What is the difference between the Chrome browsers?

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The Chromes

I know that a number of people have noticed the Chrome browser chewing up resources, especially battery. Others seem to not have it as bad with that. At least a couple of us are running the Chrome Alpha instead, with anecdotal info that suggests it is lighter on those resources.

I'm wondering if anyone here, or maybe on a tech site formally, has compared the three flavors of Chrome (stable, Beta and Alpha) and determined which is best for the purpose of battery conservation (or any other purposes)?

Our priorities will usually differ some, but I'd like to use the one that will sap the least battery. I'm not at all disappointed with my experience with the Alpha right now. Just wodnering if one of the other two is a better choice given my own prioritization.

While I have plenty of frustrations with Chrome overall (I think it should be simply better at this late date) I don't want to use another browser. I reluctantly moved to Chrome a while back for its syncing abilities and related benefits. I don't really want to go backward.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: The Chromes

I have switched to FireFox for now -- mainly due to Chrome having some hiccups. It makes me sad .. I like Chrome on my desktop.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

I know that a number of people have noticed the Chrome browser chewing up resources, especially battery. Others seem to not have it as bad with that. At least a couple of us are running the Chrome Alpha instead, with anecdotal info that suggests it is lighter on those resources.

I'm wondering if anyone here, or maybe on a tech site formally, has compared the three flavors of Chrome (stable, Beta and Alpha) and determined which is best for the purpose of battery conservation (or any other purposes)?

Our priorities will usually differ some, but I'd like to use the one that will sap the least battery. I'm not at all disappointed with my experience with the Alpha right now. Just wodnering if one of the other two is a better choice given my own prioritization.

While I have plenty of frustrations with Chrome overall (I think it should be simply better at this late date) I don't want to use another browser. I reluctantly moved to Chrome a while back for its syncing abilities and related benefits. I don't really want to go backward.
Are you using Stable, Beta, or Dev channel?

I just visited the Chromium Projects website.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

I like the idea of this thread, as this is something I'm interested in learning more about as well.
I'm one of those weird people who doesn't use his phone for browsing the internet very much, so regular Chrome has always been just fine for me. I guess I use mostly apps for my data (Fenix for twitter; Google Now for interest-based things; G+; AC app; etc.) and when those bring me outside the app via a web link, I'm only in Chrome for that link and then when finished, exit it from the multitasking view, lol.

However, on those rarer occasions of intensive webrowsing, I would like to know which version of Chrome would work best for me on my device with my habits.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

On my G3 I went from chrome to beta to dev and carried over dev to the G4. I never had major issues with any of them but I do think dev is the best on resource consumption but no hard evidence to prove it. Just my feeling with use.

I've recently switched to #NoChromo. It's Chrome but with no ads. It can be found over at XDA. I've linked it in another thread here somewhere. I'll try to circle back to this thread and do the same. I've uninstalled dev now as well.

I have anywhere from 25-40 browser tabs open in recent apps almost all the time.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

I use CM browser after Chrome was sucking my battery dry. I don't ask much of my browser for general surfing so I'm not really interested in any features...just go to my sites and take in whatever info I need. I found that the more features there are the more I need to pay attention to my phone which is really not a goal of mine. I really don't want to bury my head in these things any more than necessary.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Are you using Stable, Beta, or Dev channel?

I just visited the Chromium Projects website.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

I was using Alpha when I posted earlier. Now I'm using #NoChromo.

Posted via the Android Central App

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

On my G3 I went from chrome to beta to dev and carried over dev to the G4. I never had major issues with any of them but I do think dev is the best on resource consumption but no hard evidence to prove it. Just my feeling with use.

I've recently switched to #NoChromo. It's Chrome but with no ads. It can be found over at XDA. I've linked it in another thread here somewhere. I'll try to circle back to this thread and do the same. I've uninstalled dev now as well.

I have anywhere from 25-40 browser tabs open in recent apps almost all the time.

Thanks for the heads up on #NoChromo. Running it now.

Darwalk

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

It is crazy how much Chrome pulls the battery. I have been on it for about 30 minutes this afternoon and my battery went from 95% to now 82%. Insane

djh2011

May 1, 2011
Visit site

Last night I left my phone off charge. This morning, battery dropped 44%. Chrome chewed up 34% of battery... And I didn't even have a Chrome tab open. I disabled and using Firefox now. But, I just noticed that if I click an article within the AC app, and then click "open in browser", it won't open. It just takes me to Firefox. Any other browsers to try that aren't resource hogs?

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I used to use #nochromo but they never updated it so went back to the regular one and disabled most of the permissions for it.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I used to use #nochromo but they never updated it so went back to the regular one and disabled most of the permissions for it.

Yep, the developer indicated when he first released #nochromo that he didn't plan to keep it updated. Too bad.

Neha_w

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
You can try out Cool Browser pro.I m currently using this browser.It helps you to perform almost all your daily browsing habits with ease and faster speed. it is a free app on play store. Cool browser also helps you to download and share videos from Facebook & other leading channels with just a single click.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ananui