script-needed.297708/

What version of Play Services does this reinstall? A newer version or older? What impact does this have on.... Anything?

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
What version of Play Services does this reinstall? A newer version or older? What impact does this have on.... Anything?

It will install the most current version. I think it just forces a reinstall of the updates so that whatever was wrong or hanging might be fixed.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I get the same error another user posted. Can't uninstall due to a system administrator error

Have you tried this, "Actually I forgot but I ran into that too, turn off Android device manager and go back and try again. That's a play service too."?